Lessons Sergio gave pool players today

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Whoever says Serg didn't "win" it does not know the subtleties of golf. To par #13 after having to take an uplayable was like a masse'd three railer in pool. And that eagle on 15 allowed him to erase a mistake in which pool has no equivalent. Sir Nick said it all day. Serg's short irons and wedges were as good as they have ever been and his putter never really failed him. Did he limp along in the middle of the round, sure, but he also posted two early birdies to push the field. He also took the tee box after the eagle and put pressure on Rose to match him on every drive after that. I think we have gotten too used 3 stroke victories. Just because nobody went super low on Sunday doesn't mean that he didn't earn it.

Sunday late turned into match stroke play , , the par save was nothing short of spectacular and the eagle ranks up there with one of the best of all time , gaining the tee box can't be overlooked ,, his tee ball was erratic but then he was striping it straight down the pike putting the pressure on Rose it's pretty rare that a golfer who's lost his swing late in a round to all of a sudden regain form the way Sergio did and his play forced errors by Rose

Was it a dominating performance no it wasn't however what it was is a great example of a player who refused to give up old Sergio would have lost going away
This Sergio dug deep stayed calm then gained confidence fought his way back to even and turned the table and capitalized on his opponent's mistakes

That's where the lesson is , if your down in a match your not out ,forget the score play one shot at a time and maybe just maybe you will earase the deficit and come out on top

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To bring other sports into a thread about opt her sports...

I head a blip on sports tv that said jimmy johnson was running 170 bpm the last few laps of whatever big nascar race was last weekend.

Tuff to execute when your running that fast, but those who can, do.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Spainiards are conquering world of major sports . Heck they are even doing well in world of food boasting a few elite chefs like Adria
Small country less than 50M people. Maybe it is the food, love their music and their football
Go Barcelona go!
:grin-square:

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Spainiards are conquering world of major sports . Heck they are even doing well in world of food boasting a few elite chefs like Adria
Small country less than 50M people. Maybe it is the food, love their music and their football
Go Barcelona go!

They have a few NBA guys who can play too:)

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Go Barcelona go!

Spain has quietly assumed the role of lead doping country, it is widely thought.

The footballers, nadal...they dont get tired when the day gets long

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What about Indurain? He sure never got tired:grin:

It is worth a 2nd look, but i believe the general determination is that he was clean. His successes have been credited to his being a freak of nature and he was somewhat maligned for focusing solely on le Tour. HE stayed with the group on the flats, didnt lose much time in the mountains and ate souls in the time trials. That is a strategy that others used successfully after him in grand tours too.

The real performance boosts came with EPO, which was not used during indurain's career.

But hell, they might all be on dope. That is big business and the money is short term.

Last edited:

ShoreShot

Sergio didn't deserve it. He may have won but I lost all respect for him when he was the definition of a sore loser after the 07 open. Man could have lost with dignity but instead was a ***** about it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sorry that this post sounds very negative.

Did we watch the same tournament?

Some of the players around Sergio faltered.
No one made a run.
Sergio didn't win the tournament per se, as much as the other players lost it.
It happens. I give credit to Sergio for hanging on in sudden-death. That's really it.
Congrats, Sergio, but you didn't win this tournament.
I really don't see a lesson from Sergio's win.

Since we're talking golf though-- it saddens me that Olazabel has only 6 tour wins and has a career earnings of over $12mil.
Sick! Glad I never stuck with pool as a career.

I played the Chicago Golf Gambling circuit for over 25 years! Just as in 3 cushion, I know what it takes to WIN! Golf is not like the cue games, you or your opponent can not personally apply 'Defense' ! The course and elements do that! Sergio , WON, no doubt about it, sometimes this goes in the cue games also, "You don't have to beat your opponent, just give them a chance to lose!"

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Sergio didn't deserve it. He may have won but I lost all respect for him when he was the definition of a sore loser after the 07 open. Man could have lost with dignity but instead was a ***** about it.

That was ten years ago....

To think that every rich Spaniard at the age of 28 can act like an adult, is naïve.
Go south of the border if ya want a real taste of Machismo.

Last edited:

ShoreShot

That was ten years ago....

To think that every rich Spaniard at the age of 28 can act like an adult, is naïve.
Go south of the border if ya want a real taste of Machismo.
Look at Jon Rahm.. another Spaniard in his early twenties who carries himself with respect. Being a rich Spaniard is a pass? Haha. Being yourself back to reality cheif.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Look at Jon Rahm.. another Spaniard in his early twenties who carries himself with respect. Being a rich Spaniard is a pass? Haha. Being yourself back to reality cheif.

He probably learned from others mistakes, and the PGA tour and media has a way of ''controlling'' your Earl esque actions, with fines and barring and all that goes along with that. Not saying being a Spaniard gives one a pass, but the culture, macho etc. is endemic to their social structure, that's all. My sister in law is a Spanish Professor and has read hundreds of books about their culture, just the way it is. Now if ya want ta go another route, how about French women :). Some of us grow up earlier than others. Hope ya had a great easter.

middleofnowhere

Registered
Congrats to him winning the masters,, In 1999 Sergio finest second to Tiger and was billed as the next superstar who would win many majors in his career , that simply did not ever transpire what we saw was a player who could win PGA tour events but faultered on the biggest stage
Yet today with all the naysayers lined up on the 25 anniversary of his idols masters win , he started out strong and choked away his lead falling behind at that point point all most everyone wrote him off
Then he did what champions do he left the bad shots behind him played in the moment and one shot at a time until his opponent made the mistake

I couldn't help thinking how often pool players pack it in and concede long before the match is over ,
The lesson is never give up fight to the finish and you may just come out on top when it's least expected

There is a big difference, In golf you play the course. In pool (Like boxing or tennis) you directly play your opponent. Making a mistake in pool no matter how you try often you just can't come back. The other player now has his boot on you neck and will not let you up. He can control you, Golf is nothing like that.

Heck, you don't even have to see your opponent to play him in golf. It is a different sport altogether.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is a big difference, In golf you play the course. In pool (Like boxing or tennis) you directly play your opponent. Making a mistake in pool no matter how you try often you just can't come back. The other player now has his boot on you neck and will not let you up. He can control you, Golf is nothing like that.

Heck, you don't even have to see your opponent to play him in golf. It is a different sport altogether.

Nothing even close to boxing or tennis where you are physically engaged with your opponent ,,much closer to golf , it's rare that a guy runs the set on you in pool and a lot of tournaments are alternating break ,, so you get your opportunity

row21097

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Please!
See regression to the mean!

Also see duration neglect and peak end effect. No need to create a supporting narrative. He won. He played in 73 majors without a win only two other professional golfers have played in more without a win.

A bunch of great players get together and one wins.

Bert

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Please!
See regression to the mean!

Also see duration neglect and peak end effect. No need to create a supporting narrative. He won. He played in 73 majors without a win only two other professional golfers have played in more without a win.

A bunch of great players get together and one wins.

Bert

Don't see where regression to the mean has any bearing in this conversation other than a predictable outcome in the end , which in his case predicts he won't win , however peak end effect and or rule does suggest a player will predictably perform the same way under similar circumstances, however Extension neglect is a plausible evaluation of what Sergio experienced as his mind ignored previous outcomes and it allowed his cognitive thinking hold center stage ,, simply put he played with confidence and that was what brought him across the finish line ,,

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Leave it to pool players to reject a useful and obvious lesson about not giving up.

row21097

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't see where regression to the mean has any bearing in this conversation other than a predictable outcome in the end , which in his case predicts he won't win , however peak end effect and or rule does suggest a player will predictably perform the same way under similar circumstances, however Extension neglect is a plausible evaluation of what Sergio experienced as his mind ignored previous outcomes and it allowed his cognitive thinking hold center stage ,, simply put he played with confidence and that was what brought him across the finish line ,,

Coralation and regression are different perspectives of the same phenomenon (except for correlation coefficients of 1 or -1).
"In statistics, regression toward (or to) the mean is the phenomenon that if a variable is extreme on its first measurement, it will tend to be closer to the average on its second measurement—and if it is extreme on its second measurement, it will tend to have been closer to the average on its first."
Please google "duration neglect and peak end effect" these are well known and accepted principles of economics.

Regards
Bert