Joss- 1968-1979- Post your Pictures Please!!!

Hubbahubby123

I paid $170.00 for the cue with two shafts with ivory ferrules. Back then, unless you wanted something really unusual, Danny had three levels of cues that he offered. Level one had a plain forearm, two shafts ivory ferrules for $150.00, then one like mine with four points, four veneers, two shafts ivory ferrules for $170.00 and then level three which was level two only with some additional inlays in the butt sleeve for $220.00.
I also bought a Fellini case for $50.00 when I picked up the cue. Danny was selling black ones and brown ones and I chose a brown one. Mine is still in excllent condition by the way.
You see, back then, these things were not bought wih collecting in mind. They were tools that we used to play pool with. There was no hype associated with any of this stuff then. If there was, don't you think I would have taken the bus a little farther up the road to Gus Szamboti's shop and gotten one of his cues? They were just like mine, cost about $30.00 or $40.00 more but were not considered any better. JOSS cues back then that were being made by Danny Janes and Tim Scurggs were considered to be some of the best cues you could get and a lot of the top players of that era were using them. So, I followed along...who'd a thunk it?

Hubbahubby123

I bought my first cue from Dan personally and ran a few racks on the table in foyer of his shop while he adjusted the shaft size. I would go in to have a new tip and shaft refinish just to play on that table! I now have 5 Joss in my collection and literally cherish each one…R.I.P. Dan!

Hubbahubby123

Sadly, if this great thread teaches us nothing else, it shows not to use photobucket, or some other third party picture. There are a few great pictures here, but the photobucket pictures are either blurred or missing. It's sad, as there were some very nice older Joss cues posted over the years.

Take the picture, download it to the computer, size it correctly, and upload it here. Otherwise, it'll be blocked or blurry sooner or later.

All the best,
WW
I actually own this cue but every time I try to load it says the file is too big

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
I actually own this cue but every time I try to load it says the file is too big
Best to go into whatever your computer's picture manager is, and shrink the file until it fits. It takes some figuring out, but as long as the file is small enough, it will fit.

Another hint. Go into the picture itself in your computer. Click copy. Then come back into the thread here, and click paste. Very often, the picture will show up, but I recommend resizing the picture as well.

All the best,
WW

Cheesmond

First post on the forum and excited to share my new JOSS!

Sweet 4 color veneer of purple - orange - teal - thick orange...maybe that makes it a 5 veneer. Either way it's a great looking cue.
Balance and hit are great! Not to sure on the year but the logo is pretty neat, so I'd guess early 70's.

Really enjoying her so far and think she's a keeper!!

(Thanks to Bill at Cornerstone for a smooth transaction)

IMG_0585.jpg
IMG_0591.jpg
IMG_0588.jpg
IMG_0584.jpg
paint 1.jpg
IMG_0587.jpg

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Sweet 4 color veneer of purple - orange - teal - thick orange...maybe that makes it a 5 veneer. Either way it's a great looking cue.
Balance and hit are great! Not to sure on the year but the logo is pretty neat, so I'd guess early 70's.

View attachment 712324View attachment 712325View attachment 712326View attachment 712327View attachment 712328View attachment 712329
Nice pickup.
Thanks for post.
Old Joss usually strong player!

Cheesmond

Beautiful cue!
Thank you! I really enjoy the simple butt inlay design and veneer color combo. Tempted to have (at least) the butt refinished by Proficient at some point. That wont happen for a while though, I've been playing daily since she arrived and have no plans to put her down :)

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member

View attachment 712324View attachment 712325View attachment 712326View attachment 712327View attachment 712328View attachment 712329
Sweet. Old school Joss. I've got a couple early ones too. Takes me back.

All the best,
WW

Hubbahubby123

Thank you! I really enjoy the simple butt inlay design and veneer color combo. Tempted to have (at least) the butt refinished by Proficient at some point. That wont happen for a while though, I've been playing daily since she arrived and have no plans to put her down :)
Proficient does a great job. I have had them do two of my cues, but they did not press the new irish linen.

JSS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cue on the left is 57" and 58" on the right. Both cues are Birdseye maple merry widows with cortland wrap. Bought the Cue on the right new in 1979. Dan could not tell me anything about the cue on the left.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230829_131615_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20230829_131615_Photos.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 70
  • Screenshot_20230829_131541_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20230829_131541_Photos.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 67

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Cue on the left is 57" and 58" on the right. Both cues are Birdseye maple merry widows with cortland wrap. Bought the Cue on the right new in 1979. Dan could not tell me anything about the cue on the left.

Mid 70s build

JSS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, the ring work looks Stroud like to me and the block letters are smaller too. It's just odd that Dan couldn't tell me anything about it with the same pics.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Mid 70s build
Although you could be right, I would say the cue on the left is earlier than mid 70s. By mid 70s, they had gone to that familiar dashes with veneers, rather than just maple block dashes.

I would say the cue on the right is part of their Diamond Series, early 80s, given that mid dash pattern.

All the best,
WW

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Although you could be right, I would say the cue on the left is earlier than mid 70s. By mid 70s, they had gone to that familiar dashes with veneers, rather than just maple block dashes.

I would say the cue on the right is part of their Diamond Series, early 80s, given that mid dash pattern.

All the best,
WW
I meant the cue in the left, it is a post-Stroud but not a Scruggs build

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
I meant the cue in the left, it is a post-Stroud but not a Scruggs build
I would agree with that, but not a Scruggs build is earlier than mid 70s. Scruggs was there in 1975, maybe earlier. I would put the left cue in at least very early 70s, not mid 70s. I was there in 1975, talking to Tim about a cue.

All the best,
WW

Cheesmond

Sweet. Old school Joss. I've got a couple early ones too. Takes me back.

All the best,
WW
Following your comments below, helping a fella date his cues. What does your eye tell you about mine? Who would you think is the maker or perhaps it was often a group effort? Thank you in advance for any help.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
I would agree with that, but not a Scruggs build is earlier than mid 70s. Scruggs was there in 1975, maybe earlier. I would put the left cue in at least very early 70s, not mid 70s. I was there in 1975, talking to Tim about a cue.

All the best,
WW
Then 73-74, because this is not Stroud's logo engraving