Long vs. short posts............

Do you read or skip over LONGG posts?

• Total voters

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I always read Hu's posts, great story teller and always is on about interesting stuff. Fwiw it also seems he has experience in almost everything under the sun, it makes me wonder sometimes if he is really about 150 years old. :):) At any rate it doesn't matter how long Hu's posts are, I will read them a long with others like Dr. Dave, SJM, Bob Jewett and a few more. On the other hand there are some who ramble on about nothing thinking they are the foremost expert and even arguing with known experts and I now know to stay away from their replies, long or short.

L.S. Dennis

Topic and grammar are essential. Some light hearted humor is appreciated as well, but no unnecessary vulgarity.
I remember seeing a roadside sign once that said, "those with most to say use fewest words" so yes length is important.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting.
I don't mind reading the longer posts.
Maybe I'm a rambler that doesn't get read. Hadn't considered that. Done.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I might read it if it's broken up into short paragraphs. I definitely won't if it's not, regardless of who the writer is. If they're not going to be considerate of the readers, then why should the readers be considerate of the writer?

Stephen King advised in his book, 'On Writing,' "Kill your babies." He says, all those treasured words that you feel you need to include to express your point --- kill them off. And then when you're done killing them, go back and read it again and kill some more.

Last edited:

GoldCrown

Pool players have more balls
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just curious how many AZ'rs read really long posts. I skip all the novella-length stuff. Fire away folks.
Questionable question. Yes and no.
Depends who the poster is and the subject. If technical yes I’ll read the whatever the post has to offer. Cue/table/ repair , equipment, etc.
Otherwise I don’t have a solid answer. I might start reading and see where it goes.

Pool Hand Luke

I'll almost always read what somebody has to say about what interests me, long or short.
I try to avoid posters who think they're enlightening everyone by cutting and pasting articles that fit their agenda day after day week after week.
However, there is one must see forum that makes use of the idea that a picture is worth a thousand words.
Thanks, j2pac

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Just curious how many AZ'rs read really long posts. I skip all the novella-length stuff. Fire away folks.
You're entitled to your opinion and how you react. If it's a hint that posts should be limited to xx number of words and paragraphs just because that's what "you" and some others prefer in a goofball "yes/no" survey so that each post can be
accepted or rejected for viewing based on word space, too bad.
Continue not to read it just as you supposedly don't read my posts because I'm on Ignore. LOL (don't prove me right):ROFLMAO:

Let's continue to have expanded Cancel Culture here. We already know how a certain popular and professional method of aiming pool balls and those who discuss it are handled.

The second amendment gets lambasted all the time and now it's the first amendment. Great!

On a side note, it's all about content and how it's said. If it's interesting, it doesn't matter. If it's not, skip it and move on. If it arouses emotions (as I purposely injected a little bit in this post) it could be good or not. All depends on interpretation and the person writing it or reading it. (dragging this out just to see)

Last edited:

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really miss Tramp Steamer, always entertaining. There's another fellow who is always "I'm the greatest pool shooter, gun shooter, bar fighter, blah, blah, blah. Quite full of himself, very tiring.

Then NPR, the world's foremost experts on everything, mostly liberal and long winded.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kinda surprised its this close. I've been on/off AZ for 16yrs and i think i've read MAYBE 3-4 long multi-paragraph(if you're lucky. most have no clue what punctuation means) posts. Thanks for the input.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I do miss Tramp Steamer. Those of us who have been around longer miss Smorgass Bored even more. I decided years ago this would remain my avatar as long as I am on AZB as a tribute to Smorg. I notice a few others kept their "spice and serve" badges too. Doug isn't forgotten.

Generally I give up on huge blocks of text. If it is of interest I hit reply just to have text editing ability and take a few seconds to chop it up into readable sized bites, not necessarily paragraphs. Then I will decide if I really want to reply. Aside from all of my other superhuman abilities I was a damned good editor and was paid for that for a few years!(grin)

Hu

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do miss Tramp Steamer. Those of us who have been around longer miss Smorgass Bored even more. I decided years ago this would remain my avatar as long as I am on AZB as a tribute to Smorg. I notice a few others kept their "spice and serve" badges too. Doug isn't forgotten.

Generally I give up on huge blocks of text. If it is of interest I hit reply just to have text editing ability and take a few seconds to chop it up into readable sized bites, not necessarily paragraphs. Then I will decide if I really want to reply. Aside from all of my other superhuman abilities I was a damned good editor and was paid for that for a few years!(grin)

Hu
you are one of those i stop to read always along with Jewett, Helfert, Stu. That's about it. All others i pass on like gas-station sushi. ;)

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I have no problem reading longer stuff, if it is well-written and has paragraphs.

I bail after a few sentences if it's poorly written or if it's from certain guys who are always just posting ca-ca. In the case of a few particular posters, I just scroll on by.

Lou Figueroa

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Topic and grammar are essential. Some light hearted humor is appreciated as well, but no unnecessary vulgarity.
I remember seeing a roadside sign once that said, "those with most to say use fewest words" so yes length is important.
Conagher.... saw that movie last month, Sam Elliott spoke less than Jose Wales.
His wife did the script, and every pivotal point in the movie seemingly had no more than 5 words in any response, he got his point across simply and ''to the point''.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
It depends on who leaves it. If someone respected it could be a great tidbit of info, if justdumb then it's like picking up a dog turd with your bare hands.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ll read a long post if it’s logically flowing with an interesting take on a topic. But if it is just a rant, I’m out. But I know I have a habit of writing long posts on occasion. I hope I’m more former than latter but I don’t expect a high read through rate.