Looking for lessons in New York

gehawe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lessons in New York - Updated by a review

On my next trip, I have a Weekend off in the New York City area. I am picking up a new cue and I am thinking on improving my game (and there is lots to improve). Is there any good instructer in the area that has an open Slot on October, 3rd for half a day?

Any recommendations, please?

Gerhard

For those of you that might consider the same: I have added a review at the second page

Last edited:

ronscuba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On my next trip, I have a Weekend off in the New York City area. I am picking up a new cue and I am thinking on improving my game (and there is lots to improve). Is there any good instructer in the area that has an open Slot on October, 3rd for half a day?

Any recommendations, please?

Gerhard

You have a lot of choices. I'm probably leaving out some good ones, but off the top of my head,

Fran Crimi
Tony Robles
Earl Strickland
Hunter Lombardo
Chris Lynch
Mike Yednak
Jon Smith

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm available Oct. 3rd. If you're interested, feel free to send me a PM.

Thanks, Ron Scuba, for including me in your recommendations. :smile:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
hunter lumbardo is one terrific teacher he is at amsterdams i think

gehawe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you for your input, folks! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
I will get in contact with the relevant people shortly (travelling at the moment).

Without intention to start another Earl Strickland pro/con thread: I will certainly not pay any money to meet this partucular gentleman. He is surely an excellent player and he might or might not be a good teacher. However, after watching the last Mosconi Cup, my decision is firm.

Thanks to all of you! :)

scottjen26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Would highly recommend Hunter, Tony, or Fran. Have only had 7 or 8 lessons in my life and 4 have been with Hunter! Have also had great conversations with Tony and Fran and wouldn't hesitate to work with either of them if they were close.
Scott

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
Thank you for your input, folks! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
I will get in contact with the relevant people shortly (travelling at the moment).

Without intention to start another Earl Strickland pro/con thread: I will certainly not pay any money to meet this partucular gentleman. He is surely an excellent player and he might or might not be a good teacher. However, after watching the last Mosconi Cup, my decision is firm.

Thanks to all of you! :)

I can understand that. However , players of ALL sorts are very different on and off the field. It's not his killer instinct your after. Good luck to you

rementis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have had an extended lesson from Earl Strickland, it was awesome and well worth the cost. He has a ton of knowledge and is eager to share it.

wahcheck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yep

I have had an extended lesson from Earl Strickland, it was awesome and well worth the cost. He has a ton of knowledge and is eager to share it.

I'm among those who really dislike his behavior and disposition in competition, but if I had the chance (I'm on the West Coast), I would surely pay Earl for lessons.

Yes, I do believe he's a different guy when not in competition.

croscoe

Retired
Silver Member
I recently spent a few hours with Earl of which the poor guy had to wait 2.5 hour due to my getting on the wrong subway and other issues. He was super about it. I tried taking him for $30 bucks after the lessons but he managed a lucky come from behind for the win...I can say I played the guy now...
I wish him the best ...we all have some issues...most just don't see their own.
Shane watch out your next if I get a chance.....................

14.1 Forever

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mark Finkelstein if you can get him!!!

I have studied under and worked with Mark on a number of occasions. He is on the "A" list. :thumbup:

gehawe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi guys,
After a superb weekend in NYC, I decided to write a short review for all of you that might consider a similar approach.

Lessons – Why?
First of all, let’s talk about the motivation to take lessons. Well - for me, it was the first time ever. I mean, we all play every now and then with better guys. And we ask them one thing or another. And if we are lucky, we also get an answer. Also, just watching good people play, even on video, helped me to play a bit better. But hey – pay money for lessons? Why? Why would a 52-year old fart now start to take a lesson?

Well, you see – The plan was to get a new cue and spend the weekend in NYC before going on with a business trip. So instead of spending a lot of money for shopping, I thought to give it a trial, not knowing at all what was going to come.

Selection
The next thing is what you already know – putting my question up at AZ. There came quite a few responses, by open answers and even more by PM. It soon boiled down to 3 preferences: Earl Strickland, Hunter Lombardo and Fran Crimi. As Hunter and Earl were out on a tournament (and Earl is just not my cup of tea), the appointment with Fran was fixed at Amsterdam’s for Saturday. Up to that time, I never heard of Fran Crimi (shame on me), so I did not know anything about that teacher.

First impressions
After finding a parking spot (for a person that lives in a village with 638 inhabitants, that’s one major task!), the first meeting with Fran was in front of Amsterdam’s. I was quite surprised – Fran was a lady!!! I mean, there’s nothing wrong with that, it just never crossed my mind that there are female pool teachers out there. And Fran is a certified Master Billiard Instructor.

Amsterdam’s itself is a very nice and very big billiard hall. Good tables, plenty of space and good service. And it was packed at Saturday before noon! … OK, they had a league game going on but anyway – good and busy place. They even had cue repair man available to touch up my tip that had slightly mushroomed.

Shooting!
We got a nice table at the back
The start was as expected: Shooting balls so Fran could see where I was. Quickly came then the first corrections on my stroke and stance: Bend lower, look differently at the balls. Then the stroke itself: longer aiming, less hasty backstroke, follow through. Then staying down longer after the shot …

After the pure mechanics came a bit tactics: Thinking the positions through, looking from a different angle …

From beginning onwards, it became clear that this was not just a good player explaining a few details; it was a professional instructor providing first class studies. With video-analysis (provided just with a small camera but very effective), feedback during play and demonstration a good and always patient and friendly procedure.

We covered much more, but hey – you must hear it from a good trainer, not just read it…

We then trained a bit on the break and jump shots. For me, that never got a ball intentionally in the air, this was a real big step forward. After 15min of training, the cue ball was flying and first hidden target balls were pocketed – just great!

Bonus
We were well under way, as another player walked by and told us that Thorsten Hohmann just entered the location. Fran, who seemed to know everybody in the place, quickly disappeared and reappeared together with the champ himself. So suddenly, a top ten billiard player that I knew just from videos and television, stood there at our table and was chatting with us casually. He was there for some training. He had a look at my new cue and showed us what to check out for in a cue. Great person, that guy!!!

Thorsten went to look for a table and Fran and me concluded by playing a few racks of nineball.

After the lessons, I went to the “Strip House”, that was recommended by Thorsten, and had one of the best steaks that I ever had in America.

Summary:
A very well spent day. I would do it again without thinking. I have the feeling that I know now, where to look to improve my game. And it was a lot of fun, too.

Thanks to all of you for providing recommendations and to all the people at Amsterdam’s.

Gerhard

Attachments

• Thorsten_14.jpg
    Thorsten_14.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 278
  • Fran_3.jpg
    Fran_3.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 354
Last edited:

Muziq

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gerhard,

Thanks for posting the review of your lesson with Fran. She and I have communicated via email, IM and phone. She's been very helpful and I look forward to having the opportunity to take a lesson with her when I get the time and money to return to NY. She's definitely on my top five list of instructors I'd like to receive instruction from as I progress in this game we love.

Also, congrats on getting to meet Thorsten! Regarding your dinner outing, it'll be very rare to not find quality food of your choice in NYC! That's always the least of my concerns when I'm there and I'm Vegan :)

-Muziq

Last edited: