Kamui tip

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can find Kamui's own description on their website. How that comports with reality seems to be a bit of a debate. Marketing is powerfull stuff and it often ends up being a self-fulfilling prophecy as people look for whatever atributes the producer claims.
In my experience, having worked with Kamui tips for 13 years now, the differences arent very big. Kamui claims the black tips hold their shape a bit better, I can't really see a difference. The one difference I can see is that black dyed leather seems to have a tendecy to glaze over more often.
Cue ball grip is the same and they last about the same amount of time. Black Kamui is slightly more popular than the original ones in my shop, but I suspect that mostly a cosmetical thing. Black tips look "cooler" especially now in the days of carbon fibre shafts.

Zerksies

I have no clue what people mean by glazing with the black tips? I've been using these tips for over a year. I maintian my tip daily and i don't run into these issues.

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can find Kamui's own description on their website. How that comports with reality seems to be a bit of a debate. Marketing is powerfull stuff and it often ends up being a self-fulfilling prophecy as people look for whatever atributes the producer claims.
In my experience, having worked with Kamui tips for 13 years now, the differences arent very big. Kamui claims the black tips hold their shape a bit better, I can't really see a difference. The one difference I can see is that black dyed leather seems to have a tendecy to glaze over more often.
Cue ball grip is the same and they last about the same amount of time. Black Kamui is slightly more popular than the original ones in my shop, but I suspect that mostly a cosmetical thing. Black tips look "cooler" especially now in the days of carbon fibre shafts.
Lol

Zerksies

If you have to maintain your tip daily it sounds as if it is glazing over. I like Kamui tips but I too find they glaze over too quickly.
The tip is flattening out. I'm using a super soft tip and i like my tip a perfect Nickel radius so i scuff it back to perfect shape. I could give a crap less what the tip is costing me. If i like the feel of the hit i will pay the $25 every 2-3 months

tg_vegas

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I install a lot of Kamui tips and have literally zero complaints about this. On the SS tips, once played for a while, they do seem to need a one-time cleanup on the sides. The new SAI tips and the Athelete tips I've installed are getting great feedback. I have Kamui tips on all of my cues and none of them have ever needed much maintenance. I play 20-30 hours per week.

Just a thought, I always install to a dime (only on players, not breakers). If the tip flattens, you might get to a nickel, which would for most folks still be fine. If you start with a nickel, ... hmm..

For breakers, I now install the SAI tip in nickel and so far, they have been VERY well received.

I have about two dozen break tips from numerous other brands that I will likely just sell.

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This link explains it the best, https://www.kamuibrand.com/en/focus#OorB
I tell people if you use more follow and middle ball the brown is the one, if you like to use a lot of english, especially draw...the black one, it has more elasticity.. The clear pad is just for install, (and a gimmick, IMO)
Dave
How does elasticity produce more spin /english and draw?
or asked another way
why would a tip,with more elasticity be beneficial for a player that likes to use alot of English/or. Draw?

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
If you click on the link, Kamui explains it The best. I don't necessary agree fully with it, but it's their product.....

billsey

Registered
The theory is that an elastic tip will have a longer contact time during the stroke, allowing more spin to be transferred to the ball. In practice there isn't much difference other than to the feel and sound of the hit. Dr. Bob has a couple of good videos showing actual use just under and over the miscue point.