joint pin question

Canadian cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi,

My pin is truncated with a slight conical taper and I use a stepped minor to accommodate a tight fitting pin / insert interface. The standard 3/8 14 tap with a .312 minor is somewhat of a loose fit for a pool joint so I create an undersized minor then I hand fit every female shaft thread so when it faces it is very tight. Before this hand fitting procedure two hands can not make the joint facing for the last 1/4" of travel because of the pin's geometry.

It is extra work but I believe it is worth it because stitch ring line ups remain constant over time and repeated use because the insert material does not get a chance to degrade like wood and the very tight fit in the last half turn facilitates that.

So I guess I have the ultimate bastard set up but I like the outcome achieved with my custom made pins and insert. After all cue making is about holding tight repeatable tolerances.

Customers don't like pins that loosen up or degrade the female threads. This was my way to avoid that and it took me 5 years to hone my method.

So I think a bastard thread is good if it has an engineering advantage.

JMO,

Rick

This is probably why he doesn't notice it in the end product, if his pin is tapered and his threaded hole it straight then the pin can tilt a little and he wont notice that the insert is off axis. So long as he faces his joint off nice then his cue should still roll nice. I don't think Rick would knowingly send out cues that the shaft would not roll nice. He just compensates for his errors in the insert with a tapered pin. Just a guess based on what he has told us. I have no dog in this but curious as to why he wouldn't have had any major problems if he has been doing it this way for five years. You would think at least a few of his customers would have noticed by now if it was a problem.

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
Kim, I think this is what people are having difficulty understanding.

When the pin is originally installed on a straight shaft that was just faced, the pin is 90° to the face and perfectly in line with the axis of the shaft.
However, if the shaft warps (exaggerated), the pin is still 90° to the face but it is no longer perfectly in line with the axis of the shaft.

When the warp is machined away, the pin's center will be concentric to the shaft, however, the pin & tapped hole will be off-angle to the centerline of the shaft.

As far as I can see, the only way to reconcile this is to use a shaft blank that remains perfectly straight. I'm still looking for one.

Hi Bob,

The example you show on the drawing is a shaft that has moved to a configuration where the face angle moved 6 degrees and it would be absolutely non usable if it were to move that bad from .910 to .850 for sure.

Shafts that are rested and at .910 and move a thousand or two in the middle will cut out any centerline variance and the shafts re center when taking a .010 curf cuts in my experience. The larger ramp on the metal centers is seated on the dead side and remains 90 degrees to the face and any slight variance cuts on the middle taper contour equlize and after that and both sides is on centerline X.

As I said the shafts roll true on the surface plate by themselves as the air gap is not moving up and down when rolled and they roll true on the table joined to the butt and also at the joint and when rolled on the rail without an elevation bob at the joint. Is this not the standard as to how to judge a completed cue's construction concerning all the factors that can disrupt concentricity relative to pin, thread, and taper geometries.

Call me crazy but that's my standard for observation and completing a cue. The shafts coming off my machine have a very shinny rms finish and before and after the slight sanding they run true and do not wiggle in the wood lathe running at 1500 rpm between the metal dead center and wood center at the tip. What more can I say.

So if the shaft moves after the final cut, any variance in the contour as you show it on your print will reveal threads that will not be parallel to the x taper I agree. This would be a rejected shaft to those who tap after final taper cut also. So it is a moot point. Your 6 degree example is very extreme.

In the last year I have had 3 shafts go goofy from .910 to .850 which were shitcanned. The only draw back to my method is at that point if you lose a shaft you lose a joint collar and a ring also. As you might expect I have a contingencey with extra rings in reserve.

Your abilities and reputation as a super pro machinist is known by all including myself. It is not my intention to argue with you. All i can hope to do is report my observations and listen to anything you may say in responce to same. I am not a machinist but only someone who uses my machines as tools to build cue. When I need fixtures or devices made to build my cues I go to my machinist to that end.

Maybe my shaft processing procedure is part of the combination of singular events that has led to my sucess in this area. All my shaft @ .910 have been in my shop for at least six years and have been tapered to various dimensions and bad ones have been culled when they reveal themselves. The ones at .910 are ones that I have been close up and familiar with for many years and they recieve the concentric pin devices for tapering to final.

Many cue makers order shaft wood and start building cues with new blanks. I hand pick my planks, cut them on the bandsaw and then put them through my doweling machine before the initial tapering begins. Also my wood is killed dried and all the wood is from Iron Mt. Michigan where the iron and mineral content is very very high creating very dense hardwood. Then I select 5/4 planks not 4/4 and I get about two or three planks per bunk inspected which is about 200 boards. Perhaps this can be the step that some have said I may be omitting from my method that is integral to my overall system. I also coat my blanks with wood hardener between all cuts.

When you buy a cone from someone else you have no knowledge of it's perigee or how it has been processed to the form you have received it. Who knows?

JMO Respectfully,

Rick

Last edited:

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member

When the pin is originally installed on a straight shaft that was just faced, the pin is 90° to the face and perfectly in line with the axis of the shaft.
However, if the shaft warps (exaggerated), the pin is still 90° to the face but it is no longer perfectly in line with the axis of the shaft.

When the warp is machined away, the pin's center will be concentric to the shaft, however, the pin & tapped hole will be off-angle to the centerline of the shaft.

As far as I can see, the only way to reconcile this is to use a shaft blank that remains perfectly straight. I'm still looking for one.

I see what you are saying and I agree that it could look like that. I put 1n my insert and tap the threads and chamfer the hole after I have turned the blank to about .590 at the tip..... I finish turn the shaft on the chamfer and the center drilled hole in the tip.

I buy good blanks and I only lose less than 5%.... The cues and shafts roll straight on a table and in the lathe............. I don't think I have ever experienced that problem....... not that I noticed anyway. I admit that I have had a few shafts that have a slight bump in them on final cut but it never caused a noticeable problem.

When I first started building I did try to turn a shaft with a large bend and it turned out trash......... learned a lesson ..... I could not get it to roll straight no matter what I did even though if looked nice in the lathe..... I believe that is what you are talking about.

Kim

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
scdiveteam said:
Call me crazy but that's my standard for observation and completing a cue. The shafts coming off my machine have a very shinny rms finish and before and after the slight sanding they run true and do not wiggle in the wood lathe running at 1500 rpm between the metal dead center and wood center at the tip. What more can I say.

No, call me crazy. But if your shaft isn't spinning straight at all range of rpm's, doesn't that make the shaft not straight? The shafts from my playing and break cues run dead straight no matter what rpm they are turning at in my lathe. I can't be the only one to see the absolute absurdity in your statement that 1500rpm is what you use to judge a straight shaft by.

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
No, call me crazy. But if your shaft isn't spinning straight at all range of rpm's, doesn't that make the shaft not straight? The shafts from my playing and break cues run dead straight no matter what rpm they are turning at in my lathe. I can't be the only one to see the absolute absurdity in your statement that 1500rpm is what you use to judge a straight shaft by.

Hi,

As the rpm is raised high enough even a dead perfect shaft will want to oscillate at some point as you keep increasing the rpm speed. Going past the 1500 / 2000 range requires a cautious operator to put their hand on the shaft as they energize the power switch or increase speed because a shaft will jump centers at some point if you keep increasing the speed.

IMO 1500 rpm a is the standard that I use for observing my shafts to judge for straightness between centers. It is the normal speed position my wood lathe hangs out at most of the time.

I don't know how fast your lathe goes but if you take your perfect shafts up high enough they will become missiles at some point so watch out.

JMO,

Rick

Last edited:

buddha162

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rick, keep on keeping on. Your superhuman ability to obfuscate and confound is spawning the most incredible thread on azb: half train wreck, half highly informative.

Cue nuts like me are grateful.

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
Rick, keep on keeping on. Your superhuman ability to obfuscate and confound is spawning the most incredible thread on azb: half train wreck, half highly informative.

Cue nuts like me are grateful.

Buddha,

When you are an objectivist like me, there is no need to obfuscate or confound when all you seek is a path to the truth in any matter or disapline.

Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth. ( Buddha )

Glad your are grateful as this side show develops.

When you can walk on the rice paper grasshopper and have not left a mark, then you shall have learned. LOL

JMO,

Rick

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Buddha,

When you are an objectivist like me, there is no need to obfuscate or confound when all you seek is a path to the truth in any matter or disapline.

Glad your are grateful as this side develops.

When you can walk on the rice paper grasshopper and have not left a mark, then you shall have learned. LOL

JMO,

Rick
You mean discipline. Objectivist is not a word, Rick. You meant objective person . Or open-minded person.
Being concrete and concise is a virtue. Even with simple words .

Happy Halloween . The kids have stopped knocking so I'm gonna make dust .

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
You mean discipline. Objectivist is not a word, Rick. You meant objective person . Or open-minded person.
Being concrete and concise is a virtue. Even with simple words .

Happy Halloween . The kids have stopped knocking so I'm gonna make dust .

Joey,

Objectivism is a philosophy Joe and the epistemology of The Objectivist's view was developed by the visionary Ayn Rand.

If you wish to understand her Vision read her book Atlas Shrugged which is a dramatization of Rand's unique vision of existence and man's highest potential.

The antithesis of her philosophy is collectivism which is the song or philosophy of Imannuel Kant. In a freakish way the opposing views of this thread mirrors the difference between the objectivist ( me ) vs. collectivism ( the mob mentality ) pretty interesting. LOL.

JMO,

Rick

Last edited:

buddha162

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Joey,

Objectivism is a philosophy Joe and the epistemology of The Objectivist's view was developed by the visionary Ayn Rand.

If you wish to understand her Vision read her book Atlas Shrugged which is a dramatization of Rand's unique vision of existence and man's highest potential.

The antithesis of her philosophy is collectivism which is the song or philosophy of Imannuel Kant. In a freakish way the opposing views of this thread mirrors the difference between the objectivist ( me ) vs. collectivism ( the mob mentality ) pretty interesting. LOL.

JMO,

Rick

Rick, let's not derail this amazing thread by going full retard.

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
Rick, let's not derail this amazing thread by going full retard.

Buddha,

I am surprised at you. One who calls him self Buddha as a screen name uses a word like retard in response to a reference concerning philosophy and humanity.

I guess I missed the point concerning your thoughts and feelings. Maybe your connection to the name Buddha has something to do with having a pot belly more than enlightenment of the mind.

The arguments that have been going on here, point and counterpoint have been more about philosophy than engineering, geometry and technology. And lets not forget politics as well as other thoughts that manifest in the minds of man.

My Buddha quote was tongue and cheek but it was also Germaine to attitude and how we as men process information in an arguemental discussion. It's really about respect and keeping an eye on on the ball concerning truths based on practical and observational experience not theoretical offerings that are biased using extreme manifestations of moot points. That is what obfuscation is all about.

Those attitudes when used reveal more about one's ability to process information as a given before trying to disprove an assertion in short order.

As an objectivist, I am immune to such prejudicial arguments.

How about you? Seeker of truth or Internet troll? Your a hard one to figure out because you have guarded your opinion with a bit of Legerdemain. Did I get that right?

If you do have a point of view why don't you just state it. If not eat you box of pop corn while I win this argument based on logic from non biased double blind observation.

There are some misspelled words posted here. Now it's time for idiots who want to find them to bring up them in their quest to paint me as a lesser intellect. LOL. Guess what?, to those who do that. I am now leaving "misspelt" words here so you can entertain yourself like kids with Where's Waldo books. I always consider the source!

Just my humble opinion,

Rick

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
Joey,

JMO,

Rick
My bad.
Kinda odd though that objectivism might make one less objective .
Indian Larry said it best, the more you know, the less really you know.
When you keep finding out new things, it will show you, you actually knew little .

The day you stopped learning is the day you stop growing.

To summarize your method. THE ONLY advantage it has ( to you ) is you can power tap and leave jaw marks on the oversize dowel that will disappear after a few turnings. THAT's IT ?
You solved the marring problems by tapping early. Instead of finding ways of tapping or live threading without marring the wood ????
You have a metal lathe with dual chucks. There is no good reason why the wood would get marred when you tap or live thread at final size .

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
My bad.
Kinda odd though that objectivism might make one less objective .
Indian Larry said it best, the more you know, the less really you know.
When you keep finding out new things, it will show you, you actually knew little .

The day you stopped learning is the day you stop growing.

To summarize your method. THE ONLY advantage it has ( to you ) is you can power tap and leave jaw marks on the oversize dowel that will disappear after a few turnings. THAT's IT ?
You solved the marring problems by tapping early. Instead of finding ways of tapping or live threading without marring the wood ????
You have a metal lathe with dual chucks. There is no good reason why the wood would get marred when you tap or live thread at final size .

Well said Joey,

I know you live thread and it is not a problem for you to hold the piece to do that.

I don't do this method just so I can power thread using a tap although it is nice not to worry about spinning inside a collet. I use this method because when I get to final taper the shafts alignment to the thread center is perfect and the precision face I put on the cue at .910 never is faced again. Those who think my faces are off and thread centerline is not parallel to the centerline and taper have a lot more to learn in their quest. JMO.

When the wet sanding and buffing is complete I take out the pin device then hand adjust the stepped minor to torque fit to the butt on each shaft then roll the cue on the table and the rail. It works every time without pre rolling at some earlier time and the shaft never saw the lathe chuck again after tapering to final on the saw machine.

This was how I was trained to make shafts but have refined the system over ten years. I have done it the other way and still do it on cue repair shaft projects. I like my way better for repeatability. I am sure you do things a certain way that Kerry taught you that you do because of your comfort level and experience even though there are other ways to do it.

We are all creatures of habit.

Rick

Last edited:

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Maybe my calcs are wrong, but it seems that a shaft or handle that has a warp of 0.5mm a error between centres of 1mm is actually only .05mm error on the end of a 38mm pin. It would take aprox .001 inches or .025mm face cut to correct for that error. It would also be an angle error on the end face of .077 deg. A 0.5mm warp is very measurable but would not make the cue shaft or cue handle unplayable.
It does not take much force to push around a pin .03 to .05mm on a handle.
It seems to me people are over thinking things. If the shaft or handle is going to move 0.5mm or more, there is something wrong with the processes in making it or the materials being used somewhere anyway.
That is just my take. For me, I prefer to do pin and joint work as the last operations.

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
Maybe my calcs are wrong, but it seems that a shaft or handle that has a warp of 0.5mm a error between centres of 1mm is actually only .05mm error on the end of a 38mm pin. It would take aprox .001 inches or .025mm face cut to correct for that error. It would also be an angle error on the end face of .077 deg. A 0.5mm warp is very measurable but would not make the cue shaft or cue handle unplayable.
It does not take much force to push around a pin .03 to .05mm on a handle.
It seems to me people are over thinking things. If the shaft or handle is going to move 0.5mm or more, there is something wrong with the processes in making it or the materials being used somewhere anyway.
That is just my take. For me, I prefer to do pin and joint work as the last operations.

Thanks for your input Neil!

Now to those who have attacked my position concerning the concentric device and method, I have figured out how to download videos since last week and have posted 3 for your examination if you wish to view.

Again I know there is a huge amount of talent here and I know when someone gets results they desire they are usually done. So I don't take stuff like, "he doesn't get it" and "fundamental machining practices" comments personally or to heart. Life is too short for that,

Lets face it, there are reasons that many of us participate in these forum discussions. One of mine is to share and gain information with my fellow cue makers. Peer Check and Review. Sometimes we all say things to show off our stuff as promotion of same also.

This shaft procedure and concentric device was a little of both of those things for me. Also, I am not saying that I make the best shafts in the world but I will contend that they would be very hard to beat by anyone!

So to all who thinks the pin threads are not parallel to my taper contour and my face angle moves, please watch the these videos showing the metal to metal 60 degree center seated in the dead center and the trueness of the shaft while cutting and after at higher RPMs.

Thanks for looking and I still love all you guys as experienced and informed peers. Maybe a little stubborn at times but I am stubborn at times also. It is all good.

I hope all of you guys stop by my shop when you are in my neck of the woods. I would love to visit and share cue making stuff anytime.

Respectfully,

Rick

To watch the videos just clic on the pic. It may not work on all cell phone i guess??

All of my shafts faces dial in like this after the final cut had been tapered. I never check them like this because they always roll correctly when joined, on the rail and flat on the table. So this face check is not something that I have to do. It is strictly for demonstrating on video here.

Here is a 30" shaft on the final taper pass for a 12.75 mm super pro taper. As i said running on the metal to metal 60 degree seated ramp faces creates a taper contour that is concentric to the female threads and perpendicular to the flat face. Every time. It is like boring in reverse.

Here is a typical shaft running between centers on my wood lathe, no wobbles.

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
Rick, that does not show when you faced it or when you made the threads .
To win your argument, you will need to face at .910", get it authenticated and then we'll wait for years to see if that face is dead 90° of the shaft's center .
That hole can also be off, and after a few turnings, that hole would become the center of the shaft . Even if it wasn't concentric or straight .

And EVEN if all that is right, it DOES NOT show one iota of advantage over facing and threading the shafts on final sizes . NONE.
It's not any straighter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQISERb2SQI
That is straight as humanly possible and DZ faced and threaded that shaft on final size.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Holly batman!

How did a thread about ill fitting joint protectors turn into this! Yikes.

Btw thanks Royce for that post a few pages back about how you leave the last few inches of the cue cylindrical instead of tapered so you can use that as a holding surface during joint installation. I'm going to remember that if the day comes I ever make a cue:)

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
Rick, that does not show when you faced it or when you made the threads .
To win your argument, you will need to face at .910", get it authenticated and then we'll wait for years to see if that face is dead 90° of the shaft's center .
That hole can also be off, and after a few turnings, that hole would become the center of the shaft . Even if it wasn't concentric or straight .

And EVEN if all that is right, it DOES NOT show one iota of advantage over facing and threading the shafts on final sizes . NONE.
It's not any straighter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQISERb2SQI
That is straight as humanly possible and DZ faced and threaded that shaft on final size.

Joey,

You have lost sight of the forest for the trees!

Ray Schuler tapered turned all his shafts on the aluminum pilot barrel between centers on a cnc lathe. Same deal!

I worked on 100s of his shafts and you know, I never saw any of his shafts with a taper roll either.:nono::wink2:

JMO,

Rick

Last edited: