Mark Tadd or Jack Hynes....Who was better??

sicbinature

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
kilojo420 said:
I have a couple of close friends that are friends with Robert and they were there when he played Jack Hynes. Ive heard this story a few times and although the details sometimes change, the fact still remains that Jack ran out like tap water.

Roberts response-"What did I do wrong? Nothing!"

I ask Robert why he quit. I said that is a pretty big spot, its not like you didnt have a chance. He said that when you only shoot once in two sets, you dont stick around to see what might happen.

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rafael is an excellent 1-pocket player! I think he took both end of the Sacto Hardtimes Jamboree a few years ago, not an easy task.

Martin

CrownCityCorey said:
I have always been a Mark fan since way back when (early 90's). I even watched him beat Keith a 7 ahead set of 9-Ball for 2 dimes in under 45 minutes. Hell, he used to rob me with the 5,7 playing 9-ball when I was 18 (I played ok as a teen).

Mark did have great talent, however Mark did not prove the staying power to be touted as the greatest talent (or player) IMO. Rafael Martinez (though not a one-pocket player that I know of), played just as good if not better.

Jimmy M.

Insomniac
Silver Member
I knew Jack when I was a kid living in Lansing (Jack was living there at the time), and I got to be pretty good friends with Mark. Like Jay said, Mark was a freak when it came to pool - and I mean that in a very good way. He didn't need the mixture to be right to play top notch, unlike the player we're comparing him against. When Mark was at the top of his game, and I know this is a cliche that is used all too often, BUT, no one had to like it playing 9-ball, and very few people had to like it playing anything else. If an in-stroke Jack would have met up with an in-stroke Mark, I think the in-stroke Jack's stakehorse would have been broke when the smoke cleared.

JDB

Idiot Savant
Silver Member
Jimmy M. said:
If an in-stroke Jack would have met up with an in-stroke Mark, I think the in-stroke Jack's stakehorse would have been broke when the smoke cleared.
LMAO...I guess I don't have to start a thread about who had the most integrity between the two...lol.

Here's my take ..

I've seen Jack Hynes give champions the 7 ball and torture them ..It just did'nt matter ..When his "mixture" was right,and he was in stroke ..He would play like he was in a trance ..run-out,run-out,run-out,run-out,run-out ..He was probably the biggest wasted talent that pool has ever seen ..He makes you sick ..Once he gave me the 5 out and BBQ'D me! ..I've beat Dave Grossman with the 7 and the last two(give you an idea of how I play) ..I beat shrimpboat also(with a similar spot)I'm a shortstop,but Jack made me look like I have never picked up a cue before in my life ..All he did was run out on my azz ..

As for as Mark goes ..I was there when he was snuck in Racketeers ..No one really knew who he was ..He beat Mark Cavalier ..He tried to sneak up on eddie but eddie knew better ..

One thing I remember about Tadd after watching him play is that he banked awfully good! Those skinny one railers might as well been hangers in the jaws ..and he fired them in with authority..BAMM!!.

He is definetly the best black player I've ever seen ..Although,you could make somewhat of a case for Gabby in 9ball IMO.

Jimmy M.

Insomniac
Silver Member
JDB said:
LMAO...I guess I don't have to start a thread about who had the most integrity between the two...lol.

I didn't actually mean it that way but, now that you mention it, that would have been a very distinct possibility! :)

In all honesty though, I'm not sure if Mark would have been a part of it. Mark seemed like he legitimately wanted to play (and beat) everyone. I'm not sure if he would have been on the catching end of any business for that reason alone. Maybe Mark will read this thread and chime in.