Learn with an aiming system or not

Brags

Banned
WOW, you must be a real player, because you want to play pro's, you know everything there is to know about aiming, and then to top it off, you know that folks NEVER spot balls, just games. Yep, you're the real deal alright, lol

Spotting balls is stupid.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
picture.php

JoeyA

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I put the odds of the op listening to what I say at close to zero but here goes.

Keep playing until you figure out how to aim. Hint: when you are spinning the cue ball you have to adjust your aim so your high powered "system" won't be worth a flying fu..flamingo.

Keep playing until you figure out how to aim. I recommend equal offense.
By that logic... Just start running and keep running until you figure out how to go fast.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

precisepotting

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The thread is so long and I got lost half way through.

Mike81 started the thread and he was asking if he should be using an aiming system.

JB Cases made many points and there were many who disagree with him. In my humble opinion, I do agree with many points that he made. They are quite logical actually.

In any shooting sport, if you are unable to aim accurately, all other factors will never make you a good shooter. So of course, Aiming is first and foremost.

In pool, the next is to aim at the right place. If you have no clue and kept aiming at the wrong places and hitting a million ball, it will do you no good. More harm in fact. So, my take is, an aiming system is useful for Mike and for people like myself. We probably do not have the time to hit a million balls anyway. My guess (yes, just my guess) is that the top pro started with an aiming system. Along the way, they tried a few aiming systems and slowly, it gets into their subconscious and they are able to shoot accurately with seemingly no conscious aiming system.

JB Cases did not say that CTE is the only aiming system. He said that as long as the aiming system suits you, then use it. He himself is using the CTE aiming system (which is not for newbie as they will not understand one bit of it) and that is all he intended to say. I personally do not know CTE, but if it works for him then why not.

It would be weird for an instructor to teach a newbie, "I place the colour ball here, and you place the white colour ball there. Shoot and shoot and you will finally learn where to shoot to pocket the colour ball". Nonsense right? I have taught my daughter and the first thing is I placed a "ghost" ball to where the ghost ball is, and tell her to strike the cue ball in such a way as to replace the "ghost" ball position. That itself is the ghost ball aiming system. Clear and simple.

Once you have addressed these two issues (able to aim correctly and aiming at the right place for all angles), then we can talk about perfecting the stroke. The difficulty is bringing the cue ball to the spot/s on the object ball where the object ball is and making the pocket. I know most emphasis the need for perfect straight stroke, I do agree to a certain degree. That is sound, but is not always necessary.

I believe you might think that I am not a proponent for HAMB. That to a certain extent is true. Look at the world junior players. How many of them have the luxury of using HAMB method to improve their pool skills. Talent. Yes plenty.

If you want to use HAMB, then you must get an instructor to review your strokes probably after a thousand strokes. That way, he can correct you where you are wrong and you will not fall into getting your muscle memory to do the wrong execution.

I know JB Cases seemed to be making a big case for CTE and his wordings can be curt at times, but he does seem to know his stuff very well - at least on my books from what I have read so far.

Just my two cents worth. Don't flame me. I will not participate in this thread any longer. Just happen to browse it.

Last edited: