Kansas City Pool Scene???

Adam Brown

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am planning a trip to Kansas City in July. I will be there Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. A small tournament would be nice to help pass the time or a good Diamond will do. I was wondering if anyone had some helpful info on the area.

Thanks, Adam

guitars34

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kansas City has a huge metro area. Where will you be? I could tell you Shooter's in Olathe, KS is good, Side Pockets in Lee's Summit has a tight Daimond and a tight GC4 the Brass Rail in North Kansas City is a big room that usually has some bar table tournaments. But those places are all about 45-60 min from each other and all part of the Greater Kansas City area.

guitars34

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you want to see an old classic poolhall then Raytown Rec in Raytown is the place to go. It has been open since the 50's but the owner, Doug Brink hasn't had the best of health the last few years and the room is getting run down. But still they have a 10' Brunswick table called Big Bertha that is over 100 years old and a great 3 cushion table.

Adam Brown

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really don't know exactly where I'll be staying yet other that the downtown area. I'll just need something to do while my wife is working. We had an old pool hall around here with 2 snooker tables and 6 drop pockets. There is nothing better than that old pool hall smell, it just sets the mood.

guitars34

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well if you are going to be downtown then The Brass Rail, Side Pockets/North Kansas City are probably going to be your best bets. They are only about a 15 min drive from downtown KC. There aren't any rooms downtown yet but since the city has been rebuilding the downtown area for the last 10 years hopefully someone opens one.

Adam Brown

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Guitars I sure do appreciate your time and great suggestions. I'm going to look into hotels more then I should have a better idea as to a good place to play.

pletho

NON "ACTION KNOCKER"
Silver Member
Side Pockets on Englewood North of Kansas City
Monday - Nineball Tourney starts at 7:30

Brassrail North of Kansas City
Tuesday - Brassrail 8 Ball Tourney starts at 7:30
Thursday - Brassrail Nineball Tourney starts at 7:30

Shooters Olathe, Kansas 35 minutes south of Downtown KC
Friday Shooters Olathe, Ks, Open Nineball Tourney starts at 8:30 (been dead lately, hit and miss on this one)
Saturday Shooters Olathe, Ks B rated Nineball Tourney starts at 7:30 (usually pretty good tourney)

There is a Blue Springs Side Pockets and Lees Summit also, not sure of tourneys there..... and there are numerous other bars etc.. with tourneys throughout the metro... you can check them out here http://www.pool4u.com/

BigDeal52

Don Pearce
Silver Member
I go to Side Pockets in Lenexa whenever I am in town. My favorite place. Nice folks, decent 9 foot tables (only 3 9-footers) and great food.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BigDeal52...Do they still play that Texas Rack game, with 45 balls, and the huge rack, on the 9' tables? There used to be a pot to whoever could runout, or at least make the most balls without missing. I ran the 45 on my 3rd try (years ago), and won a couple hundred bucks. Tough game! :eek: :thumbup:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

I go to Side Pockets in Lenexa whenever I am in town. My favorite place. Nice folks, decent 9 foot tables (only 3 9-footers) and great food.

klockdoc

ughhhhhhhhhh
Silver Member
I think Shooters is membership only unless under special circumstances. (Ie; like Midwest Tournaments.

You can't just walk in and play pool. Least that's how I understand it.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
yep...

I think Shooters is membership only unless under special circumstances. (Ie; like Midwest Tournaments.

I've been turned away once after the 45 minute drive from the airport, and told on the phone not to bother coming down another time.

Only time I was allowed to play was during a midwest tour event.

Jaden

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member

This is exactly right. It is members only, and unless there is a big event going on that is open to the public, you can't play here unless you are a member. I was there a few months ago and was not allowed in. I don't know why people on here are always mentioning that people should check out Shooter's when there is no point in bothering as you can't get in. Stop sending people to Shooter's!

It is a beautiful room though and looked like a very cool place. I asked the door/counter guy a bit about the membership requirement, why it was required and how to get one, and he wasn't very knowledgeable at all and his answers were subsequently vague. The little I could gather from him is that the membership costs $10/year, and takes about 10 days to receive. You apply for your membership through some local government like the city or county, not through the pool hall. The annual membership allows you to go into any similar members only club, not just Shooter's.

It seems like it may have something to do with certain places that allow smoking and therefore have to be "members only". By having an annual member card, you are essentially just providing your official acknowledgment, both to the local government, and to any "members only" establishment that you go to, that you are aware that smoking takes place on the premises, are aware of the risks, and still want to go there. I could be wrong about all this as again, the guy wasn't too knowledgeable at all, but this is what I gathered from what he told me.

Your alternatives, if you have the time in advance and really want to go here, is to do some research and find out what the requirements are to be a member and then apply for and receive your membership before you go. I have no idea if non-locals can get a membership or not. The other alternative is that you are allowed in as the guest of a member, so if you can find one to get you in as their guest then you are good.

The whole things seems pretty dumb. But please people, stop referring people to Shooter's (unless you also explain that you have to be a member or guest of a member), as all you are doing is wasting their time and money in getting there because they aren't going to be able to go in.

Last edited:

klockdoc

ughhhhhhhhhh
Silver Member
I've been turned away once after the 45 minute drive from the airport, and told on the phone not to bother coming down another time.

Only time I was allowed to play was during a midwest tour event.

Jaden

Didn't you post before in another thread that if you go inside with a member, that the member has to stay as long as you stay. If he (the member) leaves....you have to also leave?

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
no..

Didn't you post before in another thread that if you go inside with a member, that the member has to stay as long as you stay. If he (the member) leaves....you have to also leave?

I don't know if that's the case or not. I've never been allowed in as a guest of a member.

The only time I was able to successfully play there was when I went during a tournament, one of the "exception" periods, which they occasionally grant.

Jaden

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member

I can say with certainly that you can go in with a member as their guest, as I was told that by the door/counter man a few months back. He made it sound like you were only allowed in there while with the member though, so I am pretty certain that when they left you would have to leave as well. Which makes sense as this is the way it is handled pretty much anywhere else that allows their members to bring a guest. Standard guest policy, you can't just go sign your guest in and then split giving them free reign and use of the place. Never works like that.

dardusm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am planning a trip to Kansas City in July. I will be there Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. A small tournament would be nice to help pass the time or a good Diamond will do. I was wondering if anyone had some helpful info on the area.

Thanks, Adam

Side Pockets off Englewood Road (5 miles from downtown) has 2 9 foot diamond tables. Side Pockets in Lee's Summit (20 miles from downtown) has 1 9 foot diamond. Shooter's (20 miles from downtown) has 4 9 foot diamonds plus 3 7 foot diamonds.

There are tournaments every night of the week somewhere. The Brass Rail runs a race to 4 9-ball $10 entry on Thursday. The bar adds $5/player. Players pay the quarters .75/ valley bar tables.

Friday and Saturday nights a small bar Flamingo http://www.flamingorocks.com/ (10 miles from downtown) runs a no entry 8 ball tournament at 7:30pm. Players pay quarters $1.00/game. Pays top 3 spots. Usually, 100, 50, 25 if they have at least 22 players.

Shooters runs a Friday night open tournament and Saturday night B-rated tournament. I'll try to check with Dan to see about his guest policy for out of town players. I've heard a few people have had issues getting into Shooters and maybe there is something that can be done.

If you have the chance, drop by Raytown Rec (10 miles from downtown). Play a bit on Big Bertha or some billiards. It's like going back in time.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was always in understanding that Brunswick made the tables for Johnny Kling

Brunswick-Balke-Collender “Kling” (Circa 1916)

Considered by many to be the zenith of Brunswick’s production - because of its massive “Jumbo Frame” construction, decorative qualities and playing characteristics.

pletho

NON "ACTION KNOCKER"
Silver Member

yearly membership is 15 or 25 dollars canr remember...which worth it though....

Duane Hinton

Registered
yearly membership is 15 or 25 dollars canr remember...which worth it though....

Pletho,
You need to go re-up your membership so you can remember the correct fee. :)

Some incorrect info on this thread.

Just, finally purchased my first annual membership last Saturday. Been mooching off my son's membership, and never had a problem getting in to play a little. Cost is $10/year. The membership can be and is purchased at the front desk and is immediately effective.

Shooters went private some years back to circumvent the county no smoking ordinance. Wish I could go there and shoot in a smoke-free environment, but I suspect that Dan thought he would lose too much business, so he went this route. I've played a little pool in a lot of pool halls from Florida to Vancouver, BC and this is still one of my favorite places to play. You walk through the door and you know you're in a poolhall, not some sports bar with pool tables. Its clean, the tables, balls, equipment is well kept and the waitstaff are friendly and prompt. What more can you ask for.
Duane