Joss or Schon

mckn13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Other than inlays and such is there really that much difference in these two cues. Joss is much cheaper and the hit is about the same, right. Im gonna get one or the other so your input is appreciated.
Thanks

Llama

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have owned two Schons, and I really liked both of them. One was an old R-1, and the other was an STL-1... I like plain cues :) I would say that I liked the R-1 better... but that is totally subjective.

I have not owned a Joss, so I can't make a fair comparison of the two brands.

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Other than inlays and such is there really that much difference in these two cues. Joss is much cheaper and the hit is about the same, right. Im gonna get one or the other so your input is appreciated.
Thanks

joss cues seem to hit better imo but they're too thick in the handle area for me

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
I would go with the Schon but that is just my opinion. Your best bet is to hit with both and see which you like better. Good luck.

chuckpilegis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
my3schons002.jpg

bb3dee8b.jpg

I have 3 Schons and a Joss
I like the thinner handle in the Schons

joe76195

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have owned many Joss cues over the last 15 years and I still like them. But I finally spent the cash for a new Schon last year. The Schon has better fit, finish, balance, and a much better shaft. Don't buy one that is too light because the aluminum bolt is tough to get out. Hope this helps

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Schons always seem to be of better quality to me. They hit stiffer then a joss I believe also. If you can find an older joss I think you would be better off.

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Joss = great playing cue with a chunky butt.
Schon = great playing cue with a petite butt.

Koop - likes a petite butt

MN Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have both a Schon and a Joss. I prefer the Schon for 8-Ball and the Joss for straight pool and one pocket. The Schon's balance favors the butt ever so slightly and the Joss more evenly balanced. They are both nice cues but I think the Schon shafts are superior. Both of mine are late 80's / early 90's.

RG

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Played with a few of both, own a 15 yr old Joss. Like the hit of the Schon better. They are close in hit but Schon is more solid feeling, Joss is more "tingy" I guess is a way to describe it. As to the finish, my Joss has been in the trunk for weeks at a time, in and out in New England weather, after over 15 years of this, it has a few tiny cracks in the finish, nothing else. Cue and orignal shaft are as straight as they were when new.

poolcuemaster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Schon all the way here and they hold there value better than any production cue, and I don't consider them to be a production cue. The last word I had Schon only has 3 or 4 guys total building cues so that compares with Ginacue as far as workers and I have to add a plug here, I have a great STL 8 with leather wrap for sale. Let me know if you want to see pictures.--Leonard

Druid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not really a fan of Joss or Schon. With Joss, note the difference between a "Joss" a "Joss East" and a "Joss West".

woodyosborne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i like 'em both.

for myself i'd flip a coin. i'd shoot with any i could and see what get's you going. seems some people have the perception schon's make a "ping" noise. both hit very hard in MY opinion. my schon has cost me approximately $0.06 per day in the 19 years i've had it. i could sell it to a standing offer anytime i will, but i think i'll just keep it. tried and true. it is one cue that doesn't hold my game back. all my pool problems are me, not my cues(except for the MALI cue that would not draw the ball- bad, loose ferrule fit). i like schon cues and i think joss cues are fine cues as well. i have both and nothing but high regard for both.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At the risk of upsetting the Joss fans I have to chime in on this. Now I'm only talking about new currant Joss cues. I have seen a handful at my local billiards store and the fit and finish of the ones I have seen are not as good as my Lucasi and not even close to my Pechauer.They do hit and feel very good but they are lacking in attention to detail. One brand new one had a shaft that was out of round,slightly oval. I also have seen and played with several Schons and as far as fit and finish they are better then the Joss cues.
Hit,balance and playability are very subjective.

The Schwartz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I LOVE my Schon ST-1. Hit with a few newer Joss cues and they do hit similar, but I think the others are right that the Joss has a thicker butt. I prefer Schon.

Last edited:

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
Agree with everyone so far...I've played with both for 20 years. My main player has been my Schon SL 17. I went from a Joss J15 (stolen) to a custom Gary Medlin (several years) to a Joss N11, then to the Schon (16 years and counting).

Joss J15 (circa 1989): Solid cue, ivory ferrels gave it a softer touch...only had it for 2 months.

Joss N11: Solid hit, a little stiffer/harder than the J15 due to micarta ferrels and the straight grain forearm. It was my break cue for 15 years once I got my Schon, and a real monster. Now it's my son's player.

GEM (Gary Medlin) custom: Szamboti tribute, 59 1/2 inches with 12.5 mm ferrels. Whippy, took getting used to...but then I loved it. Seemed to almost play by itself, just putting the right English on the cue ball without any thought from me.

Schon SL 17 (now STL 17): Fell in love with it the first stroke I took. Stiff hit, but the feedback and feel of it was very nice. Comletely subjective, but the cue just felt more "substantial" and solid than any of the others. The Schon shafts are just slightly better than Joss...tighter pores, nicer grains, I think they're probably better aged or higher grade maple. I still use Joss shafts on my Schon occassionally as back ups with no problem--they're fine, just not quite as nice.

You can't go wrong with any Joss or Schon...it comes down to price and appearance preferences, really. But having had both for a long time, I prefer Schon.

Georgia Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Both great cues, I have just had Joss make me a 60" to my specs and I could not be happier with it. The fit and finish are out of this world and it plays really solidly, I couldn't be happier. Unless something changes drastically I inted to play with them from now on.

All these questions about what's better, this cue or that cue are pretty pointless. If it's for playing, the best cue, no matter who it's made by, how much it costs, how good it looks, is the one that feels right to you!

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
I would get what is comfortable for you, find people in your room as they are both common cues and give them a try. I personally have really liked Joss cues but would probably take a McDermott over both Schon and Joss because I like the 3/8-10 pin hit as opposed to the stainless but that is just preference.

SK Custom Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks

No, that is not right. The quality of a Schon cue is higher and the hit is better. They actually both produce somewhat of a generic hit, but a Joss is going to be more dead. Find one you like in terms of look, and go for it. If I was going to get a Joss, I would get one of those older sneakies with the floating points. I bet someone on here has one. I have a Schon STL-7 and I think it is a well made cue, but it is not lively.

Both Joss and Schon are good choices and either way, you really can't go wrong. They are both made here in the USA, so buy away!

The older Runde Schons' and of course the Stroud era Joss' were much more desirable and define true playability as opposed to what you have today.

It takes years of experience to develop enough sensitivity to determine the difference in the hit from one cue to the next.