Large butt cues

luke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Which prodution cues have a large diameter butt for easier holding with arthritic hands?

sk8ordie

HTTR!
Silver Member
I had a Predator Sneaky Pete with the green veneers. I sold it after 2 months because the butt end was to large for my liking. Did that with a girlfriend too, j/k :)

desmocourtney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a really nice custom four point Frey with a bit of junk in the trunk.

For sale. Photos on request.

desmocourtney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a really nice custom four point Frey with a bit of junk in the trunk for sale. Photos on request. $1,400.00.

Highmiles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a Balabushka (Adams) WMGB-1 that I bought for just that reason. The butt is much larger diameter than any others I have owned. Even though I got 2 shafts with it, I have always used it with an original Predator 314. It works very well when I have problems with my hands.

Attachments

• Bushka 002.jpg
    Bushka 002.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 528

thefonz

It's not me...it's my ADD
Silver Member
dear sir mix-a-lot

pick up a predator P3, she's got a big butt that doesn't taper down for for about a foot. won't even fit right in many cue cases. plus it hits darn straight. by the way, i can sell you one for a good price if you wish.:thumbup:

sk8ordie

HTTR!
Silver Member
pick up a predator P3, she's got a big butt that doesn't taper down for for about a foot. won't even fit right in many cue cases. plus it hits darn straight. by the way, i can sell you one for a good price if you wish.:thumbup:

That's how my Predator SP was too. Like a club.:D

Kiwis11

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The old Brunswick "Willie Hoppe's" and "Master Strokes" both have huge butts that won't fit in most tubed cue cases. I have two Hoppes and one Master Stroke...all like new. They have leather wraps and brass joints.

12310bch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Luke, I just happened to have a retro 1960's cue that I had spiffed up a bit just for the heck of it. Original black ferrule, original wrap, most likely linen, brass joint, Merry Widow. It has the typical thicker butt common to the era. I don't know the manufacturer. See the pictures below. It is beautiful. It can be had very reasonably. P.M. me and we will discuss it.

Attachments

• better whole stick.jpg
    better whole stick.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 322
  • butt joint.jpg
    butt joint.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 311
  • merry widow wrap.jpg
    merry widow wrap.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 299
  • shaft joint.jpg
    shaft joint.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 320

PC_John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hmmm, Sounds like a bunch of them have big butts.

Measurements? What size is considered big?

I don't know if mine has a big or little butt, but I do know it just feels right when I pick it up. :)

mick hodapp

Registered
The old Brunswick "Willie Hoppe's" and "Master Strokes" both have huge butts that won't fit in most tubed cue cases. I have two Hoppes and one Master Stroke...all like new. They have leather wraps and brass joints.
Can you please tell me what the end of nutt diameter is on your Hoppe cue ? I owned one a long time ago & would like to duplicate it on a cue that I am having built. Thank you 1

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
If you want the really large butts, vintage cues are the way to go. The older the better. If the jointed ones are too expensive, maybe buy an old one piece. I use a one piece cue for snooker sometimes, if you're driving to the pool hall it's not really as big of a hassle as you may think. Or just fatten up the butt of an old cue with squash racket wrap. It's nice and grippy, if that's what you like.

dquarasr

Registered
Thread bump! I have a vintage Adam and it doesn't fit in my cue case butt-end first. I have to load it joint end first.

At my "normal" grip point, my break cue (unknown brand but representative of today's cues), the diameter is exactly one inch. So is the Adam. But at the far end of the butt, the break cue is 1 1/14", and the Adam is 1 3/8" which is only 1/8" larger.

Considering they're the same at the grip point, this is a crap post. :)

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The early Schon cues seemed to have larger diameter butts. Mine is
from the mid-80’s and it has a wider butt than all my other pool cues.