Keith Would have Crushed Them

The Saw

Juicy Pop in 2016!
Silver Member
real bartram said:
why do you ask?

Because there are a few videos on the internet of Keith playing in 88 or so. If that is how Keith played in his prime Alex would stick him up playing on a 9 footer.......

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
The Saw said:
Check the facts on Google Groups archive search of RSB......

Quote INDYGIRL70: "- Keith and Lil John vs Chris Bartram 9 ball Keith/Lil John got the 8 ball
playing 10 ahead for 2 dimes and lost......Lil John wanted to play Chris after
this set and he wanted to put up his car but he didnt have the title with
him..... "

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.sport.billiard/browse_thread/thread/a987901627f2e98f?hl=en&q=chris+keith+group:rec.sport.billiard

Nice work - we have a new pool detective in the house.

The Saw

Juicy Pop in 2016!
Silver Member
JAM said:
Oh, he does. Keith can bark and drum up action any place he steps foot in. You, on the other hand, I would liken to a dingo.

Chris has a different approach than Keith but if you think Chris can't drum up action as good, or better, than anyone on the planet you are mistaken. He just doesn't beat his hands on his chest and bark at everyone he sees. In his younger days we would go to tournaments and he would ask every man, woman, and child to play. AND I can give you several $THOUSAND$ examples of how good he is at drumming up action! Outside of Cooney maybe, Chris is the best stone cold hustler/gambler the game has seen.... Bold statement, but it's fact!

The Saw

Juicy Pop in 2016!
Silver Member
watchez said:
Nice work - we have a new pool detective in the house.

LOL.... I have NSA type detctive skills on this pool thing!!! I prefer the oldschool detective work when we used to have a book full of phone numbers to get a line on things. This internet ruined that.....

Jack Flanagan

P. T. Barnum was right !
Silver Member
wow, 14 pages over a simple question!

someone gets her dander up over some perceived "slight" to her man....geez, in the old days before the internet, a good fight in the pool hall would have solved this dilemma.

she must be happy or either smart and sad.

JAM said:
...there's d--n sure more to life than pool

then why spend hours discussing this with people whom you can't convince and don't even rate high enough, for your discerning taste in men, to breathe the same air as your "man" ?

geez, bring on some more '50's cliche and tired rhetoric. or do something more productive like ________________ (<---fill in the blank)

J...wonders why this thread isn't deleted yet (but really knows the answer)

MBTaylor

Banned
It is all AL Gore's fault because he invented the internet!!!!!!!!!

Hang Al Gore for ruining pool.....lol

The Saw said:
LOL.... I have NSA type detctive skills on this pool thing!!! I prefer the oldschool detective work when we used to have a book full of phone numbers to get a line on things. This internet ruined that.....

MBTaylor

Banned
Keith may be great, but JayBaltimore can give Keith 7 racks in a race to 7 and still WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take that biatches.....lol

DrawtheRock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
real bartram said:
dennis hatch
rod morris
john archer
ralf so i wont try
duel
svb
alex
orcolo
waren kiamco
mika
neils
ron alcano
john sc
danny h
darren appleton

Chris,
I only did a short list and broke them out by Americans and Filipinos. I didnt list guys like Cole Dixon, Denny Searcy, Lassiter, or Strickland.
For the Americans you listed (which you say are better players than the older players). Rod Morris, SVB, and Johnny are very good..pretty much nine ball players...so would they be robbing Buddy Hall, Sigel, Strickland, or Cole? Which guys that you named would rob Ronnie Allen in one pocket? Which American guys would rob Buddy and Keith in bar pool? Do you think Schmidt or Harriman would rob Mizerak or Hopkins in straight pool?
On the Filipinos--Alex Orcollo, Warren, and Ron are also very good but would they be robbing bustamante, Parica, or Reyes? No Chance. Put Parica in against all the younger filipinos in his prime and have them play a 15 ahead set of 9ball for what ever you like. Have the younger filipinos play effren in his prime in rotation for whatever you like.

I think you are way off if you think that they would be robbing them.

satman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
May I answer that?

The Saw said:
Because there are a few videos on the internet of Keith playing in 88 or so. If that is how Keith played in his prime Alex would stick him up playing on a 9 footer.......

I've watched the video's on youtube, they ain't close. You also need to remember, those video's are not on Simonis, it's that slow ass cloth. But I think it was slower than some of the stuff on Bar tables. It's a shame there ain't some video's of Keith playing at his higher gears. But around 88, Keith was slowing down a considerable amount. Like they said, the partying {and Keith did a bit of it} and traveling takes it's toll on someone. Sorry, just my opinion. Jay would know a lot better than I, He saw Keith play a lot more than me.

I'm not saying Alex wouldn't have a chance, he's a monster. On any given day, he's liable to run over anyone now or past. But don't get a false impression from an old video.

macneilb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
satman said:
I've watched the video's on youtube, they ain't close. You also need to remember, those video's are not on Simonis, it's that slow ass cloth. But I think it was slower than some of the stuff on Bar tables. It's a shame there ain't some video's of Keith playing at his higher gears. But around 88, Keith was slowing down a considerable amount. Like they said, the partying {and Keith did a bit of it} and traveling takes it's toll on someone. Sorry, just my opinion. Jay would know a lot better than I, He saw Keith play a lot more than me.

I'm not saying Alex wouldn't have a chance, he's a monster. On any given day, he's liable to run over anyone now or past. But don't get a false impression from an old video.

couldnt have put it any better :wink:

The Saw

Juicy Pop in 2016!
Silver Member
satman said:
I've watched the video's on youtube, they ain't close. You also need to remember, those video's are not on Simonis, it's that slow ass cloth. But I think it was slower than some of the stuff on Bar tables.

Pretty much the same cloth they play on in the Phillipines BUT with much higher humidity.... Alex told me once that cloth doesn't matter to the Fillipinos because they play on the toughest conditions when they are home. Old cloth, new cloth, Keith could not get there playing Alex. Alex IMO is a much m ore rounded and complete player. He would kick and kick/safe Keith into a coma....

Keith McCready

Pro Player
The Saw said:
Pretty much the same cloth they play on in the Phillipines BUT with much higher humidity.... Alex told me once that cloth doesn't matter to the Fillipinos because they play on the toughest conditions when they are home. Old cloth, new cloth, Keith could not get there playing Alex. Alex IMO is a much m ore rounded and complete player. He would kick and kick/safe Keith into a coma....

He would kick-safe a lot of people, not just me. I have a lot of respect for Alex's game, but if you want to go back to primes, I would have never backed down from him, like a lot of other people would.

Second of all, I guess I'm in pretty good company, if you have to bring up Alex's name. What about all the others that I spotted when I was in my prime?

I played two-shot/roll-out when I was in my prime. None of this kick/safe bullshit. If you kick/safe, you had the option to roll out, which made it an entirely different game, and that's sort of where my game shined, but I'm not on this forum to try to wake you up or anybody else. I don't have to. I know what I did, and I know who I am.

You people like to keep trying to dig at me for what reason? I don't know. Maybe you got nothing better to do with your life. So get one.

Mr441

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How many people who've posted here actually saw Keith play at 23? Not many I suspect. I did see him play then and believe me Alex would not "walk over" him. I think it would be a good match but I'd have to put my money on the 23 year old Keith. I think his unflappability under pressure would unnerve Alex after awhile.

Another thing, why do so many people keep saying that the players are better today? What are they basing this on? There were so many monster players in the 70's and 80's. Jay Helfert listed them earlier and it's a very impressive list.

Keith McCready

Pro Player
real bartram said:
on a 9 ft alex would rob a 23 year old keith.
wow not even close.

Where were you, Chris, when I was giving Morro Paez the 7-ball, Kim Davenport the 7-ball, Ernesto Dominguez the 7-ball, all in 9-footers and broke every one of them numerous times? Goes to show you what your intelligence is. You were still swimming around in your mother's tummy when all that happened. So for you to say that I have no chance is a joke. You just didn't know how good I really was back then.

And remember, broke them numerous times. Not once, not twice. Numerous times, 10-ahead sets. That's all we played back then. Kim Davenport had to quit with the 7 and get the 6. He couldn't win with the 7. What do you got to say about all that, smart guy?

shinobi

kanadajindayo
Silver Member
Mr441 said:
How many people who've posted here actually saw Keith play at 23? Not many I suspect. I did see him play then and believe me Alex would not "walk over" him. I think it would be a good match but I'd have to put my money on the 23 year old Keith. I think his unflappability under pressure would unnerve Alex after awhile.

Another thing, why do so many people keep saying that the players are better today? What are they basing this on? There were so many monster players in the 70's and 80's. Jay Helfert listed them earlier and it's a very impressive list.

Agreed. While in many sports the level of competition has gone up due to improved mental and physical training, equipment, and new knowledge.... pool is not so strongly affected by these things.

macneilb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Saw said:

you forgot to quote the part where satman stated that by 88 keith was already slowing down a little...i think that's kinda of important. plus, how many champions has keith come up against, given weight to, and beat? sigel, buddy, johnny? was alex that far ahead of all of them in their primes? i know you have alot of respect for alex's game, i do too, but don't believe for a minute that he would bury keith in his heyday...keith once made a living off beating champions just like alex.

cuedoctor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Keith McCready said:
Where were you, Chris, when I was giving Morro Paez the 7-ball, Kim Davenport the 7-ball, Ernesto Dominguez the 7-ball, all in 9-footers and broke every one of them numerous times? Goes to show you what your intelligence is. You were still swimming around in your mother's tummy when all that happened. So for you to say that I have no chance is a joke. You just didn't know how good I really was back then.

And remember, broke them numerous times. Not once, not twice. Numerous times, 10-ahead sets. That's all we played back then. Kim Davenport had to quit with the 7 and get the 6. He couldn't win with the 7. What do you got to say about all that, smart guy?

Hey...you dont have nothing to prove:) When are you going to play again...the us open just aint the same with out you no matter how your playing. Valley Forge in the 10 ball? Hope your there:thumbup:

enzo

Banned
Mr441 said:

i dont understand this either, i think this is a very common misconception because of the fact that the average player may play better today, but the BEST players i bet have not gotten any better (or worse) .