Jayson Shaw on a roll.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Great points Stu. Mosconi was simply the greatest and always will be. Mosconi had 10s of thousands of 100/125 & 150 ball runs and many other players did also that were unfinished. The idea I’ve had for at least 25 years that if top players were to continue their high runs than 527/ or more could be done and has certainly been done by Shaw.

I believe Jayson will get to the 1.000 mark and break the 500 mark many more times and maybe as soon as this year. Also to note Joshua Filler has made the commitment to give it a go later this year so we will all be entertained to watch on the Legends of pocket billiards free live stream with unedited non stop video to watch.
Well said, Bobby. Every scholar of 14.1 knows that Mosconi and Greenleaf were the best. I've met many over the years that thought Greenleaf was the better of the two, but for now, we need not view them as more than the inspiration for today's 14.1 greats. Mosconi's immortality, somewhat ironically, may have been ensured by Matchroom. Willie died in 1993, and the very next year, Matchroom honored his memory and legacy by conceiving a new event called the Mosconi Cup. Thirty years later, the Mosconi Cup is going strong, and it ensures that, at least once every year, the 9ball world thinks about and pays tribute to Willie.

Today, what we should care about is which of the stars of pool today can outperform all the others. Sadly, straight pool as a competitive discipline has lost the limelight, with the European 14.1 Championship and the American 14.1 Championship the only two truly elite events left on the world calendar. For that reason, your Legends event takes on added importance. It's something of a tribute to Mosconi and Greenleaf that players take on the challenge.

Jayson's runs are just magnificent, and he might just inspire some of today's players to try their hand at running balls. Like you, I think he'll hit 1,000 somewhere down the road.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Was still waiting for possible mini cue trade for expertise transfer.
The possibility still exists if You ever make it into or near my area.
Radar
Sounds like Harriman alright always challenging folk to come to him

And back to his comment deleting shadiness

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just one other point, which has been mentioned in passing about the table Mosconi set his record on: a smaller table is tougher to run balls on.

I know this first hand because my home room with Diamond tables has been closed for a few months to relocate. So I've been playing at a walk up bowling alley with five 9' Anniversary tables. The tables are well maintained but the playing area on the Anniversarys is slightly smaller than on a Diamond. And I find it is much tougher to run the balls. When I practice, I have thought to myself that this would have been the type of equipment Mosconi would have encountered over and over traveling the country. It is mind blowing to me that he could still walk into a room like that cold, turn to the crowd and ask, "Would you like to see a 100 ball run?"

And do it.

Lou Figueroa
mind
blowing

Last edited:

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I want to see Filler and Shaw play a serious (money) game of straight to 1,000 points. It should take them about 8 or 9 hours. Tight pockets. I don't care about big runs. I'll buy it.
Well then that’s just you, id rather watch a 9hr 1pkt game than a bunch of misses

fjk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well then that’s just you, id rather watch a 9hr 1pkt game than a bunch of misses
I'd like the one pocket too. But even with 4" pockets, you wouldn't see a lot of 14.1 misses from those two guys.

Shaw is probably the most naturally talented player in history. There are better position players and better safety players, but Shaw just makes everything look so easy. Watching him stroke the ball around the table without even trying is just weird to watch.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
I'd like the one pocket too. But even with 4" pockets, you wouldn't see a lot of 14.1 misses from those two guys.

Shaw is probably the most naturally talented player in history. There are better position players and better safety players, but Shaw just makes everything look so easy. Watching him stroke the ball around the table without even trying is just weird to watch.
Agree, I seem to remember hearing that Filler runs 200 almost every day on 4” pockets.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just one other point, which has been mentioned in passing about the table Mosconi set his record on: a smaller table is tougher to run balls on.

I know this first hand because my home room with Diamond tables has been closed for a few months to relocate. So I've been playing at a walk up bowling alley with five 9' Anniversary tables. The tables are well maintained but the playing area on the Anniversarys is slightly smaller than on a Diamond. And I find it is much tougher to run the balls. When I practice, I have thought to myself that this would have been the type of equipment Mosconi would have encountered over and over traveling the country. It is mind blowing to me that he could still walk into a room like that cold, turn to the crowd and ask, "Would you like to see a 100 ball run?"

And do it.

Lou Figueroa
mind
blowing
From how his fans rave, Mosconi played the the inches of the balls and cloth. A couple square feet on the perimeter would hardly matter to him.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds very unlikely. I doubt there are ten players in the world capable of running 200 on 4" pockets given 1,000 attempts. I've never even heard of straight pool being played on 4" pockets.

i don't know what pocket size other than it being a tight gabriels table but i have heard the same thing, whether it was 100 or 200. either way it says something about the benefits of straight pool, that the best player in the world plays it daily

tomatoshooter

Ditto. All the games borrow from each other and excellence in any one discipline often translates to the other games.
I like that the different games emphasize different shots. One pocket has a lot of cross corner banks, rotation has a lot of multi rail long position shots, straight pool has a lot of short position and pattern play.

• Love
Reactions: sjm

tomatoshooter

I want to see Filler and Shaw play a serious (money) game of straight to 1,000 points. It should take them about 8 or 9 hours. Tight pockets. I don't care about big runs. I'll buy it.
Putting up the big numbers is impressive but keeping the runs around 35 makes for a more entertaining game for the spectator.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

And do it.

Lou Figueroa
mind
blowing
Lou, it looks like Anniversary tables came in two sizes -- 8-footers with 44" x 88" playing surfaces and 9-footers with the standard 50" x 100" playing surfaces. https://brunswick.pastperfectonline.com/library/BD34D9B3-2089-4654-918C-381488233192

You say that the 9-footers at that bowling alley are slightly smaller than on a Diamond (which has the standard 50" x 100" playing surface). Perhaps you could take a tape measure the next time you go there and see if the Anniversaries are really smaller. A small fraction of an inch difference could still be within acceptable tolerances. If the Anniversaries really are smaller, maybe some weird doctoring has been done over the last 60 to 80 years.

P.S. Whether 14.1 (or running balls) is tougher on tables smaller than 9-footers is debatable. Both sides of the debate have people who are "sure" of their position. Perhaps it depends on the player's skill level.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
I've always heard a rumor about patterns.

Is there any record Jayson made during the run regarding playing the same "exact" break multiple times.

I tried chasing a 14.1 high run, how a top pro gets the same exact position on the break shot is a skill that amazes me in terms of planning and execution.

Jayson is the top straight pool pro of the era and as such can guide younger players. Running a few racks of 14.1 are impressive in any pool room.

Its great that 14.1 is in the news for setting solo records or practice runs. If it was an open exhibition then it should say so. Legally an affadavit is stronger than a recording. Not enough pool rooms promote setting records.

As an academic letting players set and break records keeps them interested in the game and competing against the community.

Can Jayson sell his own craft beer or something to promote pool. The official drink of poolrooms. A Shaw Straight Up in a Can.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
i don't know what pocket size other than it being a tight gabriels table but i have heard the same thing, whether it was 100 or 200. either way it says something about the benefits of straight pool, that the best player in the world plays it daily
Oh, 100 every day is just about believable, but it's still truly amazing on 4" equipment to do it every day.

Many players over the years have spent much of their practice time playing straight pool. The two most noteworthy that I can think of are both BCA hall of famers, Mika Immonen and Jeanette Lee, both of whom played mostly straight pool at the practice table.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lou, it looks like Anniversary tables came in two sizes -- 8-footers with 44" x 88" playing surfaces and 9-footers with the standard 50" x 100" playing surfaces. https://brunswick.pastperfectonline.com/library/BD34D9B3-2089-4654-918C-381488233192

You say that the 9-footers at that bowling alley are slightly smaller than on a Diamond (which has the standard 50" x 100" playing surface). Perhaps you could take a tape measure the next time you go there and see if the Anniversaries are really smaller. A small fraction of an inch difference could still be within acceptable tolerances. If the Anniversaries really are smaller, maybe some weird doctoring has been done over the last 60 to 80 years.

P.S. Whether 14.1 (or running balls) is tougher on tables smaller than 9-footers is debatable. Both sides of the debate have people who are "sure" of their position. Perhaps it depends on the player's skill level.

I'll try and do that, Large.

Lou Figueroa