John Wooden, a pool hustler?

8ballEinstein

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought this was interesting.

The latest Los Angeles Magazine has an article written by Kareem Abdul-Jabbar about his old coach, John Wooden.

"Two memories stick out in my mind because each represents a totally different side of him. The first happened when the UCLA team was on the road. We'd just finished dinner in the university hall and were walking out through the student union. There were several pool tables lined up. Mike Warren and Lucius Allen both fancied themselves as pool sharks. Mike even had his own customized pool cue. They started shooting around, showing off a little to the rest of us. Suddenly Coach Wooden grabs a cue from the wall and starts drilling balls into the pockets. Bam, bam, bam. We all watched in open-mouthed amazement as he set up elaborate trick shots straight out of The Hustler.When he finally finished his demonstration, I asked how he was able to do that. He grinned and said, ' The result of misspent hours of my youth.' It was so hard for me to imagine this upright, pious man as a teenager hunkered over a pool table hustling the locals ..."

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
8ballEinstein...It also didn't hurt that John Wooden had a lifetime friendship with Jack White. Jack spent a week at UCLA every year for more than 25 consecutive years, drawing all the BB players into his tournaments. Wooden was known to be VERY strict with his players, not allowing them off campus...with the exception of going to Jack & Mollie's apartment in W. Hollywood. Kareem, Lucius, Sven Nader, and several other players would often spend hours at Jack's house, where Mollie would cook for them. I have no doubt that the trickshots Wooden knew, were a result of his friendship with Jack.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

I thought this was interesting.

The latest Los Angeles Magazine has an article written by Kareem Abdul-Jabbar about his old coach, John Wooden.

"Two memories stick out in my mind because each represents a totally different side of him. The first happened when the UCLA team was on the road. We'd just finished dinner in the university hall and were walking out through the student union. There were several pool tables lined up. Mike Warren and Lucius Allen both fancied themselves as pool sharks. Mike even had his own customized pool cue. They started shooting around, showing off a little to the rest of us. Suddenly Coach Wooden grabs a cue from the wall and starts drilling balls into the pockets. Bam, bam, bam. We all watched in open-mouthed amazement as he set up elaborate trick shots straight out of The Hustler.When he finally finished his demonstration, I asked how he was able to do that. He grinned and said, ' The result of misspent hours of my youth.' It was so hard for me to imagine this upright, pious man as a teenager hunkered over a pool table hustling the locals ..."

8ballEinstein

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
8ballEinstein...It also didn't hurt that John Wooden had a lifetime friendship with Jack White. Jack spent a week at UCLA every year for more than 25 consecutive years, drawing all the BB players into his tournaments. Wooden was known to be VERY strict with his players, not allowing them off campus...with the exception of going to Jack & Mollie's apartment in W. Hollywood. Kareem, Lucius, Sven Nader, and several other players would often spend hours at Jack's house, where Mollie would cook for them. I have no doubt that the trickshots Wooden knew, were a result of his friendship with Jack.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Real good info, Scott. How did you know about all this?

Rep coming your way.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
8ballEinstein...Few entertainers have had successful runs like Jack White (and NO other poolplayers that I know of), where they have returned to the same venue for decades. UCLA was one of Jack's favorite schools, and he had multi-decade appearance runs at more than a dozen schools across the country. I've known Jack White since 1971, and as his protege, have learned a LOT of his history. I took over his tour in 1995. Jack is retired and still living in S. CA.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Real good info, Scott. How did you know about all this?

Rep coming your way.

Last edited:

lunchmoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
8ballEinstein...Few entertainers have had successful runs like Jack White (and NO other poolplayers that I know of), where they have returned to the same venue for decades. UCLA was one of Jack's favorite schools, and he had multi-decade appearance runs at more than a dozen schools across the country. I've known Jack White since 1971, and as his protege, have learned a LOT of his history. I took over his tour in 1995. Jack is retired and still living in S. CA.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

I saw Jack for the first time back in 1972 and several times after that. He should be in the thread about players with charisma. A few years back I asked Mike Massey about Jack and among other things, Mike said that Jack was one of the very few players that could come close to Fats in the conversation department. He is a very unique person and I still remember the time spent watching his exhibitions.

Lunchmoney

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lunchmoney...I'd have to agree with both your comment and Massey's! Jack could certainly BS with the best of the them! LOL...and he could back it up with some awesome play!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

I saw Jack for the first time back in 1972 and several times after that. He should be in the thread about players with charisma. A few years back I asked Mike Massey about Jack and among other things, Mike said that Jack was one of the very few players that could come close to Fats in the conversation department. He is a very unique person and I still remember the time spent watching his exhibitions.

Lunchmoney

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
I just missed Wooden. He retired in '75 and I began attending UCLA in '78. IIRC, the student union had three 9'ers and they played nicely. I played there a little in the beginning before I joined animal house...