Legend of Rambow

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have one little question. Is it possible that the Axel F. Hjort you are discussing is the same as the Axel F. Hjort who died 25 July 1938 in Chicago IL?
https://familysearch.org/s/recordDe...205871/p1&hash=HloWXpZgU9zB10k5M56iYku8TUc%3D

/Beastesse

It is absolutely possible and I believe they are one and the same.
Axel's wife was Maria Charlotta (or Cherlotta) Mellin.
They had two children: Nels and Magnus.
She died Oct 3rd or 4th 1909 in Chicago.(age 53)
They are both at Graceland cemetery.
Are you related?

(I wonder if anyone noticed that "Axel F" is also the name of the theme song from the movie Beverly Hills Cop. Eddie Murphy was "Axel Foley" )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dASqLXiuomY

Last edited:

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thats very interesting. His first patent is for knurling a handle, and it shows how far we have come in the world of cues.

JV

I've never seen this patent, but would like to. Do you know the number? Where did you hear about it?

Beastesse

It is absolutely possible and I believe they are one and the same.
Axel's wife was Maria Charlotta (or Cherlotta) Mellin.
They had two children: Nels and Magnus.
She died Oct 3rd or 4th 1909 in Chicago.(age 53)
They are both at Graceland cemetery.
Are you related?

Well, if he’s the right person yes, otherwise no. My data differ slightly from the data in the death record at “Family search”.

This is what I have found in the Swedish records:

Axel Ferdinand was born 16 June 1857 in Hjorteshulan, Alingsås (Alingsås stadsförsamling C:6 p. 27). His parents were Andreas Hansson and Helena Eriksdotter.

He left Alingsås 10 April 1880 (Alingsås stadsförsamling BI:4 1880/14). In this record, his name is Axel Ferdinand Andersson and his profession is “timmerman” – carpenter.

In the emigration records (EmiHamn) there is an A F Hjort from Alingsås registered for departure 16 April 1880. His destination is Minneapolis. I don’t know if he is my Axel Ferdinand.

He is mentioned in his mothers estate inventory 31 May 1888 as Axel Ferdinand Hjort (Alingsås rådhusrätts och magistrat FIIa:8 p. 349).

After that, I’m lost…

This is not an unusual situation. American records are a nightmare sometimes.

/Beastesse

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
Still sounds like the same person....

"Herman's Axel" that I mentioned above (according to the 1920 census) came to the U.S. in 1880.

I have him arriving in New York May 5 1880, 23 years old. Ports of Departure Liverpool Eng and Queenstown Ire.
Aboard ship called Scythia

He was married in Chicago Aug 14 1886 (wife mentioned previously)

1889 Chicago Directory lists him as a 'cabinet maker' (carpenter)

What is your relation to Axel, assuming he's the right one?
I'd be pretty proud if my grandfather was a partner of Herman Rambow, and had a reputation as a master cue maker.

Last edited:

Beastesse

I agree partially that we are talking about the same person. There are some ‘Black Swans’ flying around in the documents. In Sweden, when we do genealogy research, it’s recommended that we have five different sources saying the same thing to prove that a person is the right one, so source criticism is really important in this case.

As for the Swedish part of my Axel F. Hjort´s life I’ m sure he’s the right person. I have a birth record, ‘husförhörslängder’ - ‘household examination records’ and the first part of his emigration in original sources. The EmiHamn record in ‘Emigranten popular 2006’ is a secondary source but it’s considered to be a reliable one. His arrival in New York can be seen in original so that’s fine. His journey’s time line looks good too. He left Alingsås on April 10, left Gothenburg on April 16 and arrived in New York on May 5. I think that’s a plausible traveling time in 1880.

My Axel F.’s family in Sweden looked like this:

His parents, Andreas Hansson (1816 – 1890) and Helena Eriksdotter (1810 – 1888), married in 1837 and they had five sons. Andreas was as far as I know a carpenter. They lived in Hjorteshulan, a cottage, all their married life.

Carl Johan (1840 - ?) Carpenter like his father. Lived in a cottage called Sjötorp, not far from where he grew up.

Erik (1844 – 1862) Drowned in Lake Mjörn.

Sven Gustaf (1847 – 1887). Moved to Gothenburg. Carpenter.

Anders Petter (1851 – 1922). Moved to Bälinge parish. Worked as a trackwalker.

Axel Ferdinand (1857 –1938?). Emigrated to The U.S.

My connection is Anders Petter. He’s my maternal grandfather’s father.

Now to the rest of the American paper trail. The first thing I’m worried about is the data gap between his arrival in 1880 and his marriage in Chicago 1886. He’s not in the 1880’s census. Why? The census was in June, he arrived in May. I know that in a U.S. Census you count every single person. How could he slip through the net?

The 1890 census is lost so no help there.

I can’t find him in the 1900 Census. In the 1910 Census, his name is Axel F. Hjordt and he lives together with one son, Magnus, in Chicago. The 1920 Census mentioned in an earlier post. The 1930 Census there’s one Axel F. Hjort in Chicago and one Axel F. Hjort in Maryland… The one I Maryland has the occupation ‘inventor’…

In The U.S. Naturalization Record Indexes, 1791-1992 I found one Axel F. Hjort. His naturalization was on October 11 1888 in Cook County. There’s no information about his immigration year or his age. His ‘Country of birth or allegiance’ is Sweden Norway. This is correct, because Sweden and Norway was a union at that time.

According to the 1888 Voter List, he had lived one year in The Precinct, eight years in The County and eight years in The State of Illinois. The information about his naturalization is the same as above. He shows up again in the 1892 Chicago Voter List. Here, he had lived four years in The Precinct, four years in The County and eleven years in The State of Illinois. He became a naturalized citizen in 1888 in Bureau County IL… He has the same address as in 1888…

The next source of information is the Chicago Directory. Is this a reliable source? I checked the 1885 Chicago Directory and he wasn’t in it. In 1900 version of the directory, his name is Axel Hjort and he is a laborer at the same address in the 1889 version. In the one from 1910, he’s gone. In the 1923 Chicago Directory there’s one Axel F. Hjort listed, this time as a cue maker…

I noted something in the patent applications. Axel F. Hjort didn’t write his signature by himself… This is corresponding with what I know from the ‘household examination records’. In this type of record, among other things, the Minister graded people’s ability to read. My Axel F.’s grade was ‘försvarligt’ – just passable.

Some questions to finish this. Was Herman Rambow a German immigrant? Is there any information about the other Swede Charles Lindquist like his age? His name is popular in Chicago I noticed…

/Beastesse

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
responses below

Now to the rest of the American paper trail. The first thing I’m worried about is the data gap between his arrival in 1880 and his marriage in Chicago 1886. He’s not in the 1880’s census. Why? The census was in June, he arrived in May. I know that in a U.S. Census you count every single person. How could he slip through the net?

Its not as hard as you might think.
First, consider that his name may have been mispelled or recorded as something altogether different. It happened quite frequently, unfortunately.
I even have a great great grandfather that was recorded as a girl when he was a child.

The problem is, the field agent that went walking from door to door would bring his copy of the census back to the courthouse, where at least two other copies were made, by hand. This hand-written transcription process lead to untold numbers of errors, primarily because of sloppy handwriting.

Then again, it was also common for immigrants to dodge policemen, courts, tax collectors, census takers etc for fear of being harrased.
(1920 census says he arrived in 1880, but was not a "citizen" until 1888, perhaps he avoided "official duties" until he was a citizen?)

Last but not least was the housing issue, and finding "every person" to document. In overcrowded "apartment" type buildings, or in transient homes (flop houses) and in hotels in particular, it is not unusual to find that the census taker missed people.

I can’t find him in the 1900 Census.

1909 oct 4 hjort wife died.jpg

In the 1910 Census, his name is Axel F. Hjordt and he lives together with one son, Magnus, in Chicago.

The 1920 Census mentioned in an earlier post. The 1930 Census there’s one Axel F. Hjort in Chicago and one Axel F. Hjort in Maryland… The one I Maryland has the occupation ‘inventor’…

In The U.S. Naturalization Record Indexes, 1791-1992 I found one Axel F. Hjort. His naturalization was on October 11 1888 in Cook County. There’s no information about his immigration year or his age. His ‘Country of birth or allegiance’ is Sweden Norway. This is correct, because Sweden and Norway was a union at that time.

According to the 1888 Voter List, he had lived one year in The Precinct, eight years in The County and eight years in The State of Illinois. The information about his naturalization is the same as above. He shows up again in the 1892 Chicago Voter List. Here, he had lived four years in The Precinct, four years in The County and eleven years in The State of Illinois. He became a naturalized citizen in 1888 in Bureau County IL… He has the same address as in 1888…

I think the above information is key. I'm willing to bet that he intially went to Minneapolis as his departure info stated, but then over a few years time worked his way back east to chicago.

The next source of information is the Chicago Directory. Is this a reliable source?

Just as good, if not better than a census.

I checked the 1885 Chicago Directory and he wasn’t in it.

perhaps he still would have been west of Chicago ^?

In 1900 version of the directory, his name is Axel Hjort and he is a laborer at the same address in the 1889 version. In the one from 1910, he’s gone.
In the 1923 Chicago Directory there’s one Axel F. Hjort listed, this time as a cue maker…

I noted something in the patent applications. Axel F. Hjort didn’t write his signature by himself… This is corresponding with what I know from the ‘household examination records’. In this type of record, among other things, the Minister graded people’s ability to read. My Axel F.’s grade was ‘försvarligt’ – just passable.

Some questions to finish this. Was Herman Rambow a German immigrant?
He was born in Germany roughly a year before his parents came to the U.S.

Is there any information about the other Swede Charles Lindquist like his age? His name is popular in Chicago I noticed…

yeah his name is popular everywhere lol...so he is a bit of a mystery.

i want you to try something, and tell me what you think...

look up Axel Hjort the 1920 census and check out the one that lived in Muskegon, Michigan.

....look at the names of the people he lives with -and where they work....
you'll find a few surprises

/Beastesse

Last edited:

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
my apologies for having to read so much about hjort..

does anyone know if there are some good photos of Rambow to be seen?

hunger strike

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gotthard E. Wahlstrom

I agree partially that we are talking about the same person. There are some ‘Black Swans’ flying around in the documents. In Sweden, when we do genealogy research, it’s recommended that we have five different sources saying the same thing to prove that a person is the right one, so source criticism is really important in this case.

As for the Swedish part of my Axel F. Hjort´s life I’ m sure he’s the right person. I have a birth record, ‘husförhörslängder’ - ‘household examination records’ and the first part of his emigration in original sources. The EmiHamn record in ‘Emigranten popular 2006’ is a secondary source but it’s considered to be a reliable one. His arrival in New York can be seen in original so that’s fine. His journey’s time line looks good too. He left Alingsås on April 10, left Gothenburg on April 16 and arrived in New York on May 5. I think that’s a plausible traveling time in 1880.

My Axel F.’s family in Sweden looked like this:

His parents, Andreas Hansson (1816 – 1890) and Helena Eriksdotter (1810 – 1888), married in 1837 and they had five sons. Andreas was as far as I know a carpenter. They lived in Hjorteshulan, a cottage, all their married life.

Carl Johan (1840 - ?) Carpenter like his father. Lived in a cottage called Sjötorp, not far from where he grew up.

Erik (1844 – 1862) Drowned in Lake Mjörn.

Sven Gustaf (1847 – 1887). Moved to Gothenburg. Carpenter.

Anders Petter (1851 – 1922). Moved to Bälinge parish. Worked as a trackwalker.

Axel Ferdinand (1857 –1938?). Emigrated to The U.S.

My connection is Anders Petter. He’s my maternal grandfather’s father.

I can’t find him in the 1900 Census. In the 1910 Census, his name is Axel F. Hjordt and he lives together with one son, Magnus, in Chicago. The 1920 Census mentioned in an earlier post. The 1930 Census there’s one Axel F. Hjort in Chicago and one Axel F. Hjort in Maryland… The one I Maryland has the occupation ‘inventor’…

The next source of information is the Chicago Directory. Is this a reliable source? I checked the 1885 Chicago Directory and he wasn’t in it. In 1900 version of the directory, his name is Axel Hjort and he is a laborer at the same address in the 1889 version. In the one from 1910, he’s gone. In the 1923 Chicago Directory there’s one Axel F. Hjort listed, this time as a cue maker…

Some questions to finish this. Was Herman Rambow a German immigrant? Is there any information about the other Swede Charles Lindquist like his age? His name is popular in Chicago I noticed…

/Beastesse
Are you in Sweden? Gotthard Wahlstrom is one of only 5 pocket billiard champions whose images Charlie Ursitti and I have never found. I found ALL of the 3-cushion champions' images starting in 1878 by the way. If we could find those last 5 pocket champs it would be an incredible accomplishment. Wahlstrom's nickname was "The Swede." Please see if you can research old newspapers in Sweden if possible...seems like they would have taken great pride in one of their countrymen being billiard champ over here. You may be able to find the image, probably an engraved artist's rendering.

hunger strike

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wahlstrom win....

Are you in Sweden? Gotthard Wahlstrom is one of only 5 pocket billiard champions whose images Charlie Ursitti and I have never found. I found ALL of the 3-cushion champions' images starting in 1878 by the way. If we could find those last 5 pocket champs it would be an incredible accomplishment. Wahlstrom's nickname was "The Swede." Please see if you can research old newspapers in Sweden if possible...seems like they would have taken great pride in one of their countrymen being billiard champ over here. You may be able to find the image, probably an engraved artist's rendering.

Wahlstrom's win was 8-8-1878 over Dion.

Mr Hoppe

Sawdust maker
Silver Member
Mr Bond, thanks very much for your efforts in researching Rambow's career. This is all very interesting.

JohnnyRun

Johnny Run
Put me in your 'be-back book', Hermie

I grew up in Chicago in the 60s TOO! So, when you say "if you played pool in Chicago in the 60's you knew who Herman Rambow was and wanted one of his cues. Didn't matter what age you were, you knew about Rambow." -- well I was 15 and didn't know Rambow. But a guy I worked with at Flagg Bros. Shoes (Adams & Wabash) steered me to Hermie.
After yakking and finagling, I realized it'd be a l-o-n-g time before I owned me a Rambow. Flagg Bros. buck and a quarter an hour just didn't make the grade when Hermie wanted $175 for the cue. I said, "Thanks, but no thanks, Mr. R -- Put me in your 'be-back book'."
Later -- much, much later -- I bought a used custom made Rambow . . . for a little over $2200 . . . and it didn't even have my name on it - HA!(DAMN! Who-da-knowed his stock would go up?!) I played it a time or two -- hits like a charm.

Don't play any more -- anyone interested? Make an offer.
J
John@FullHousePro.com

Attachments

• AZ LaLone - Rambow signature.JPG
    AZ LaLone - Rambow signature.JPG
    6.5 KB · Views: 955
Last edited by a moderator:

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
wow those are big chief. can you size them down for us? or just provide a link?

notice the date the patent was filed - aug 1922 - a month after the albert pick buy-out is announced.

but by the time the patent is granted in 1925 - it's been assigned to brunswick.

(i'd still really like to see the other alleged patent that someone mentioned earlier in the thread. i'm begining to think that its just a myth)

donate the cue to the Chicago Billiard Museum :cool: (tax deductable!)

Last edited:

JamesWhite

I knew a player by the name of Howard Barrett. He had a rambow made for him. He kept it for years even though he played with Joss and Zsamboti. He preferred to play with the rambow but he said he was afraid "something might happen to it". Howard told me that there was once a time when Mr. Rambow was old that he would go to work in cuemakers' shops and it was known in some circle of friends that he did some "moonlight" work. I was told that they let Rambow do that so they could find out directly from him some of his "tricks". Do you think there is validity to these stories? Howard Barrett was pretty well known to have "been around". I acquired a cue once that nobody could identify and it has been a wonderful cue. It was hinted at that it was a moonlight cue. What do you think about my story?

Beastesse

Mr. Bond, thank you very much for all the help and information regarding Axel F. Hjort. I hope this hasn’t taken too much time from this thread’s original goal to find out more about Herman Rambow.

This isn’t an answer to your previous post, but I think this can be interesting…

I mentioned earlier that Axel F. Hjort’s birthplace was ‘Hjorteshulan’. There’s still a house at the same place as Hjorteshulan, now called Äspevik. It’s probably the same house. I assume you have Google Earth, so write the following in the search field, you will find it: Aspevik, Loviksvagen 11, Alingsas.

Now Äspevik/Hjorteshulan is for sale. According to the real estate agent, the building is from 1850. Axel F.’s father, Andreas Hansson, moved in there with his mother, Carin Andersdotter, in 1835. His mother, to make this more complicated, moved in from ‘Espevik’… (According to the death records, Carin Andersdotter still lived in Espevik when she died in December 1835.) The original cottage (maybe cottages) Espevik was situated to the east from Hjorteshulan and it was a cottage, which belonged to a farm in the hamlet Björkekärr. Nice pictures on the property here: http://objekt.fastighetsbyran.se/Templates/Pages/ObjectImages.aspx?ObjektGID=OBJ5010_1111739695

Is there a way to find out if Äspevik is Hjorteshulan? I think so. There are historical maps online: http://historiskakartor.lantmaterie...=6423500&xMin=348941&yMax=6424400&xMax=349841 To see the maps you need the plug-in DjVu. The best map is the Hundred’s Map: ‘Alingsås J112-33-8’. Hjorteshulan is Hjorthålan on the map. Of course Hjorteshulan in cut in half, so the other part is on ‘Östad J112-33-7’. The two other maps under ’Geographical Survey Archive’ are interesting too.

/Beastesse

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
Is it me, or are pictures of Rambow (other than newspaper) hard to come by?

Last edited:

hotrod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You know, thats what I have always thought. It just doesnt make all the sense in the world. A painter at a fixture company? I guess its possible but its a little odd.

sounds like a painter ata store fixture company. shelving and gonzolas were all hand made as in the carpentry trade at that time. Painters were the ones putting on the finish coat. Store shelving units were still being made in cabinet shops up intill the late sixties. Falls in line with spraying technique used on pool cues/ Not brush but spray gun.

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
.....The man who did 99% of the caligraphy for his cues, was a long time score board caligrapher for the PGA in the 30's,40's and 50's. His name was Charlie Kimmel, a litttle "banty rooster" type, that stood about 5'2".

He was from Chicago, and played fair straight pool and billiards about the same. He mostly hung around in pool room on the Northside called, "Howard n' Paulina", owned by Bob Segal. Charlie used to prey on the young, naive, wealthy Jewish kids that hung around. I don't think I ever witnessed a game with Charlie playing that an argument didn't insue shortly after it's start. I guess it might have been that 5'2'' thing, I don't know! Needless to say he was just another guy in the pool world with GREAT penmanship!

Charles Kimmel, Official Golf Scorer
September 28, 1990|By Kenan Heise.

Charles Kimmel, 88, a golf scorekeeper, served as the official scorer for more than a thousand professional golf tournaments in a career that spanned 59 years.

A resident of Des Plaines, he died of cancer Wednesday at Lutheran General Hospital, Park Ridge.

``He was very outgoing and friendly and had a fantastic memory to go with it,`` his daughter, Marilyn Meyers, said. ``He could recall names, places and dates in every sport, but especially in golf. He would walk into a club and would know the first and last names as well as the faces of all the members.``

His scoreboards have been famous since 1931 when he scored his first major tournament. He wrote the players` names and scores in flawless Old English script. As electronic scoreboards took over on the course, his clubhouse boards remained the ones next to which the winners posed.

Mr. Kimmel started playing golf in the mid-1920s and continued playing into his late 80s, proud of the fact that he continued to be able to shoot his age. He learned calligraphy from his father and developed a style that was similar to a printer`s work.

A neat and accurate man, he was appalled in 1931 when as a spectator he attended the U.S. Amateur Tournament at the Beverly Country Club in Chicago. He saw a scorer doing sloppy work and frequently having to cross out earlier errors. He felt he could do better and applied for the job at the Western Open. Tournament officials agreed and hired him.

One of four or five scorers in the country, he worked as many as three dozen professional and private tournaments a year. These have included Masters tournaments, U.S. Opens, Ryder Cups and 50 Western Opens. Among the private ones was the King of Morocco Tournament in North Africa.

Mr. Kimmel excelled also with the violin and at billiards. His musical talent took him onto the Ted Mack Original Amateur Hour and the Bing Crosby Show. He won the Chicago billiard championship and played against world champion Willie Masconi in exhibitions.

Survivors, besides his daughter, include his wife of 65 years, Constance; three other daughters, Shirley Shabazian, Barbara Demma and Pamela Becker; a son, Allen; 19 grandchildren; 19 great-grandchildren; and a brother.

Services will be private.

Source

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
When exactly did Rambow leave Brunswick...?
(and when was the company "Superior Cue Mfg " born)

1910 - From census records we know that Rambow was in Chicago and we know that Hjort was in Chicago. Presumably both working for Brunswick at the time.

1918- Rambow in Chicago, and according to WWI draft card, still works for Brunswick.

During this period, something changed.
Hjort moved to Michigan...
Rambow appears to have quit working for Brunswick...

1920 - Hjort can now be found in Muskegon Michigan working at the Brunswick factory there.
Rambow is still in Chicago, but the census appears to say that he is a painter.

View attachment 171421

Since he isnt working for Brunswick, perhaps he took a painters job just to pay the bills?

It seems to be during this time (1921) that Rambow, Hjort and Lindquist created the Superior Cue Co. News of their business probably spread around town fairly quickly, prompting Albert Pick to take advantage of the situation.

1922 - Superior Cue Manufacturing is 'bought out' by Albert Pick & Co.

1923 - Chicago directory says: Rambow, Herman - billiard mngr. (this would presumably be for Pick)

conclusion: Rambow left Brunswick aprox 1919. Superior formed aprox 1921.

Addressing the time-frame marked in red above:
I found these job listings from 1919 in the Chicago Tribune...

They could explain where Herman went to work when he left Brunswick.
Notice how Albert Pick is looking for factory workers.
Perhaps this is where he painted fixtures...

It could also explain why and how Albert Pick came to employ Herman and his crew as cue makers.
Notice how Pick has multiple ads for cue makers needed.

1919 Aug 24 Albert Pick Employment ads.jpg

Last edited: