Last Pocket 8 Ball

Adam Brown

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
An older guy I played with turned me onto this game about 8 years ago. He was about 85 then and loved this game. Every time we would get together I was guaranteed to play last pocket for atleast 2 hours. Some of the younger people I play with have never heard of this game. I was wondering if it is popular anywhere else.

Thanks, Adam

Eddie May

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very popular with a lot of mexican pool players I know. They always want to gamble on last pocket 8ball.

TSW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like to play last pocket bank 9 ball. That is, it's 9 ball but the 9 has to be banked into the pocket in which the last ball was pocketed.

It's a fun game to play as a lark, and it's guaranteed to get some quizzical looks from passersby.

Mr. Wiggles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last pocket.

An older guy I played with turned me onto this game about 8 years ago. He was about 85 then and loved this game. Every time we would get together I was guaranteed to play last pocket for atleast 2 hours. Some of the younger people I play with have never heard of this game. I was wondering if it is popular anywhere else.

Thanks, Adam

Very common in the South, followed also with bank the eight. Most people play each must have a different pocket, sort of makes sense. Pocketing other than your pocket is a loss.

JC

Coos Cues
Last pocket, bank the eight, one and fifteen in the side etc. are all designed to even the speed of the contestents. When someone asks me to play these type of games one thing is for certain, they don't think they play as well as I do.

JC

spatlese44

Registered
Always was a common game in Wisconsin.

Is it really a Wisconsin thing? I thought we were just like everyone else. Everybody knows about bank-the-eight, right?

There's also a set of "Milwaukee rules" bar rules, the biggest difference being that a scratch on the eight isn't a loss.

jeopardy98

Registered
One of my buddies and I play bank the 8 every time we play. We have for the last 5 years. If we are playing league practice or at a quarter table we don't do it. I was actually tuned on to last pocket by a couple of Mexicans that I had played with a few times. They are the only ones that I have ever played it with in over 20 years. They want to play it every time we play.

Bowmer

"Shooter"
Silver Member
Very popular with a lot of mexican pool players I know. They always want to gamble on last pocket 8ball.

Sí, señor thats the same everywhere I go. But usually they aren't too good at setup on the last ball and the 8. I usually see them banking back and forth for hours.... seems kinda crazy to me.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Like others, my experience has been... the mexican players love it (along with that game where you start out with every ball on the rail) and otherwise nobody plays it. Kind of dragged things out but it does add a little extra strategy.

EAGLETRICKSHOTS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm 15, and the first ever pool game that I shot was 8 ball last pocket. Also, on any fouls you spot one of your potted balls-not sure if anyone plays it like that.

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm 15, and the first ever pool game that I shot was 8 ball last pocket. Also, on any fouls you spot one of your potted balls-not sure if anyone plays it like that.

Hard to do on a barbox, but yes, on a 9-footer, that's how it was played in the particular neighborhood room I grew up in (which was an area with a vibrant Latino population).

In the room I'm playing in now, we play a variant called "Bank Last Pocket 8-ball" -- meaning, you have to make the 8-ball with a called bank shot into your last pocket. (This is a variation us 1P'ers love -- and one of the few times in 8-ball you'll see "take-out" shots performed. ;) )

-Sean

GoldCrown

Pool players have more balls
Gold Member
Silver Member
We play that at our community clubhouse.
What rules are you playing by. I realize everyone has different set.
Do you bring up a ball for any foul?
Ball in hand or behind the line?

Last edited: