JJ Needs some new commentary

tomatoshooter

I would like to hear all of them STFU. Stop the constant talking on what shot you would take or would have taken.
They love hearing themselves talk.
You're in the booth, Shane's in the box, STFU about yourself.

I don't care who you are , where you've been.
Most of the viewers are knowledgeable, some more than others.
New viewers need visual aids, not some guy using slang words that experienced players shake their heads at.
It's not Joe's Pool Hall, It's a Professional Production, treat it as such.

I heard this guy George on a recent stream say it's good to let the player see the ball instead of playing them dead lock up safe..Who let him in the building? I let you see the ball so you can play me safe and get ball in hand. WTF

USE A TELEPROMPTER , Survey and analyze players options.
Draw the options a player has on any given shot.
It could take less then 10 seconds to see 4 options, if he chooses # 5,,,ad lib.
It's rotation, how freakin hard is it to draw 3 options before the player finished chalking. (John Madden)
As fast as you can say it is as fast as you can draw it.
You can call the obvious, we've seen how that goes wrong.
The player is doing what you should be doing.
Surveying and analyzing their options, there's enough time, rotation pattern/routes are not rocket science.

Any good player, if blindfolded, then removes the blindfold, should be able to look at a table, in a few seconds know where every ball will be pocketed. If they lose the cue ball its plan B, the pocket or route may change, pool101.
Any good commentator should be able to do the same quickly, explain, and draw at the same time.

Explain their options,,,draw on teleprompter.
He can go 2 rails with outside, or right english.
He can go one rail, straight up, left with inside english ( Reverse)
He can punch it over with just below center ball.
Lets see what he chooses to do, and that's it. Not (I WOULD DO THIS, WHY DID HE DO THAT? STFU)
Perfect hit, he hit nice and clean, beautiful smooth stroke, landed on the right side of the ball to go natural for the 6 ball. Or he caught it too thin, fell on the wrong side of position,, explain recovery options, Draw on Teleprompter.
And continue on and on, get a flow.
Add a pro color commentator, not a player, a professional reader to deliver bios and such.

It's just my opinion on commentating, most of what I hear is wasted drivel. I haven't heard a commentator yet that I think is any good, knowledgeable yes,,, good, not so much.
Drop this crap,,I would do this and that, he should have done that,,, drop it, drop it.
If my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle.

The commentating is far from professional, It's not that they suck, their attempt at a professional production sucks.
TELEPROMPTER , maybe a few communications classes.
You have a very good point about the announcers never shutting up. I guess it's their job description so they feel obligated to talk, but honestly, you can leave some space. As far as learning the game, I like the analysis, but sometimes it can be nice just to watch the contest without having every shot dissected. Some of my favorite announcers are the old timers that trade stories and razz each other and watching the game is like hanging out with your old neighbor and his friend.

KAP1976

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
That's exactly who I was thinking of. He's got the energy and pacing for the average viewer and the other guys have the expertise.

Tom Kelley was a trained professional broadcaster who also called USC football. The problem we have is we don't have many of those in pool right now. Only one I can think of is Ted Lerner, who has been MIA since the pandemic.

SmoothStroke

Swim for the win.
Silver Member
You have a very good point about the announcers never shutting up. I guess it's their job description so they feel obligated to talk, but honestly, you can leave some space. As far as learning the game, I like the analysis, but sometimes it can be nice just to watch the contest without having every shot dissected. Some of my favorite announcers are the old timers that trade stories and razz each other and watching the game is like hanging out with your old neighbor and his friend.
There must be chatter, not a chatter box machine. Lulls are ok at the right moments.
Maybe this is what all parties involved believe is a professional production.
And by god please use someone who has a little life in their speaking voice and delivery. It sounds like a funeral waiting to happen. The steady sound of monotone is horrible to listen to, it doesnt work well in music or broadcasting.
My dog just died, I wouldn't have played it like that, my cat died too, a bear mauled and ate her.
But what do we know, just hacks on a billiard forum.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
In the trade, we used to call this.... diarrhea of the mouth, or verbal drool.
I learned this term from Ed Fugate, working with him and Annagoni putting together a billiard show.
Tony NEVER shut up on camera/ever. LOL

oknazevad

Registered
Many of them talk too much. And frankly I find the British announcers the worst of the bunch for that. in all sports. Too much trying to oversell everything and too much talking for the sake of talking. It's not radio, stopping talking for a few moments does not become dead air. Let the picture do the talking sometimes!

But one thing, the thing used to draw diagrams over the picture is a telestrator, not a teleprompter. That's the automated cue card system.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's fun moment with two of the best commentators ever. Sid Waddell and Jerry Forsyth. commentating on a hill-hill at the Mosconi Cup between Steve Davis and Earl Strickland. Aah, the thrill of the victory and, ooh, the agony of defeat. 😛

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here's fun moment with two of the best commentators ever. Sid Waddell and Jerry Forsyth. commentating on a hill-hill at the Mosconi Cup between Steve Davis and Earl Strickland. Aah, the thrill of the victory and, ooh, the agony of defeat. 😛

AZ's own Jerry Forsyth is an excellent commentator! As for Syd Waddell he was Unique! There was never any sport commentator quite like him, unbridled enthusiam and near drunken speech. I sat right next to him many times and often couldn't understand what he was saying. He would invite me out to the pub after the matches where he imbided in a pint or two and regaled me with one incoherent story after another. He was a lovable man though with a kind word for everyone and a humorous view of just about everything.

Last edited:

SlateMan

Registered
AZ's own Jerry Forsyth is an excellent commentator! As for Syd Waddell he was Unique! There was never any sport commentator quite like him, unbridled enthusiam and near drunken speech. I sat right next to him many times and often couldn't understand what he was saying. He would invite me out to the pub after the matches where he imbided in a pint or two and regaled me with one incoherent story after another. He was a lovable man though with a kind word for everyone and a humoress view of just about everything.
Just think, you could have written another five stories and started a third book if you only could listen with a drunk British accent!

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I watch Price is right when do my AM workout.
One of the males on stage Devin has been very unanimated and dry and um..... just not a great addition to the show, like the other man from Australia.
I've not seen em on the show for quite some time till last week.
He Obviously had some training to improve his style/animation and, product communication skills.
Devins become much better at his job, like the gals who are swaying and smiling and pointing and such.

Buster Jones

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remembering lmao at the guy in the 90's that looked like Ted Knight. And I think he knew as much about pool, as Ted Baxter knew about anything on the Mary Tyler Moore Show!

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know what I do faster,, blink my eye or put him on mute.
I'm going with mute.
In 1P he is on mute immediately -soooooooooo boring and droning on and on- I was surprised to find out recently he doesn't do that in rotation games and is excellent.

tableroll

Rolling Thunder
Silver Member
Josh Roberts is great at 1P commentary as well. Super sharp, and understands what he’s talking about.
Two

Here Hear me out! ;) (Thanks JAM https://forums.azbilliards.com/threads/jj-needs-some-new-commentary.542333/post-7236695

I love JJ's commentary during a match. I feel like my pool IQ goes up about 10 points each tourney where he commentates. After the tourney, I can still hear his voice discussing certain shots from the tournament.
"Ya gotta just put top on that one and go back and forth" etc.

And that stuff helps me tremendously, but then I start hearing his voice narrate my practice and it always sounds the same:

"Man, he should not have taken that shot. I dont know what he was thinking"
"I don't think I would have shot that shot quite like that"
"He certainly has a different shot selection than I would have"
"The way he shot that, there was no way he was gonna get position"
"He missed again, I don't think he belongs in this tournament"
"Oh, my. There is no excuse for that"

JJ needs some new commentary cause I need to hear JJ say more positive things when I shoot.

Maybe its just me. :unsure:😜
I wish he could learn to correctly pronounce the work "the"
of the best I have heard is Darren Appleton and Earl Strickland.

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Here Hear me out! ;) (Thanks JAM https://forums.azbilliards.com/threads/jj-needs-some-new-commentary.542333/post-7236695

I love JJ's commentary during a match. I feel like my pool IQ goes up about 10 points each tourney where he commentates. After the tourney, I can still hear his voice discussing certain shots from the tournament.
"Ya gotta just put top on that one and go back and forth" etc.

And that stuff helps me tremendously, but then I start hearing his voice narrate my practice and it always sounds the same:

"Man, he should not have taken that shot. I dont know what he was thinking"
"I don't think I would have shot that shot quite like that"
"He certainly has a different shot selection than I would have"
"The way he shot that, there was no way he was gonna get position"
"He missed again, I don't think he belongs in this tournament"
"Oh, my. There is no excuse for that"

JJ needs some new commentary cause I need to hear JJ say more positive things when I shoot.

Maybe its just me. :unsure:
You need to only focus objectively on the task at hand of executing the shot in front of you and stop worrying whether someone else thinks it's right or wrong.

Two pro players will likely play the same pattern differently, doesn't mean one was right and one was wrong.

Visualize the shot going to plan before you get down. When you address the shot only focus on the minutiae of executing that exact plan. Any other thought in your head at this time is distractive and needs to be quieted.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

SlateMan

Registered
You need to only focus objectively on the task at hand of executing the shot in front of you and stop worrying whether someone else thinks it's right or wrong.

Two pro players will likely play the same pattern differently, doesn't mean one was right and one was wrong.

Visualize the shot going to plan before you get down. When you address the shot only focus on the minutiae of executing that exact plan. Any other thought in your head at this time is distractive and needs to be quieted.

That's great advice. Usually the voice in my head that messes me up is when I am about 6 balls in on a run and that damned voice goes "You are about to run this table" then that next "give me" shot goes in but the cue ball spins in place and gives me a three bank position to make the next ball and get any kind of shape....

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

Jimmy Rempe once said, "It's not so much about shot choice as it is about shot execution. "

Last edited:

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's great advice. Usually the voice in my head that messes me up is when I am about 6 balls in on a run and that damned voice goes "You are about to run this table" then that next "give me" shot goes in but the cue ball spins in place and gives me a three bank position to make the next ball and get any kind of shape....
I have a ton of experience wth the voices in my head

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jimmy Rempe once said, "It's not so much about shot choice as it is about shot execution. "
That was the best lesson I ever learned. You have to be absolute in your commitment to whatever you choose to do. If your unsure you should not be down on the shot.

I get up and readress the shot if any distracting or negative thought creeps in during that final phase.