Jim Odom Cues- My First ONE- VERY IMPRESSED!

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently acquired a Jim Odom 04 cue. My first cue by Jim. The 3rd Blue Book list him as a FT Worth Texas maker. I don't know if he is still active. I have seen some posts here where CJ Wiley thought highly of Jim's cue work. The Blue Book states that Jim was heavily influenced by Herman Rambow and Kersenbrock with limited cue output each year.
Well the cue I just acquired is definitely a Herman Rambow influence ( photos attached) - Full splice cue- straight maple nose, Ivory Hoppe ring with Rambow black buttcap and slotted screw bottom--- thicker Rambow butt handle --- Full ivory joint. -- ivory ferrules.

I am totally impressed with Jim Odom's work- Herman Rambow himself would be proud! The construction is flawless. The butt and shaft woods were obviously hand selected, naturally dried and seasoned, and lathe turned to perfection. I believe that this full splice butt was made by Odom himself, very even points, still Snow White straight maple nose- and the woods have a ring and ping ONLY found in hand selected woods seasoned and cut properly- reminds me of Gus Szamboti's forearm woods.

The playability reminds me very, very much of Scruggs ivory jointed cues- with that same noticeable ping sound upon cue ball contact.
The cue was a steal- $425------ a lot of cue at that price. The cue came to me in a mint state - the owner ( from Texas as well) bought it and preferred his whippy Meucci cues so left it in case for 20 years!

Anyone here have comments on Jim's work? Is he still alive or active? I tried the phone number in the Blue Book with no luck. I found a sold Mosconi Bushka tribute cue that he made some time ago and it was super nice- I would buy that one in a heartbeat based on this experience with his cues. odom1.JPGodom2.JPGodom3.JPGodom4.JPG

Last edited:

thenuke

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jim is a close friend of mine. Has been making great playing cues for 30 (?) years now. Goes to extremes for perfection in his cues and

repair and maintenance work. In his upper 70's now and has slowed down a little. Still a go to for shafts and maintenance for all of us around Ft Worth.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Nice cue, something to be proud of. I convert house cues that come out similar to this. I noticed on your cue a little filler on the bottom of the finger joints. I see that on many of the house cues I cut. That must be common, I'm glad that Jim is still out there working on cues.
Thanks for the pictures.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jim is a close friend of mine. Has been making great playing cues for 30 (?) years now. Goes to extremes for perfection in his cues and

repair and maintenance work. In his upper 70's now and has slowed down a little. Still a go to for shafts and maintenance for all of us around Ft Worth.
thank you - the perfection is there and so is the playability any contact info?

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice cue, something to be proud of. I convert house cues that come out similar to this. I noticed on your cue a little filler on the bottom of the finger joints. I see that on many of the house cues I cut. That must be common, I'm glad that Jim is still out there working on cues.
Thanks for the pictures.
You have a very keen eye! I just looked and could barely see it under a magnifier!

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
You have a very keen eye! I just looked and could barely see it under a magnifier!
The joint work looks very clean, I like that pin too. The other thing I noticed is the Hoppe ring Is thicker then the butt cap. I was doing that on one of my first simple conversions and it was criticized by Hoppe ring coinsurers;). Now I try to make them equal in width, even on my mini cues.
I like the purity of the maple in the forearm.

MmmSharp

Nudge is as good as a wink to a blind bat.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hell of a cue, especially for that price. I would take an old fullsplice like that over a pricy production cue any day.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hell of a cue, especially for that price. I would take an old fullsplice like that over a pricy production cue any day.
Yes I grabbed this cue quickly after a few basic questions to the seller / great thing is he had a 1st generation Predator Z shaft as well for this cue - I just kept the the 2 great original Odom shafts - one was unplayed - and sold the Z shaft in one hour - so my net on this cue was only $325!

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The joint work looks very clean, I like that pin too. The other thing I noticed is the Hoppe ring Is thicker then the butt cap. I was doing that on one of my first simple conversions and it was criticized by Hoppe ring coinsurers;). Now I try to make them equal in width, even on my mini cues.
I like the purity of the maple in the forearm.
Thanks - yes I checked and the ivory Hoppe ring is a bit thicker than the Hoppe butt cap / but I like it that way bc the larger white ring adds more contrast to the overall cue butt - I understand the purists viewpoint as well.