Jayson Shaw another huge high run of 560

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
I’m definitely tired of hearing about pocket seizes! Running that Many balls requires tremendous concentration and skill. I don’t care what size they are.
People need to remember that Mosconi's record stood for almost 40 years. Yes, it's an amazing accomplishment in any book. Don't listen to the haters, they are everywhere.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
People need to remember that Mosconi's record stood for almost 40 years. Yes, it's an amazing accomplishment in any book. Don't listen to the haters, they are everywhere.
But also did anyone try to break it in all that time

as the old timers will tell you all the time they never planted for high numbers , didn’t care much for it in those days

jason

Silver Member

as the old timers will tell you all the time they never planted for high numbers , didn’t care much for it in those days
It doesn't matter because Willie didn't go for a high number either and the record still stood for years. I'm sure if someone spent every minute of their life trying something they would create a high bar. We all know how difficult it is to run 100's even with buckets.

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
It doesn't matter because Willie didn't go for a high number either and the record still stood for years. I'm sure if someone spent every minute of their life trying something they would create a high bar. We all know how difficult it is to run 100's even with buckets.

That’s a really easy argument doesn’t matter
But it does and he did try to run big numbers all the time for crowds
Was that the one and only time he said ah hell I’ll keep going?

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member

Presumably Eufemia ran 625 not long after but it wasn’t accepted as a record. Video evidence and an adjustment to the definition of “exhibition” played a major role here.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hi Hu,
Your requirements might be taking it a bit far. They might have different size and weights for the cue, tip , length, etc driven by a difference in size from Mosconi (not a big person).
I was worried you were going to put a challenger in the same shoes and jacket.

Will

Will,

I do get a bit grumpy with all of the people that want all of Willie's perceived advantages and all the advantages of today too. I cut my teeth on the old supereights, a pool room full of them. Played on my share of the modern Diamond nines too. No question in my mind that I would choose today's tables, cushions and cloth! A few inches shorter doesn't begin to make up for all the years of progress in between.

There have been too many years and too many changes to go after Willie's record now. Call it a new high run, I'll buy that. Not a 44 that became a 714 or a 669 though.

Hu

jason

Silver Member

I'm not trying to just dismiss the argument. I think people get hung up on the details of equipment and generations etc. As human nature dictates, we can argue these generational G.O.A.T. converstions forever with no conclusion but rather end up with just a personal opinion. It's kinda irrelevant if people tried or not, if they played on this equipment or that, the bottom line is nobody did it and all these accomplishments are great.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Mosconi just stopped and didn't miss?

I'm sure, as a competitor, he just kept going when on a run in an exhibition or any other time. That's what we would all do. I'm just saying, if it was easy, someone would have broken it before 40 years. Many tried.

Last edited:

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
I'm not trying to just dismiss the argument. I think people get hung up on the details of equipment and generations etc. As human nature dictates, we can argue these generational G.O.A.T. converstions forever with no conclusion but rather end up with just a personal opinion. It's kinda irrelevant if people tried or not, if they played on this equipment or that, the bottom line is nobody did it and all these accomplishments are great.

I sure, as a competitor, he just keeps going when on a run in an exhibition or any other time. That's what we would all do. I'm just saying, if it was easy, someone would have broken it before 40 years. Many tried.
You say people get hung up on equipment details yet in the previous post you made the comment bucket table

Again,Who are the many that tried?

jason

Silver Member
You say people get hung up on equipment details yet in the previous post you made the comment bucket table

Again,Who are the many that tried?
I made the bucket comment because buckets have always been around since the record was set and despite that, nobody broke it. If they played on shimmed pocket 50 years ago and only invented buckets recently, then that would be a different story.

I don't know...there was a 40 year span. Someone did, somewhere, some place.

I'm not here to argue, so take what I say and interpret how you see fit.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member

Willie himself was a little inconsistent in later years. Not much question with so many witnesses, he did miss. By reports he missed on a routine shot, a low level of difficulty. Wille has said he was tired, hungry, and ready to miss. Just quit focusing on the table. He seemed to kind of go along with whatever interviewers said sometimes though.

Willie kept up a grueling schedule of exhibitions and usually drove himself from place to place. He might do an exhibition, drive seventy-five or a hundred miles, and do another the same day in a time long before interstates. Some reports are that this was the second exhibition of the day and Willie had run 200 balls unfinished earlier.

Sorting truth and myth is starting to get tough. I wonder if any of the thirty-eight witnesses I believe it was are still around?

One thing not talked about is that Willie played a big run game. He planned his racks start to finish to minimize risks. Today's more open game played by most even in 14.1 doesn't lead to high runs. I notice a more conservative style seems to be coming in vogue in other games. This would vastly improve chances of high runs.

Hu

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t think there is much interest. Do home run records need to be broken on the same field? Do Olympic records need to be broken in the same country?

It has already been broken on what people believe to be more difficult equipment.
Who are these people that believe it's more difficult equipment?
The cloth alone makes up for the few extra inches in length probably ten times over.
You think the distance would bother Willie?

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw somewhere around 20 exhibitions by Willie. They all followed a similar if not identical pattern.
He'd miss a couple times and let the sacrificial lamb get a few balls then run 100+ and out. He never continued.

He did this every single time. He went around the country for years doing countless exhibitions in different rooms with different tables and conditions.

I can't speak to the other places but where I saw him he played on the table that allowed the most room for spectators.
It was not re-clothed or leveled for his visit.

My belief is if you put him on BC's table he'd run 500 every day. When it comes to straight pool neither of the JS's even comes close.

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
I saw somewhere around 20 exhibitions by Willie. They all followed a similar if not identical pattern.
He'd miss a couple times and let the sacrificial lamb get a few balls then run 100+ and out. He never continued.

He did this every single time. He went around the country for years doing countless exhibitions in different rooms with different tables and conditions.

I can't speak to the other places but where I saw him he played on the table that allowed the most room for spectators.
It was not re-clothed or leveled for his visit.

My belief is if you put him on BC's table he'd run 500 every day. When it comes to straight pool neither of the JS's even comes close.
That’s funny and convenient but you’re right , the js here did way more, and confirmed, not speculated

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'm sure, as a competitor, he just kept going when on a run in an exhibition or any other time. That's what we would all do. I'm just saying, if it was easy, someone would have broken it before 40 years. Many tried.

He missed.

Later on in life, perhaps as he entered the earlier stages of Alzheimers, he might had said he just quit. And, according to Charlie Ursitti, who was racking for him, Mosconi warmed up for one of his televised matches with Fats by running 589. He had broken the rack wide open and just laid down his cue, reputedly saying, ""See, running 600 balls is no big deal."

Lou Figueroa

wrldpro

H.RUN 311/Diamond W.R.
Gold Member
Silver Member
No doubt Willie Mosconi is the G.O.A.T. Playing straight pool. 15 World titles says it all.
I knew Willie and also Lassiter. In their prime and completing all their high runs without stopping I’m sure we would see enormous numbers. No doubt for sure Jayson Shaw is the G.O.A.T of high runs now though.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
…..Running that Many balls requires tremendous concentration and skill…..
AND luck! When you forcefully burst into a pack of 14 balls without sending the CB intentionally downtable, you risk ending up near-frozen to an OB in such position that offers absolutely NO possible shot (nothing near or open to a pocket to kick at, nothing dead-on for a combo, carom or bank, etc., etc.). A situation that happens (it seems), all too often to me. Being so good a player as to never miss any makable shot is one thing, but breaking rack after rack after endless rack and still coming up roses is quite another.