Link to 3 piece custom travel cue thread

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
My three piece carbon fiber cue went thru security twice when I traveled to ORL for flight training. It’s gone thru about 10 times, once my bag was pulled out and I had to check it.
Yep

I had a Victorinox Classic SD on a keychain. Went through dozens of times since 9/11, until it didn't.

They know what it is, some agents are not as strict as others.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have one made by Sheldon Lebow.

I think Fred also has one.

Lou Figueroa
case by Chas Clements
Have you been able to bring it in a carryon bag? I was thinking about having one made to carry onboard without checking in a bag for work travel, but then realized it's still a cue no matter where it is stored.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have you been able to bring it in a carryon bag? I was thinking about having one made to carry onboard without checking in a bag for work travel, but then realized it's still a cue no matter where it is stored.

Nope.

Lou Figueroa

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
That was likely my thread to which you’re referring. Andy Gilbert made me (strictly) about a dozen 3-piece cues that you could travel with,
and I called them Traveler Cues. The name has stuck for 3-piece cues. They were perfect for the intended use (travel) and could be taken on planes, motorcycles, etc.
The cues are long forgotten. I might still have the first one that was made for me.

Will Prout
Hi, Will. The 3-piece cues have been called Travel Cues long before your project with Andy. As you would recall, you and Andy started your project after looking at my Sheldon Lebow 3-piece travel cue They (Gilbert Cues) have built other 3-piece travel cue since your initial project.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi, Will. The 3-piece cues have been called Travel Cues long before your project with Andy. As you would recall, you and Andy started your project after looking at my Sheldon Lebow 3-piece travel cue They (Gilbert Cues) have built other 3-piece travel cue since your initial project.

Who got their TC first — youze or me?

Lou Figueroa

billiardshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But then Dieckman have one he built in 2005... See posts #3 and #23

Travel Cue definition was probably used back in 1923 and on!!!

dated Jun 30, 2007Tom Huff (cuemaker and cartoonist) from Washington State. I have never heard anything bad about Tom Huff. He makes a lot of lower end conversion cues, etc, usually a little off the beaten path. I think his specialties are carom cues and 3 piece travelling cues.

Last edited:

maxeypad2007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you know it’s probevly easier just to buy a 32 inch suitcase they sell them on amazon and other sites. given you are checking it the size does not become an issue

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you know it’s probevly easier just to buy a 32 inch suitcase they sell them on amazon and other sites. given you are checking it the size does not become an issue
I don't check anything in 90% of the time, and just have a schoolbag with me with a few days of clothes. That's why I want a 3 piece cue, to put in my schoolbag. It saves a good hour and hassle waiting to get your luggage.

I went to Boston for work a week ago, and the "only" thing I checked in was my cue in its 1x1 case. Nothing else.

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
You are absolutely correct on the timing and the name of travel cue.
If you look a bit closer these were called by the moniker Traveler Cues.
I don’t think I ever said these were made before Sheldon made his, I sure didn’t mean to if I did anywhere.

But to be clear, I purchased a 3-piece Predator cue set from someone at a Shooters Olathe pool
tournament and showed Andy there. A couple of months later we saw you at the Derby, Andy had not made any yet but planned to. I sent the Predator cue to Andy to get better ideas. I certainly knew these in no way were a new idea. I still have the Predator cue, don’t know (or care) when they made their first one. I am sure the measurements and lengths of all of them are different.
A fun little project, I think Andy made about 10 Traveler Cues for me. They went quickly.
I hope all is going great for you!
Will

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I don't know about anyone else but I had mine made pre-9/11 and did carry it on several times.

But even so, it's nice being able to put it in a small bag.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are absolutely correct on the timing and the name of travel cue.
If you look a bit closer these were called by the moniker Traveler Cues.
I don’t think I ever said these were made before Sheldon made his, I sure didn’t mean to if I did anywhere.

But to be clear, I purchased a 3-piece Predator cue set from someone at a Shooters Olathe pool
tournament and showed Andy there. A couple of months later we saw you at the Derby, Andy had not made any yet but planned to. I sent the Predator cue to Andy to get better ideas. I certainly knew these in no way were a new idea. I still have the Predator cue, don’t know (or care) when they made their first one. I am sure the measurements and lengths of all of them are different.
A fun little project, I think Andy made about 10 Traveler Cues for me. They went quickly.
I hope all is going great for you!
Will

Hey, Will.

Just a bit more history: I think I got mine early 2003. I believe Sheldon said he made the first TC for a friend that want to be able to carry a cue on his motorcycle. I also recall meeting a guy at the DCC when it was at the EW and he also had a TC. He carried his in a very nice black, basket-weave Chas case.

Lou Figueroa

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
Hey, Will.

Just a bit more history: I think I got mine early 2003. I believe Sheldon said he made the first TC for a friend that want to be able to carry a cue on his motorcycle. I also recall meeting a guy at the DCC when it was at the EW and he also had a TC. He carried his in a very nice black, basket-weave Chas case.

Lou Figueroa
Thanks Lou,
Good to hear from you. Sounds like you had yours waaayy before most others even thought about it.
When I first saw the Predator set I was thinking it might even go diagonally in a briefcase. i had heard the motorcycle background too, probably from Freddie when we saw each other at Derby. I think Andy already knew he had a special cue from Sheldon.
Will

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Lou,
Good to hear from you. Sounds like you had yours waaayy before most others even thought about it.
When I first saw the Predator set I was thinking it might even go diagonally in a briefcase. i had heard the motorcycle background too, probably from Freddie when we saw each other at Derby. I think Andy already knew he had a special cue from Sheldon.
Will
40 years ago or so, I saw a guy in California that had a five piece cue. It fit in a 12” case

billiardshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here a 2008 post on 3piece cue