Kielwood vs Carbon fiber

SKILLZELITE

Universality
Gold Member
Silver Member
Im looking for detailed opinions on kielwood vs carbon fiber shafts .

Outside of the normal carbon shafts dont warp & are ding/scratch resistant .

Im interested in hearing from those that have tried both.

-what are the benefits?

-why did you choose 1 over the other ?

-which has better feel/feedback ?

-which has lower deflection?

Thx in advance for your time and input.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

-what are the benefits?

Very little diff in how they play. Big difference in feel/sound. I'm sticking with my Mezz HybridPro(orig. version). Haven't tried anything i like better.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have played with the HSU kielwood shaft and several carbon fiber’s
The keilwood is a great shaft has good feel and energy transfer
I decided to stick with a Revo 11.8 because of its lower deflection.
But I have not sold the kielwood shafts
If you want more feel, you will learn and adjust to the extra deflection of kielwood
If you want, less worry of dings warping, etc. and lower deflection at least compared to revo
go with carbon fiber
Jmho
Pm me if you have questions

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

-what are the benefits?

So there are large variations between shafts of the same type. It's like asking what the difference between two door and four door cars, you can't lump in wood and CF shafts into two separate things because outside of the material there is a lot of overlap in hit feel and deflection. There are some CF shafts, say from J Flowers and Konlin that are not low deflection, and the low deflection ones vary as much as the LD wood shafts. Same thing for keilwood. On its own, keilwood is just a pretty wood color. The feedback and deflection come out from how the cue maker builds them.

I have both shaft types, and played with almost every brand, I use 3-4 shafts that I change around, so the custom keilwood shafts I have are pretty much the same to me as the Revo CF I have. I also use a Z3 shaft and an LD maple shaft that were also custom made that came with a cue I inherited from a friend.

Like every other thread involving tips, shafts, etc..., you won't find what you like till you try a lot of different ones yourself.

SKILLZELITE

Universality
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have the revo 12.4 and the 11.8, I favor the 11.8 , I think its due to playing with the Z2 for so many yrs.
Im eyeing the hsunami shaft but thats because of the ferrule-less aspect .
I already have a LD custom ferrule-less maple shaft, so my thoughts were limited adjustment.
Primarily Im after the shaft with the best feel , & lowest deflection .
I like the power of the revo but due to the lack of feel I find myself over-setting shots from time to time. When I use the Ld wood ferrule-less I rarely over-set but do under set here & again , if that makes sense.
So Im in search of a middle ground.

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have the revo 12.4 and the 11.8, I favor the 11.8 , I think it due to playing with the Z2 for so many yrs.
Im eyeing the hsunami shaft but thats due to the ferrule-less aspect , which I already have a LD custom maple of, so my thoughts were limited adjustment.
Primarily Im after the shaft with the best feel , & lowest deflection .
not sure you can have your cake and eat it too
my shaft is ferruless and i had hsu make it as narrow as possible
it measures at 12mm
but the revo 11.8 to me is lower in deflection
kielwood shaft.png

NevadaP

I have played with the HSU kielwood shaft and several carbon fiber’s
The keilwood is a great shaft has good feel and energy transfer
I decided to stick with a Revo 11.8 because of its lower deflection.
But I have not sold the kielwood shafts
If you want more feel, you will learn and adjust to the extra deflection of kielwood
If you want, less worry of dings warping, etc. and lower deflection at least compared to revo
go with carbon fiber
Jmho
Pm me if you have questions
I've tried and like both- bbb summed it up perfectly Exactly this---
go with carbon fiber

SFC9ball

JimBaker PBIA Instructor
Silver Member
I have played with both, the REVO 12.4 and 12.9 I like the 12.4 better
I have played with the Diviney Keilwood and the OB phoenix shaft 12.3 and the 11.8 and I can tell you that the deflection from my perspective is that the Phoenix and the Revo 12.4 are so close I can switch between them and not tell the difference. Me personally I like the Phoenix the best because of the feel.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've tried and like both- bbb summed it up perfectly Exactly this---
go with carbon fiber
I have played with both, the REVO 12.4 and 12.9 I like the 12.4 better
I have played with the Diviney Keilwood and the OB phoenix shaft 12.3 and the 11.8 and I can tell you that the deflection from my perspective is that the Phoenix and the Revo 12.4 are so close I can switch between them and not tell the difference. Me personally I like the Phoenix the best because of the feel.
this is why noone can tell you which girl in the line up to ask out for a date
you have to talk to all of them to know what they are like and which one is your best match
jmho

Zerksies

I've never played with a keilwood shaft just LD wood shafts.

Wood is wood and eventually will or could warp and it will has the potential to get a ding. I use to pull out dings on my wood shafts weekly.

I've been using carbon for about two months, It's probably never going to warp. I've hit my shaft a few times and i haven't had one ding. I don't use a glove and my hands are never dirty from the shaft. I don't ever hear that ping sound with my playing shaft, but i do use a very hard tip on my break shaft and get a ping sound.

WardS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've never played with a keilwood shaft just LD wood shafts.

Wood is wood and eventually will or could warp and it will has the potential to get a ding. I use to pull out dings on my wood shafts weekly.

I've been using carbon for about two months, It's probably never going to warp. I've hit my shaft a few times and i haven't had one ding. I don't use a glove and my hands are never dirty from the shaft. I don't ever hear that ping sound with my playing shaft, but i do use a very hard tip on my break shaft and get a ping sound.
I have 2 Tiger LD shafts for about 10 yrs, no dings or dents. I bought a CF few months back, it wobbles already. I bought it new from a authorized source. I contacted them but so far no response.

Joqpub4

AZB GOLD
Silver Member
So i have:
Carbon:
Cuetec Cynergy (when they first came out)
Tiger Fortis Pro
Bull Carbon

Keilwood:
Prather (one of Jeff's personal shooting shafts bought at SBE one year, when Keilwood first came out)
Bob Danielson SS360/2
Richard Hsu Hsunami 2.0

Are they different, yes... but not as much as you might think
Do i play with any of them on a given day, yes...
Frankly, maybe it is just me (i tend to like medium hard tips or at least firmer ones) but dialing in the tip, for the butt it is used on makes more of a difference than anything else.

BTW - the list regular maple shafts (1 Ash shaft and some low deflection maple ones, including ferruless ) i have is long and the other day, i pulled out the original DPK shaft with an Iv**y ferrule and a shaft Bender made for the DPK (short ferruled) and other than needing to stay a little closer to the center of the cueball... wasn't a big adjustment.

If i had to buy one shaft tomorrow, i'd probably buy a carbon... but only because of the cleaning of it, and potential longevity... and i say potential, because truly... we don't know how they will hold up 30 years from now. We do have a track record with Maple/Ash (except for as we clean them, over time the taper / size will change).

Which is better/more comfortable for you? Find some friends and try some... some you may hate, sound, pivot point, weight/balance on your cue??

of my 3 carbons (which playing often in bars get the most workout), Bull gets the most action (now has a lightly pressed triangle on it - the original kanji and i did not get along) as it goes on the DPK butt, Tiger Fortis Pro is very much a favorite, with a shot in tiger onyx tip (couldn't make anything when i first got it and the tip was softer) i can do things with that (power draw) that i cannot do with any other shaft i own. The cuetec, well it does get some play as a practice cue on my table, but for me... it is the 3rd of the 3 carbons i own.

YMMV - sorry for the long post

SSP

IMHO all CF shafts are not created equal, I would check out the Becue website , they explain their technology and create several different shafts for the type of feel you are looking for, I have purchased several cues and shafts from them and they are great to work with.

SKILLZELITE

Universality
Gold Member
Silver Member
I appreciate everyones insight. Being this thread is nearly a yr & a half old, Ive since own or owned nearly every big name shaft on the market, currently in my bag is the following revo 12.4 & revo 11.8, Becue engage 12.3, Tiger fortis Ld ,Tiger fortis pro, cynergy 10.5, , rhino cf 12.2 , and lastly my own creation ,a 12.5mm core modified
ferrule-less shaft.

Ive also, within the yr + have owned, and sold , engage 11.8, hsunami v1 12.3 .

For me it comes down to what has the best feel while still offering among the least amount of squirt. With that in mind, my goto shafts would be The Tiger fortis Ld & Pro, Then the ferrule-less I mentioned, after that Id pick the Revo 11.8, then the cynergy 10.5 , its near a tie between the engage 12.3(more feel) & the revo 12.4 (slightly less squirt).

Last edited:

DeadStick

i like turtles
Gold Member
Silver Member
I appreciate everyones insight. Being this thread is nearly a yr & a half old, Ive since own or owned nearly every big name shaft on the market, currently in my bag is the following revo 12.4 & revo 11.8, Becue engage 12.3, Tiger fortis ld ,tiger fortis pro, cynergy 10.5, flowers smo shaft, rhino cf 12.2 , and lastly my own creation ,a 12.5mm core modified
ferrule-less shaft.

Ive also, within the yr + since I created this thread have owned, and sold , engage 11.8, hsunami v1 12.3 .

For me it comes down to what has the best feel while still offering among the least amount of squirt. With that in mind, my goto shafts would be The Tiger fortis Ld & Pro, Then the ferrule-less I mentioned, after that Id pick the Revo 11.8, then the cynergy 10.5 , its near a tie between the engage 12.3(more feel) & the revo 12.4 (slightly less squirt).
I'd like to try the Tiger Fortis LD, the orange ferrule is sweet, but they need to calm down a bit with their marketing copy (emphasis mine):

"As one of the most powerful, solid hitting and no deflection shafts on the market"

from https://tigerproducts.com/products/fortis-ld-carbon-fiber-shaft

CeaseLess

So i have:
Carbon:
Cuetec Cynergy (when they first came out)
Tiger Fortis Pro
Bull Carbon

Keilwood:
Prather (one of Jeff's personal shooting shafts bought at SBE one year, when Keilwood first came out)
Bob Danielson SS360/2
Richard Hsu Hsunami 2.0

Are they different, yes... but not as much as you might think
Do i play with any of them on a given day, yes...
Frankly, maybe it is just me (i tend to like medium hard tips or at least firmer ones) but dialing in the tip, for the butt it is used on makes more of a difference than anything else.

BTW - the list regular maple shafts (1 Ash shaft and some low deflection maple ones, including ferruless ) i have is long and the other day, i pulled out the original DPK shaft with an Iv**y ferrule and a shaft Bender made for the DPK (short ferruled) and other than needing to stay a little closer to the center of the cueball... wasn't a big adjustment.

If i had to buy one shaft tomorrow, i'd probably buy a carbon... but only because of the cleaning of it, and potential longevity... and i say potential, because truly... we don't know how they will hold up 30 years from now. We do have a track record with Maple/Ash (except for as we clean them, over time the taper / size will change).

Which is better/more comfortable for you? Find some friends and try some... some you may hate, sound, pivot point, weight/balance on your cue??

of my 3 carbons (which playing often in bars get the most workout), Bull gets the most action (now has a lightly pressed triangle on it - the original kanji and i did not get along) as it goes on the DPK butt, Tiger Fortis Pro is very much a favorite, with a shot in tiger onyx tip (couldn't make anything when i first got it and the tip was softer) i can do things with that (power draw) that i cannot do with any other shaft i own. The cuetec, well it does get some play as a practice cue on my table, but for me... it is the 3rd of the 3 carbons i own.

YMMV - sorry for the long post
I also tried the fortis and loved it, plays great with a nice feel. But I've been leaning towards a bob danielson, just deciding on pulling the trigger, I've heard nothing but good things About them. So you know the pivot length on your ss360/2?

THam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I gave a kielwood a try after trying many carbon fibers. I really just wasn't a big fan of how it felt. I'm going to stick with carbon.