JacobyBlack V4.

HueblerHustler7

AndrewActionG
Silver Member
The JACOBY BLACK V4 11.8mm shaft. What ever Jacoby has changed has made for a very delightful shaft to play with. The original Jacoby shaft I had tried seemed to have much more deflection and unpredicted spin. The new V4 shaft has a stiff but reactive hit, It gives instant feedback and does what you ask of it, I instantly felt comfortable using it as soon as I put it on my cue. This is coming from using a 11.8 becue Engage shaft, the Engage is an amazing shaft but the Jacoby beats it on ease of power and balance I think along with it's long taper. Remember these this are all subjective to ones feel and tase. The shaft is dead nuts straight and super smooth, along with the 19in pro taper its very pleasing to stoke the cue as far through as you'd like with out getting caught up on a thick taper end on your open or closed bridge. The taper is long and a pro but I wouldn't consider it a super thin shaft with a super slim taper, this is a happy medium I'd say. Onto sound, the sound is much more like wood but wood can even be slightly more "pingy" depending on the shaft, I will say that it is a pleasant of a happy medium, Unlike the " aluminum baseball bat" sound some carbon shaft can make. Still the quietest softest hit came from the Pechaure shaft I had tried and disliked very much as I felt like I was playing with stale dough, soft hit, sticky sound and had the most deflection out of all the carbon fiber shafts I have tried. The Jacoby's stock soft kamui tip pairs nicely but I will probably end up going with a medium or hard tip to "liven" the shafts sound and tone up, But keep in mind I am also a medium to medium hard tip guy! Don't be mistaken with the Kamui soft the shaft does NOT hit dead nor do you need to muscle the cue around to get any good cue ball action, this will come down to user preference on what tip harness they enjoy playing with but I doubt will sacrifice anything with the performance and power, unlike some other carbon shaft. All around I am very pleased with the shaft.

UPDATE! Modifications! Though the Jacoby v4 black shaft is a wonderful product I decided to do some modifications to the material used for the vault plate/ferrule material. For me the material used was to soft and sticky sounding for my liking after removing the Kamui clear S tip and trying many different firmer tips. I decided to go with a linen based micarta ferrule, this created for me a dream made in heaven. Many may know that Micarta is a firm material but also extremely light weight, The shaft hits firm now with fantastic feedback but still no crazy loud think vocals some people dread. My current set up with a SIB medium cool blue tip. Here are some pictures, as you can see the ferrule when cut is more white but im sure with time will turn to the soft translucent yellow.

Attachments

• E9D3F673-CAAB-40A9-AC02-2F2E85E188BF.jpg
    E9D3F673-CAAB-40A9-AC02-2F2E85E188BF.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 70
  • BCE1FF4D-5287-4950-BA71-1C31CF1DB416.jpg
    BCE1FF4D-5287-4950-BA71-1C31CF1DB416.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0210.JPG
    IMG_0210.JPG
    188.4 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0211.JPG
    IMG_0211.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0212.JPG
    IMG_0212.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0255.JPG
    IMG_0255.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0254.JPG
    IMG_0254.JPG
    125.6 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

SKILLZELITE

Universality
Gold Member
Silver Member
@HueblerHustler7
From your experience where does the v4 land in terms of low deflection when vs'ing revo, engage ?

In terms of feel/feedback where does the v4 land vs revo , engage?

HueblerHustler7

AndrewActionG
Silver Member
@HueblerHustler7
From your experience where does the v4 land in terms of low deflection when vs'ing revo, engage ?

In terms of feel/feedback where does the v4 land vs revo , engage?
I have not done any crazy testing but I have no need to adjust if that makes any sense. I feel like all three of them are right up there in being the best as far as low deflection.

Terms of feel/feedback: Jacoby V4 having most feedback in " feel/vibration " But as ive said it is stiff! but it wakes up when it needs too! So that means slow, medium or hard hits even juicing shots the shaft reacts accordingly and gives you a sense of positivity, as far as sound it's "tame" Idk how to explain it, it just feels right!.

Becue has the best tone/sound out of the box, most likely because of the harder tip on it and the shaft is more vocal but still not as pingy as a cynergy or a Revo, I would say it has a deep rich tone " tonk" the vibration feel or feedback is good, it still gave great vibration feedback of most shots but was a little unpredictable on thin cuts or long shots. I was asking myself "well how the hell did I miss that?" Or "what happened thereeee???" the scratching your head effect. I also didn't like the shorter 14in taper on it, I got hung up on my hand when wanting to really long stroke through the ball, it felt the and extreme change from taper to back taper. Also the balance point is very far back on the be cue! They all are manufactured at 4.1oz standard but the weight is all the way at the back where the joint is made the balance of my cue and stroking feel always a bit off and harder to control.

Of course then last being the Revo all three of them 12.9, 12.4 and 11.8, Ive had multiple and tried various things such as stretching the taper, changing vault plate materials and numerous different tips. The Revo is the loudest hit and stiffest taper but of course known for outstanding low deflection... I wouldn't consider these dead shafts but many do, but I'd say the feedback doesn't even stand with the other two shafts in ranking. This was for me the hardest to adjust to, especially when using power shots, I feel the revo needs much more cueing care and is finicky about how you use it. It's like the kid that won't finish his dinner plate if any of the food is touching, I found myself forcing to adapt to it only for the reason of " being the best" as far as deflection went.

Smoothest and least sound while cuing glove or not would be by a long shot the Jacoby V4, It's soooo smooth and quiet, second is the becue, then last Revo.

These things are very subjective to ones taste but I hope this will help out a bit.

Last edited:

zetetikos

Becue 11.8 to Jacoby v4 11.8 is the exact switch i made, it's interesting to see someone else had the same feedback.

The becue feels much stiffer and slightly less deflection , the Jacoby has a better hit feeling. I'm in the revo feels dead camp, tho I've only shot a couple hundred balls with a revo.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have not done any crazy testing but I have no need to adjust if that makes any sense. I feel like all three of them are right up there in being the best as far as low deflection.

Terms of feel/feedback: Jacoby V4 having most feedback in " feel/vibration " But as ive said it is stiff! but it wakes up when it needs too! So that means slow, medium or hard hits even juicing shots the shaft reacts accordingly and gives you a sense of positivity, as far as sound it's "tame" Idk how to explain it, it just feels right!.

Becue has the best tone/sound out of the box, most likely because of the harder tip on it and the shaft is more vocal but still not as pingy as a cynergy or a Revo, I would say it has a deep rich tone " tonk" the vibration feel or feedback is good, it still gave great vibration feedback of most shots but was a little unpredictable on thin cuts or long shots. I was asking myself "well how the hell did I miss that?" Or "what happened thereeee???" the scratching your head effect. I also didn't like the shorter 14in taper on it, I got hung up on my hand when wanting to really long stroke through the ball, it felt the and extreme change from taper to back taper. Also the balance point is very far back on the be cue! They all are manufactured at 4.1oz standard but the weight is all the way at the back where the joint is made the balance of my cue and stroking feel always a bit off and harder to control.

Of course then last being the Revo all three of them 12.9, 12.4 and 11.8, Ive had multiple and tried various things such as stretching the taper, changing vault plate materials and numerous different tips. The Revo is the loudest hit and stiffest taper but of course known for outstanding low deflection... I wouldn't consider these dead shafts but many do, but I'd say the feedback doesn't even stand with the other two shafts in ranking. This was for me the hardest to adjust to, especially when using power shots, I feel the revo needs much more cueing care and is finicky about how you use it. It's like the kid that won't finish his dinner plate if any of the food is touching, I found myself forcing to adapt to it only for the reason of " being the best" as far as deflection went.

Smoothest and least sound while cuing glove or not would be by a long shot the Jacoby V4, It's soooo smooth and quiet, second is the becue, then last Revo.

These things are very subjective to ones taste but I hope this will help out a bit.
A friend of mine sent his Revo to Eddie Cohen to fit it to his Ginacue. Eddie just made a good fitting joint. That Revo on the Ginacue hits as sweetly as anything I’ve ever used. No special work done on the tip at all.

HueblerHustler7

AndrewActionG
Silver Member
Update, The more I play with this setup the more I dig it, this shaft literally does everything I ask it to do. For someone that usually doesn't like Kamui tips or a soft tip I am really enjoying it still and have decided to just break it in and continue shooting with it. I look forward to seeing more feedback from people that also enjoy the Jacoby v4 11.8 and hear some recommendations on tips that pair well with the shaft. My friend has been playing with the version 4 and say the Zan hybrid max pairs well with the shaft. I am a huge Zan tip fan since they had come out moons ago, but it seems they have been harder and harder to come by now days and of course than there's the price... I have had good luck with kamikaze original tan series and also love the SIB cool blue M I have tried one two other shafts I have, I am curies to see how a Cool Blue Hard would play on this shaft!

HueblerHustler7

AndrewActionG
Silver Member
Update: I switched to a "good" Firm elkmaster this evening, just couldn't help myself. I left the Kamui clear pad and small black pad on, seem to of brighten up the hit a bit but still no "ping" sound maybe very very low " tonk " I am enjoying the elky I put on but still may end up going with a sib cool blue hard, or finally try out a G2 hard.

HueblerHustler7

AndrewActionG
Silver Member
UPDATE: So like most carbon shafts I have owned curiosity got to the best of me and I ended up removing the soft " ferrule/vault plate" material Jacoby used, Not that it was bad but I wanted to live'n up the hit to my preference. I was surprised to see it is a true T based vault plate but also not a solid rod into the shaft it is hallow at the stem insert like. Even more to my surprise the foam comes all the way up to the vault plate and is spongy, not like any expanding foam, when you pass on it it will spring back. The foam reminded me of backer rod or calk saver, google it for reference. I wanted to further reduce the end mass of the shaft so I decided to push the foam rod down with some adhesive as far down that I could without forcing to much ( about 4inches). Next I installed my version of a T vault plate made from Juma and other materials and installed a SIB cool blue medium tip, the shaft performs even better and definitely has lost an slight sticky tone it had, making it even closer sounding to wood. The shaft performs like a dream for me and definitely will continue to be my current player!

DeadStick

i like turtles
Gold Member
Silver Member
UPDATE: So like most carbon shafts I have owned curiosity got to the best of me and I ended up removing the soft " ferrule/vault plate" material Jacoby used, Not that it was bad but I wanted to live'n up the hit to my preference. I was surprised to see it is a true T based vault plate but also not a solid rod into the shaft it is hallow at the stem insert like. Even more to my surprise the foam comes all the way up to the vault plate and is spongy, not like any expanding foam, when you pass on it it will spring back. The foam reminded me of backer rod or calk saver, google it for reference. I wanted to further reduce the end mass of the shaft so I decided to push the foam rod down with some adhesive as far down that I could without forcing to much ( about 4inches). Next I installed my version of a T vault plate made from Juma and other materials and installed a SIB cool blue medium tip, the shaft performs even better and definitely has lost an slight sticky tone it had, making it even closer sounding to wood. The shaft performs like a dream for me and definitely will continue to be my current player!
Just curious, what’s the best way to remove the ferrule on a CF shaft?

HueblerHustler7

AndrewActionG
Silver Member
Just curious, what’s the best way to remove the ferrule on a CF shaft?
On a lathe face off the ferrule/plate then you can see the carbon fiber wall and the material used to cap, I then use drill bits. I have done a ton,
Revos, Cynergy, Becue, ect but all my property. You could also use drill bits and then final cut use a boring bar, but so far I haven't needed too. You could always leave a small amount of the old material to be extra safe and then just cut the new material to correct insert size. Remember this will void I assume every warranty, and should be done by someone experienced or to your own property if you feel you are comfortable with a lathe. I just like to share my findings and experiences with the AZ community, If you have anymore questions feel free to DM me and I can send you some pretty good videos links on YouTube or give you some inside myself.

CavinTan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's a shame the 12.3mm plays very differently from 11.8mm.
Shaft has a very mushy tip even with a hybrid max tip installed. feedback is relatively muffled..

i will be changing it out to a juma ferrule and V-tek pad.

Not only that, the joint size is oversized by a noticeable difference for the 12.3.

The only pro i had for this shaft is that it probably plays the closest to wood, in terms of deflection & throw.

HueblerHustler7

AndrewActionG
Silver Member
UPDATE! Modifications! Though the Jacoby v4 black shaft is a wonderful product I decided to do some modifications to the material used for the vault plate/ferrule material. For me the material used was to soft and sticky sounding for my liking after removing the Kamui clear S tip and trying many different firmer tips. I decided to go with a linen based micarta ferrule, this created for me a dream made in heaven. Many may know that Micarta is a firm material but also extremely light weight, The shaft hits firm now with fantastic feedback but still no crazy loud think vocals some people dread. My current set up with a SIB medium cool blue tip. Here are some pictures, as you can see the ferrule when cut is more white but im sure with time will turn to the soft translucent yellow.

Attachments

• E9D3F673-CAAB-40A9-AC02-2F2E85E188BF.jpg
    E9D3F673-CAAB-40A9-AC02-2F2E85E188BF.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0212.JPG
    IMG_0212.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 39
  • BCE1FF4D-5287-4950-BA71-1C31CF1DB416.jpg
    BCE1FF4D-5287-4950-BA71-1C31CF1DB416.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0211.JPG
    IMG_0211.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0210.JPG
    IMG_0210.JPG
    188.4 KB · Views: 41

HueblerHustler7

AndrewActionG
Silver Member
Shaft has a very mushy tip even with a hybrid max tip installed. feedback is relatively muffled..

Not only that, the joint size is oversized by a noticeable difference for the 12.3.

The only pro i had for this shaft is that it probably plays the closest to wood, in terms of deflection & throw.
Please checkout my update ;) Micarta was the was to go, I also pushed back the foam sound deadening internals and glued them there about 3-4 inches. This helps with better ld properties and vocals for sure. Hope this helps

Last edited:

KAP1976

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Can you elaborate more on the joint size issue.

CavinTan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Please checkout my update ;) Micarta was the was to go, I also pushed back the foam sound deadening internals and glued them there about 3-4 inches. This helps with better ld properties and vocals for sure. Hope this helps
Ironically, i modified it with a wood + juma combination and couldnt be happier. got it playing to where i like it, plus the feedback of the shot is firm now & not mushy. I'm sure micarta or IV3/4 works just as well.

did you follow the same dimensions for the original ferrule for the micarta upgrade? I did that with juma and the deflection was higher than the original.

Can you elaborate more on the joint size issue.
It is at 0.855", normal cues are around 0.843'

KAP1976

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ironically, i modified it with a wood + juma combination and couldnt be happier. got it playing to where i like it, plus the feedback of the shot is firm now & not mushy. I'm sure micarta or IV3/4 works just as well.

did you follow the same dimensions for the original ferrule for the micarta upgrade? I did that with juma and the deflection was higher than the original.

It is at 0.855", normal cues are around 0.843'
Well that’s annoying. Is that for all model cues, including Jacoby? I was cons a BlaCk for my stainless steel jointed Jacoby now I’m having second thoughts