Korean Kim Ga-Young banned from playing in Taiwan

big_worm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From Taiwan media sources, she got kicked out of tourneys there, apparently because of a row between Taiwan and Korea in Asian Games pool event, in which Kim was Korea's English interpreter.
Poor Kim!:(

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
This is not clear at all.

Are you suggesting a) that Kim's translations led to ill-will between the two countires, or b) that Kim happened to be the translator at an event in which there was a problem between the two countries but she didn't have anything to do with it, or c) something else.

There are many ways to read your post. Please clarify.

Last edited:

big_worm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sjm said:
This is not clear at all.

Are you suggesting a) that Kim's translations led to ill-will between the two countires, or b) that Kim happened to be the translator at an event in which there was a problem between the two countries but she didn't have anything to do with it, or c) something else.

There are many ways to read your post. Please clarify.

I was suggesting B.
As far as I know, the row arose during the men's 9-ball event, a match between Wu Chia Ching & Jeoung Young Hwa. The Korean staged a strong protest after a foul call on Jeoung. Kim, the only English speaking palyer in the Korean camp, acted only as the interpreter.
The protest was turned down, but Jeoung came back from a big deficit to eliminate Wu after that.
Some Taiwanese believed the 17-year-old Wu was "emotionally affected" by the Korean antics and took their anger out on Kim.
Kim did nothing wrong, many believe, but the Taiwanese press made a big deal out of it and the billiard association is succumbing to the pressure.

Kim's been plying her trade in Taiwan for years. He speaks Korean, English as well as Chinese. When playing abroad, she's also an interpreter for the Taiwanese player!

Last edited:

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WOW-This is terrible news. She loves Taiwan and the whole pool scene-what an unfair thing to do.

GYK-Come stay with me!

Da Poet

Pool is Cool
Silver Member
What's the source of this story? I googled around for a while and couldn't find anything.

Barbara

Wilson deleted my avatar
Silver Member
Nostroke said:
WOW-This is terrible news. She loves Taiwan and the whole pool scene-what an unfair thing to do.

GYK-Come stay with me!

Naahhh~~~She likes my car BEST!!!

Barbara

buddha162

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It doesn't make sense that Taiwan---a country obsessed with pool---would kick out a 2 time World Champion who freely professes her love for her host country, exclaiming in interviews and conversations that she moved to Taiwan to learn 9-ball...over something that's not even her fault.

If this is true it's an outrage. I'm just not convinced that it's true.

-Roger

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
buddha162 said:
It doesn't make sense that Taiwan---a country obsessed with pool---would kick out a 2 time World Champion who freely professes her love for her host country, exclaiming in interviews and conversations that she moved to Taiwan to learn 9-ball...over something that's not even her fault.

If this is true it's an outrage. I'm just not convinced that it's true.

-Roger

It may not make sense, but Asian pro pool has a long and pronounced history of excluding players on the basis of nationality alone. It has often been noted on this forum that in Asia's top, and most lucrative, nine ball tour, The San Miguel Tour, is not open to Americans. Some have offered the lame excuse that The San Miguel Tour was a qulaifying tour for the world championships, but the UPA always allowed everybody, regardless of nationality, to play in UPA events while the UPA was America's qualifying tour for the world championships.

We can hope against hope that this news proves false, but if it isn't, it's hardly shocking in the part of the world where exclusion from competition on the basis of natonality is far too common in pro pool.

big_worm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Relations between the Korea & Taiwan camps were pretty tense after the incident. The Taiwanese press exagerated matters to attack Kim, saying there was a change of attitude in her and that she didn't even greet or shake hands with Taiwanese players during matches.
(I think that's understandable considering the feuding atmosphere)

Kim said she's talking it over with her Taiwanese boyfriend and considering a move to play in the states.

There are actually some other Korean or Japanese players playing in Taiwan. But unlike Kim, they failed to make an impact.
Kim's been quite dominate in Taiwan over the last few years and that might have hurt their pride.
IMO, this is the reason why she got the kick.

sniper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If this is indeed true it's really a shame, I hate it when the politics side of the game get's in the way of something. Like Big Worm pointed out maybe this has something to do with her domination of women's pool in Taiwan because it sure seems like she's being targeted unfairly.

cuetechasaurus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
big_worm said:
http://tw.myblog.yahoo.com/poolcoachsteven/article?mid=1264&prev=-1&next=1257

You couldn't find it cuz it was just on some local papers, which are in Chinese.
But it has become a hot topic on Taiwan's pool forums, with divided opinions.
http://forum.baroc.org/read.php?f=1&i=7928&t=7928

Is there a way to transfer the characters on those pages to english? Because so far all you've provided in proof is some pics of Kim posing with Chinese players and alot of Chinese words.

Sprite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
big_worm said:
From Taiwan media sources, she got kicked out of tourneys there, apparently because of a row between Taiwan and Korea in Asian Games pool event, in which Kim was Korea's English interpreter.
Poor Kim!:(

We need the source.

buddha162

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cuetechasaurus said:
Is there a way to transfer the characters on those pages to english? Because so far all you've provided in proof is some pics of Kim posing with Chinese players and alot of Chinese words.

If I can figure out how to download this Chinese reader I'll provide some insight...

-Roger (Chinese is a bit rusty but I think I can handle it...)

weeseng

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cuetechasaurus said:

I can read chinese. The first link is to a billiards blog and the second is to a forum. I've read this http://tw.news.yahoo.com/article/url/d/a/070110/11/96ti.html on Yahoo!Taiwan as well, so the news can't be wrong.

Basically the Taiwanese pool authorities decided, on a voting basis, that Kim should not play in their country anymore, following the "ugly" incident during Asia games. When interviewed, Kim said that she didn't think she did anything wrong and insisted that she has always been on good terms with the Taiwanese players.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just spoke with the fabulous Little Devil Girl.
She is in Korea.

Basically everything big_worm said is correct.

She is going back to TW on Friday and will have an interview with the Press Saturday to try to get her side out. A Taiwanese champion will be with her for support and interpretation help.

Good luck Miss Kim but don't worry- They can't keep a girl down!

Last edited:

buddha162

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nostroke said:
She is in Korea.

She is going back to TW on Friday and will have an interview with the Press to try to get her side out. A Taiwanese champion will be with her for support and interpretation help.

This is insane. Being a person who lived in Taiwan for most of his life, I'm very disappointed at this senseless display of nationalism.

-Roger (rooting for GaYoung...)

Last edited:

Da Poet

Pool is Cool
Silver Member
Nostroke said:
She is in Korea.

She is going back to TW on Friday and will have an interview with the Press Saturday to try to get her side out. A Taiwanese champion will be with her for support and interpretation help.

I figured time would sort this story out, but man, what a bunch of children huh?

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Da Poet said:
I figured time would sort this story out, but man, what a bunch of children huh?

Shameful and I understand they are spouting the whole "she is taking money out of the Taiwanese player's hands" (in tournaments) thing.

Duh!!

Shall we ban Allison, Karen, XTP?

No because we want the best. Apparently that is not that important to the Taiwanese pool world.

PS-Miss Kim will be doing an exhibition in North Carolina on Feb 19th with Melissa Little. Details when i get them.