Looking for Tim Scruggs Guru

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
What would you like to know? There are a few different eras with Tim.

1691903599818.jpeg

Mensabum

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
What would you like to know? There are a few different eras with Tim.

View attachment 713403
OMG I hate you!! 🤣🤣
I could stare at those beauties All day!!!
Oh man.
In my dreams I wish I could afford to replace my stolen Scruggs.
I never dreamed they would appreciate as much as they have, but that's what happens when you build excellence, I guess.
I'm not a collector, but if you run across an older everyday player that's straight and rolls true, I'd love to hear from you!! Knicks and scratches ok. I want one for the hit, not the looks.
Can't afford the looks!! Lol.😂
Thanks for posting those WildWing!!
Hey, any chance you have more pics?? I'd love to see more pics of the artwork dude!! Lol.😎😁
My phone is a POS Moto phone, so I can't see much from the pic you posted, even tho it made me drool!!😂
Thanks!!👍🏻

Mensabum

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
OMG I hate you!! 🤣🤣
Oh man.
I never dreamed they would appreciate as much as they have, but that's what happens when you build excellence, I guess.
I'm not a collector, but if you run across an older everyday player that's straight and rolls true, I'd love to hear from you!! Knicks and scratches ok. I want one for the hit, not the looks.
Hey, any chance you have more pics?? I'd love to see more pics of the artwork dude!! Lol.😎😁
My phone is a POS Moto phone, so I can't see much from the pic you posted, even tho it made me drool!!😂
Thanks!!👍🏻
Btw... Is the wrap on some of those that Cortland stuff??
My brother said mine had that. I always thot it as Irish linen. What's the difference between the two, do you know??
Mine was real smooth, I recall that much. Lol.
I wonder if there's a post about that somewhere?? The Diff??

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
OMG I hate you!! 🤣🤣
Oh man.
Thanks!!👍🏻
Asketh and ye shall receiveth. Here are a couple sets of the fancier Scruggs that I had put up about a decade ago. Enjoy!

Mensabum

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Asketh and ye shall receiveth. Here are a couple sets of the fancier Scruggs that I had put up about a decade ago. Enjoy!

Thankyouthankyouthankyou!!!!!! Got a chubby checking out those Axes!! Beautiful!!
I love those classic 4 point inlays they did in the 70s and 80s. Nothing nicer imo.
Anything else is just gaudy.
Now I'm gonna be in withdrawal all night!! Lol. Got a big blast, then nothing. Uh oh. 🤣🤣
Thanks WildWing!!!
You can send me pics of Scruggs ANYTIME!!!
Hope I can return the favor sometime.
Gotta admit, there's a part of me that cries every time I see one of these since mine got snatched.
Don't stop tho.😂

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Btw... Is the wrap on some of those that Cortland stuff??
My brother said mine had that. I always thot it as Irish linen. What's the difference between the two, do you know??
Mine was real smooth, I recall that much. Lol.
I wonder if there's a post about that somewhere?? The Diff??
Yes, some of the cues pictured have Cortland wrap. Some have Blue Mountain, which in their good days, produced linen about equal to Cortland. Nice look, light green strand, and very smooth feel that wore in nicely. Unfortunately, Blue Mountain burned down, and Cortland stopped producing linen in the 70s. Now, linen comes from China, though I understand there may be attempts to make better linen. If so, I haven't seen any that are better than Cortland or Blue Mountain.

Mensabum

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Yes, some of the cues pictured have Cortland wrap. Some have Blue Mountain, which in their good days, produced linen about equal to Cortland. Nice look, light green strand, and very smooth feel that wore in nicely. Unfortunately, Blue Mountain burned down, and Cortland stopped producing linen in the 70s. Now, linen comes from China, though I understand there may be attempts to make better linen. If so, I haven't seen any that are better than Cortland or Blue Mountain.
I had never really looked into that. I didn't know Cortland was linen, so to speak, but just another brand of linen!?!
Figures that Scruggs and co would seek out the best product they could find!!! It had a totally different feel in the hand and imo, held up better than other linens from that time period. Cut no corners, take no prisoners, kinda thing. That's Scruggs!!! Thanks for the info!!!
Like I said, I'm all ears.
And don't forget eyes!! Hint hint.😁 😂

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
I had never really looked into that. I didn't know Cortland was linen, so to speak, but just another brand of linen!?!
Figures that Scruggs and co would seek out the best product they could find!!! It had a totally different feel in the hand and imo, held up better than other linens from that time period. Cut no corners, take no prisoners, kinda thing. That's Scruggs!!! Thanks for the info!!!
Like I said, I'm all ears.
And don't forget eyes!! Hint hint.😁 😂
Cortland was just one brand of linen, of several. With Cortland, it was fishing line, but cuemakers took to it. When Dacron became more popular with fisherman, the market died out for Cortland as there wasn't enough business in cuemaking for them to keep making linen. Fast forward to something like the 1980s, Blue Mountain came into being, and I believe it's fair to say most of their business catered to cuemakers, as fishermen had gone to Dacron. Believe they were based in North Carolina, and sadly the factory burned down. There was also a brand called Penn, that the late Bill Stroud claimed to have had a hand in the development. The lucky cuemakers were the ones that had a good stock of Cortland and Blue Mountain. The current stuff that comes from China, I'm not even sure what the factory is or where it's located. There may be other makers for all I know, but the best is usually regarded as Cortland, Blue Mountain, and Penn.

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have a large new old stock spool of Cortland Dacron white with green spec stored somewhere. I heard Ray Martin preferred it.

Mensabum

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Cortland was just one brand of linen, of several. With Cortland, it was fishing line, but cuemakers took to it. When Dacron became more popular with fisherman, the market died out for Cortland as there wasn't enough business in cuemaking for them to keep making linen. Fast forward to something like the 1980s, Blue Mountain came into being, and I believe it's fair to say most of their business catered to cuemakers, as fishermen had gone to Dacron. Believe they were based in North Carolina, and sadly the factory burned down. There was also a brand called Penn, that the late Bill Stroud claimed to have had a hand in the development. The lucky cuemakers were the ones that had a good stock of Cortland and Blue Mountain. The current stuff that comes from China, I'm not even sure what the factory is or where it's located. There may be other makers for all I know, but the best is usually regarded as Cortland, Blue Mountain, and Penn.
Holy shit I'm embarrassed. And I call myself a Fisherman!! lol.
Being from Missouri, We don't get much call for braided lines like that, except for Spoonbill grabbin' in spring on the big lakes here. I never put 2 and 2 together!!! Cortland, Penn, etc... All big names in sportfishing the world over!!
Those guys all lived in areas where ocean fishing was the norm and it required those heavy lines. It never occurred to me that Scruggs used something from another hobby dear to me that crossed over into my favorite hobby, this game. Whatsit called?!? Pool?? Lol😂
Wow. Learn something new everyday.
Hey... I'm not the sharpest pencil in the box, ok?? Lol.
More like the dirty little crayon stump rolling around in the bottom.👍🏻🤣🤣

Mensabum

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Holy shit I'm embarrassed. And I call myself a Fisherman!! lol.
Being from Missouri, We don't get much call for braided lines like that, except for Spoonbill grabbin' in spring on the big lakes here. I never put 2 and 2 together!!! Cortland, Penn, etc... All big names in sportfishing the world over!!
Those guys all lived in areas where ocean fishing was the norm and it required those heavy lines. It never occurred to me that Scruggs used something from another hobby dear to me that crossed over into my favorite hobby, this game. Whatsit called?!? Pool?? Lol😂
Wow. Learn something new everyday.
Hey... I'm not the sharpest pencil in the box, ok?? Lol.
More like the dirty little crayon stump rolling around in the bottom.👍🏻🤣🤣
Oops. Forgot to include fly fishing in there. Better add that B4 I get hate mail. Lol.
Thanks for the info and helping me tie all that together. Just when I thot I had explored almost every facet of this game, something new pops up. U Gotta Luv It!!!😎

Reactions: bbb

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
I have a large new old stock spool of Cortland Dacron white with green spec stored somewhere. I heard Ray Martin preferred it.
Not quite. Ray liked black nylon, braided with three strands. His Bushka and Szambotis were done that way. Seems Ray liked the feel of that.