Joint collar mismatch- aftermarket shafts- and OCD

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
where to start? :eek:

yes, you are OCD.

yes, mee, too. :)

That is the kind of stuff that drives me batty.

and my toilet paper *MUST* go over the top like a freakin waterfall. What's so hard to understand about that?

I spent quite a while trying to match some brown phenolic to put on a tiger shaft that I wanted to use on one of my cues, never could get it quite right - I think it affects my play. :D :eek:

Of course for many cues there's the easy aftermarket options for plain black or black w/silver ring collars but for fancy rings, you either have to pay to have them matched or there's always the no-collar aftermarket shafts and no more match problem except the symmetry thing. :angry:

I do have an idea on what you could do with those TS shafts. Send me pics. :yeah::canoodle:

best,
brian kc

I totally agree with you..............Except on the toilet paper thing, why do you want it on backwards??? Its supposed to unroll from behind the roll, it makes for the same clean look you like on cues.:thumbup:

This is what is holding me up on getting another G-Core for my player. McDermott says they need the butt for 1-2 weeks to make another shaft and they are local, I drive right past everyday on my way to and home from work.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I understand completely. Yes it is OCD, check your medical books. It goes back to 1966. That's when Pan/Shovel disorder started, then evolved into other fields. That guy with the mismatched 314 on top of his Joss may also have a Twinkie in the garage with JP apes on it. Sad!

The world ended in 1965 when they put an electric starter on the Panhead. Everything since then has simply been a post-apocalyptic nightmare. Don't even get me started on Twinkies....

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
I gave up fighting the toilet paper thing too ... too many backwards people out there to argue with.

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chop, I have to give a pass to the electric leg of '65. I had a '59 Triumph Tiger Cub, Lucas electrics ya know. After that, any electrics that worked was fine by me. No more walking in the rain, Still have some Whitworth wrenches, somewhere.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First, the ring design. I can't deal with it if they don't match. :angry:

Second, the diameter. If the diameter does not match I can't deal with it. :angry:

So...aftermarket shafts are all the rage. But I know most of you guys are not sending blanks off to be matched to your butt, you are playing "off the shelf" aftermarket shafts.

Really?

Use a but and shaft without rings and your problem becomes diameter management.

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First, the ring design. I can't deal with it if they don't match. :angry:
Second, the diameter. If the diameter does not match I can't deal with it. :angry:
Do you wear socks that don't match?
Do you wear shoes that don't match?
Do you have four different tires on your car?
Check your wife...does the carpet match the drapes?

Ring design - I prefer they match, but not a huge deal
Diameter - this must match
Socks & shoes - must match
Tires - My brands and tread pattern dont match, but the size does
Carpet & Drapes - no carpet....

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 137

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I totally agree with you..............Except on the toilet paper thing, why do you want it on backwards??? Its supposed to unroll from behind the roll, it makes for the same clean look you like on cues.:thumbup:

This is what is holding me up on getting another G-Core for my player. McDermott says they need the butt for 1-2 weeks to make another shaft and they are local, I drive right past everyday on my way to and home from work.

Tp is a damn circle. It always unrolls from the back side if you go back far enough!

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chop, I have to give a pass to the electric leg of '65. I had a '59 Triumph Tiger Cub, Lucas electrics ya know. After that, any electrics that worked was fine by me. No more walking in the rain, Still have some Whitworth wrenches, somewhere.

I have a Triumph too. 750 Tiger chopper.

Lucas electrics suck.

But my Trumpet is post-Whitowrth...it's a 1978 750 5 speed...TR7RV, left foot shift.

And I have it wired with a negative ground. :eek: Sacrilege! :thumbup:

If you want something to not run or burn to the ground have a Brit wire it! :D

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
Buy a schon. Single ring. Every schon after market shaft fits to a t. Beautiful playing cue and easy for the OCD type to please. I can't stand it either. I had a great playing Cue that I got rid of bc of it. I've done it before where it was mismatched. But can't go wrong with a schon. Absolutely love my set up. Also need a leather wrap installed on it and then I'll be as happy as a pig in shit

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

prpavi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's something to help you conquer your OCD

This is the original shaft on my cue

OHqtOWg.jpg

This is 314, check the sides, jummy :grin::grin::grin:

j0PxFQD.jpg

Jimbojim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I once had a bright red ferrule installed on my bar-banger cue. It was purely for psych.-warfare. A couple guys i played were cue purists and if i put on that shaft they could NOT make a ball 'cause they were ate up with thinking about the red ferrule. As far as collars go, i could not care less about this. As long as the outside diameter is close i'm good. OC i'm not. At least pool-wise.

So you purposefully tried to play mind games with your opponents and couldn't just beat them fair and square?

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
?????????????????

I'm sorry guys, but I cannot relate to all the 'extreme OCD' expressed here!..If your playing cue feels good, and hits good..what difference could it possibly make what it looks like?..How can anything as superficial as 'looks' replace that?..Do you only want to impress people with your 'good taste'?..Or do you want play your best, and win?..:confused:

PS..Sorry fellas, but sometimes I wonder how many really advanced, quality players we have on this forum!..Proper toilet paper placement is much more important than a pretty, symmetrically ringed cuestick! :sorry:

Last edited:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Doc, what is this thread of yours trying to prove here. That somehow pool cue joint alignment is as important as toilet paper roll alignment?

Toilet paper roll hanging direction has historically been a continuous item of contentious debate since the time of Thomas Crapper. The Wikipedia article called Toilet Paper Orientation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toilet_paper_orientation is hilarious.

Full of facts, but the writer knew how to draw every humorous nuance out of his material, so to speak.

What this proves then is that when considering both pool cues and toilet paper,

Beauty is truly in the butt of the beholder.

Prove?

I am not trying to prove anything at all! Just curious how others feel on these matters. :smile:

TP? Funny side conversation.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you only want to impress people with your 'good taste'?..Or do you want play your best, and win?..:confused:

You have committed a classic logical error. The two matters are not mutually exclusive. One need not choose one or the other.

Frankly, I don't care what it looks like to other people either. That was an assumption on your part, and another logical error. I am only concerned with my own cue. I was curious how others feel about their own cue.

It really does not bother me in the least how others feel about their own cue and these matters. But I do find it mildly interesting to talk about.

Toilet paper orientation is, of course, a much more serious matter. When you hang it wrong I have to use it. Corrective action is easy enough. :D

I don't have to use your cue so I don't care if you have mismatched parts.

I just wonder how others think and feel about these matters. It's just a casual conversation.

Who suggested I thought it was more important than how one plays? Certainly not me. :smile:

Who suggested I would try yo impress anybody with anything? Certainly not me. :smile:

But for some it will be more than a casual conversation I guess. Those that claim it does not matter or that it should not even be talked about seem to have bigger issues than I do. I jokingly said I had OCD. It was just self deprecating humor.