Making leather tips

ehn9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I need help anybody know how they make the leather for the single layer tips like elkmaster or triumph what type of leather and glue mixed together. Any information would be helpful thanks.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I need help anybody know how they make the leather for the single layer tips like elkmaster or triumph what type of leather and glue mixed together. Any information would be helpful thanks.
Most single-layer tips are vegetable-tanned cowhide. After tanning they are cut and pressed. No glue in single layer tips afaik.

ehn9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pretty certain elkmaster is made by grinding up leather mixing with something then molding back together just not sure if mixture and can't find anything on the internet

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Get a copy of my tip article from 2004 InsidePOOL Magazine.

Type of leather for most single layer tips: water buffalo

Elk Master: chrome tanned leather
LePro: oak-tanned leather

Why do you need help, and what could you possibly do with this information? You’re certainly not going to be making single layered tips any time soon.

Freddie <~~~ and no, Elk Masters are not ground up anything

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Get a copy of my tip article from 2004 InsidePOOL Magazine.

Type of leather for most single layer tips: water buffalo

Elk Master: chrome tanned leather

LePro: oak-tanned leather

Why do you need help, and what could you possibly do with this information? You’re certainly not going to be making single layered tips any time soon.

Freddie <~~~ and no, Elk Masters are not ground up anything

Yep but the lepro is a composite leather

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
Yep but the lepro is a composite leather

As I understand it, they're made of water buffalo just like Triangles, Elks, Triumphs, WB's, etc. It's not a composite. The hardness is dictated by tanning process, and color is a byproduct of the specific tanning process.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure what you’re saying here. LePro is oak-tanned and pressed water buffalo hide.
Freddie is dead-on here. None of the Tweeten tips are chopped leather/composite. Vegetable tanning(oak is in this category) yields a harder/stiffer leather whereas chrome tanning gives a much softer, pliable leather.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
But they are processed through a ground up mixture after tanned and pressed though. There’s the confusion point for the person.

The Elk Masters are tumbled in something similar to a rock polisher process. The abrasive material in the tumbler is to clean up the fuzzy edges that happen due to the chrome tanning process. Blue Masters Chalk is used, so this would be the ground up mixture you’re talking about.

A lot of people think that Elk Masters are impregnated with Masters Chalk. They’re covered with Masters Blue due to the tumbling, but they’re not impregnated. The blue coloring of the tip throughout is due to the blue chromium tanning process.

Freddie

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
As I understand it, they're made of water buffalo just like Triangles, Elks, Triumphs, WB's, etc. It's not a composite. The hardness is dictated by tanning process, and color is a byproduct of the specific tanning process.

Possibly I’m just going off what I’ve always been told as I’ve never seen the production data, I know it def seems like some of the composite leathers I have seen in the past. Triangles I was always told were from Elk/deer.

Ive always thought of it in passing and it makes more sense they are all made of same thing treated diff than diff source material.

This is a pretty cool page I’ve had linked for a while on leather working in general

http://www.personal.utulsa.edu/~marc-carlson/leather/hl.html

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
The Elk Masters are tumbled in something similar to a rock polisher process. The abrasive material in the tumbler is to clean up the fuzzy edges that happen due to the chrome tanning process. Blue Masters Chalk is used, so this would be the ground up mixture you’re talking about.

A lot of people think that Elk Masters are impregnated with Masters Chalk. They’re covered with Masters Blue due to the tumbling, but they’re not impregnated. The blue coloring of the tip throughout is due to the blue chromium tanning process.

Freddie

I’ll bring up an odd tidbit about chromed leather. Some people really bad to touching or being around that, there was a show not long ago a woman bought a new pair of sandals and WOW her feet swole up like you couldn’t imagine, blisters and crazy stuff. It was the chromed leather, not that we actually handle tips in similar fashion but if something freakish ever happens to your hands that could be a possibility

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ll bring up an odd tidbit about chromed leather. Some people really bad to touching or being around that, there was a show not long ago a woman bought a new pair of sandals and WOW her feet swole up like you couldn’t imagine, blisters and crazy stuff. It was the chromed leather, not that we actually handle tips in similar fashion but if something freakish ever happens to your hands that could be a possibility

Poolplayers can ALWAYS use another excuse. "Dang chrome-tan on this darn tip made my finger swell up and i jawed the cheese".:thumbup:

ehn9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thing is if it's not ground up and molded how do they get the leather thick enough for a tip most leather other than sole bend is thin

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Thing is if it's not ground up and molded how do they get the leather thick enough for a tip most leather other than sole bend is thin

Same like I had heard the older tri 15mm were from thicker cuts of hide....who knows lol

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
how do you have a composite leather? cross a Deer with an Elk? Delk? :)

Glue wether natural manmade.

Same as they do basically with reconstituted stones such as turquoise or how McDermott used a lot of recon ivory, ivory dust and glue