losing face... important to top players

Shortside K

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Around here it is rare that the "top players" ever compete with each other in serious sessions.

They may occassionally play one or two "cheap sets" with each other, but normally prefer to beat up on the regular journeyman players. I know that this makes perfect sense from a $ perspective, but it seems that they rarely try to challenge themselves or push their games up another notch.
While some of the top players are grinding it out for every $ they can win, many around here are well heeled and the money won or lost during sessions means very little to them.

I think that they are afraid to compete seriously with each other because they may lose face or feel the other player may have a mental edge when they have future meetings (especially big tournaments).

I really enjoy the dynamics of "top players" competing and understand that a single session doesn't really mean anything with regards to who the overall better player is. Its very interesting to watch these top players showing "fear" in their play... many times playing well below their normal speed due to the "fear of failure" that hits them when strongly challenged.

I'm interested to find out if top level players avoiding each other is universal.

StormHotRod300

BigSexy
Silver Member
I'm not sure where you came up with this, but I'd say its completely the opposite. Most of the top players that " I " know, dont fear playing another top player for money. And they like to play the big money sets because then it's atleast worth thier time.

Not saying they wont play "cheap set's" but more than not, I'm sure they'd rather play some 500/1000$ set's with a top player than 20$ sets with a banger.

As for avoiding each other, if you search AZB, you'll find plenty of threads about top pro's matching up.

Shortside K

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
StormHotRod300 said:
I'm not sure where you came up with this, but I'd say its completely the opposite. Most of the top players that " I " know, dont fear playing another top player for money. And they like to play the big money sets because then it's atleast worth thier time.

Not saying they wont play "cheap set's" but more than not, I'm sure they'd rather play some 500/1000$ set's with a top player than 20$ sets with a banger.

As for avoiding each other, if you search AZB, you'll find plenty of threads about top pro's matching up.

I completely agree with your views. However, my reference was about the "top players" in my region. That's why I am puzzled that the top players around here seem to avoid each other. It is extremely rare that anyone plays for more than around $100 sets around here.

Also, there are NO "top pro's" in my area. The few that come around to complete in the bigger tournaments usually have a hard time matching up with the locals. That's not to say that the locals don't play well enough... its just that they don't have the experience of playing high... although playing high is a huge part of having enough game.

tpdtom

Really Old School
Silver Member
Shortside K said:
I completely agree with your views. However, my reference was about the "top players" in my region. That's why I am puzzled that the top players around here seem to avoid each other. It is extremely rare that anyone plays for more than around $100 sets around here.

Also, there are NO "top pro's" in my area. The few that come around to complete in the bigger tournaments usually have a hard time matching up with the locals. That's not to say that the locals don't play well enough... its just that they don't have the experience of playing high... although playing high is a huge part of having enough game.

Probably because you hail from Crater Tycho:rolleyes: ...Tom

StormHotRod300

BigSexy
Silver Member
Ok, i got ya know lol.

It's probably one of those situations where, the top players, in your area, are all about equal, and it's pointless to gamble, cuz your just going back n forth with the money.

Hence why they pick on the smaller fishes. And when the Big shooter's come in, they either know they are out gunned and dont want to loose thier money, or they figure they have no chance when playing them, even with a spot, or they get so intimidated, that the shooter, just doesnt even want to try to play.

Really the only way your area's top players are going to get better is by playing better player's.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Shortside K said:
Around here it is rare that the "top players" ever compete with each other in serious sessions.

They may occassionally play one or two "cheap sets" with each other, but normally prefer to beat up on the regular journeyman players. I know that this makes perfect sense from a $ perspective, but it seems that they rarely try to challenge themselves or push their games up another notch.
While some of the top players are grinding it out for every $ they can win, many around here are well heeled and the money won or lost during sessions means very little to them.

I think that they are afraid to compete seriously with each other because they may lose face or feel the other player may have a mental edge when they have future meetings (especially big tournaments).

I really enjoy the dynamics of "top players" competing and understand that a single session doesn't really mean anything with regards to who the overall better player is. Its very interesting to watch these top players showing "fear" in their play... many times playing well below their normal speed due to the "fear of failure" that hits them when strongly challenged.

I'm interested to find out if top level players avoiding each other is universal.

Yep, pretty much. Usually there is plenty of history between them you may not be aware of.

Chris