just what exactly is a bar banger?

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No mystery why 8-ball became the barbox game. Simplicity (no math/sobriety needed), and most every other game requires a ball be spotted occasionally, which can’t happen on a coin table.
P.S.
Gambling with drunks can be very risky. I never had anyone try to welch on a pool game until I started playing in bars.

paaca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool wasn't the first thing that came to mind when I saw the term bar bangers, which I'd never heard before. Hehehe.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
A lot of bars around here I used to play in were kind of like this:

You should attempt to make a shot, every shot.
If you played any kind of obvious safety without trying to pocket a ball, you might end up with broken knee caps or worse.
There is no ball in hand since safety play will get you hurt bad.
If you made a stripe, you are stripes, no if ands or buts. If you "make one of each" you have a choice with to shoot, solids or stripes.
If you scratch, or the ball fllies off the table, it's has to be shot from inside the kitchen. No ball in hand anywhere you like, unless you don't like your teeth.
If you don't have a good shot hit it warp speed, as slop shotsl count, and maybe it will find a home in some pocket. Note,if you do make one like this, expect a lot of cursing and lip from the guy you are playing. Worst case, you fight it out.
If you are playing for anything, don't try to quit while ahead unless you are good with your fists, or the end of a heavy pool cue.
At any moment, for any reason, you could end up in a fight if you are winning too many games as by now almost all the players are drunk.

Now it's been probably 25 years since I shot pool in a bar, and not in a pool hall, but that is pretty much the way it was here in south Texas. Texans have the right to carry now days, so I sure as hell stay out of bars now days.:smile:

As to the question, it's someone that plays seldom, can't play very well, and usually hits the balls way too hard. Their priority is NOT to get better at pool, but they still like playing every now and then, usually while getting drunk.

Lol. Perfect!
Jason

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is it a person who plays strictly in bars ? No,

Is it a person who plays by bar rules.? Likely

Is it a person who plays on just 7'ers....more commonly refered to bar tables ? There are 6.5 and 6.0 footers, too. A more amusing term is "pay machine" and "pay machine rules".

If you are referring to guys who just play in bars who are you comparing them to ?

Compared to guys who spend half their lives in pool halls ? You would be right.

Compared to guys who take lessons ? You are right again.

Compared to guys who scour you tube for drills to practice ? Right again.

Compared to the average league player ? I think this one is debatable. I dont go to bars anymore. Practically lived in them in my early years and encountered quite a few that could play decent but the majority were not as good as I was and I was never that great but I played good enough to be called a hustler several times and kicked out if a few places.

Average league player may not be all that good (SL4-ish).

I call players in barrs who have little clue as to how to stroke a ball and little incentive to learn "bar bangers" and I let them have their fun.

When I see a guy who has a <remote> chance of running the table, is when I get in the game. Finally, "A person worth beating".

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No mystery why 8-ball became the barbox game. Simplicity (no math/sobriety needed), and most every other game requires a ball be spotted occasionally, which can’t happen on a coin table.
P.S.
Gambling with drunks can be very risky. I never had anyone try to welch on a pool game until I started playing in bars.

Bar table 8-ball is a simple game for drunks. Got it.

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
My association ith the term 'bar banger' would be, the type of player that seems to have a need to shoot each and every ball at max speed (which gives a nice bang from the back of the pocket) with no concern where the CB will end up.

He then often looks around to see if people saw how hard he shot that ball, because ego is a factor with these types.

I'm convinced the Bar Banger will actually think he is a good player because he shoots them in that hard. I'm also convinced that no-one with a little bit of pool knowledge will think that too.
Yes.^^^^^
A true "Bar Banger" also can't name a single current Pro on a bet.
And doesn't care. Ha
To the OP: Many "League Players" are Bar Bangers too.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it’s more lack of knowledge. It’s guys who think because they can make a few balls in a row they are good. Then they play players who when they make a mistake they get run out on and they realize they aren’t as good as they think . Then the excuse come flying.

skipbales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have read the term on here quite a few times. The thread about bar bangers and Fargo rate piqued my curiosity .

Is it a person who plays strictly in bars ?

Is it a person who plays by bar rules.?

Is it a person who plays on just 7'ers....more commonly refered to bar tables ?

The reason I am asking is because I have read on here quite a few times where people expressed the opinion that people who play in bars are not very good pool players.

If you are referring to guys who just play in bars who are you comparing them to ?

Compared to guys who spend half their lives in pool halls ? You would be right.

Compared to guys who take lessons ? You are right again.

Compared to guys who scour you tube for drills to practice ? Right again.

Compared to the average league player ? I think this one is debatable. I dont go to bars anymore. Practically lived in them in my early years and encountered quite a few that could play decent but the majority were not as good as I was and I was never that great but I played good enough to be called a hustler several times and kicked out if a few places.

Even after being called a hustler quote a few times I basically had the same opinion most on here do about bar players. I play in bars....no way am I as good as fellas that play in pool halls or leagues. That was until I joined bcapl when I was around 50 and soon realized I was better than most of the league players....once I grew to accept safety play as part of the game. Within 6 months I was raised to a 7 ....our handicap system went from 1-10 . Did not have any 1's that I recall but a few girls were 2's. I have read on here plenty of times how bcapl is chock full of high level players. Guess our area was an anomaly. half a dozen 10's .. Half a dozen 9's . A few 8's . A few 7's like me. A few 6's. a bunch of 5's and the rest 3's and 4's with a few 2's .

The average bar player is not devoted to pool. Not even as devoted as the average league player. Therefore it stands to reason that they would not be very proficient at the game.

Bar of course refers to the location and typically table size from 6-7'

Bangar can mean a lot of things but normally implies a careless style of play and hitting too hard. Hit and hope. But is also used in jest as "a friend of mine and I went out and banged the balls around last night". I have heard that type of statement from some very high level players but is is meant tongue in cheek.

skipbales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
3. I was the opposite . I never thought I was as good as people / opponents said I was when given compliments my first venture into leagues was due to a guy who invited me on his team after beating him 3-4 times playing in a bar. He aaked what league i played in and I told him I had never played in a league. He asked why . I told him I never thought I was good enough. He replied I was better than any one on his team so I figured ...why not join ? Turns out his captain did not want me when he found out I was a " bar banger " who had never played leagues. I joined another team and that captain found out I was better than any one on his team when we played them. Btw. I have met many players...especially league players....who were not as good as they thought they were.

4. I was always interested in learning. That first league I mentioned above was bcapl....no one was ever interested is teaching lower levels. I have seen more teaching going on in apa....regardless of the misconception people have that apa players do not want to improve.

No term should be used as a means to put another player down. I don't think the term Bar Banger or any other should be used in that manner. I play in a bar league which plays on 9' tables for state finals. I would say we are all bar bangers, in that we play in bars, until season end. I would also say some play pretty darn good. The term is what you make of it. I never heard the term used at all in an actual situation. I understand what it means but don't think there is some legal definition which then means you are sub human.

Like anything else, there is always someone who looks down on everyone else. I would prefer to be know as a Bar Banger than an a hole. Mostly I think of the Bar Banger concept as someone who hits too hard. Hence the Bang.

Our league is know as a "fun loving beer drinking" league. That is true even though a lot of us don't even drink. The point of the league is to have fun and compete. It is handicapped so even very new beginners are welcome.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Some days, I enjoy being a bar banger.

Freddie <~~~ if you can’t hit ‘em in, then $hit ‘em in