Masse Cue

mr_griff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Masse shot in league play

I happen to think they are a useful play in league play every once in a while, particularly with 8 ball. I would tend to agree that it is usually a low percentage play, and would go as far as to say its almost always a bad play in 9 ball. I play a couple of masse shots in a 15-20 week season and a little more in a semi casual game at a bar or whatever. As pointed out above they don't lend themselves to position play, but if you get stuck trying to run out and you only have the 8 or maybe one other ball on the table, the best play is to go offensive. Kick safes when the other guy has a table full of balls and you only have one ball you can hit, are lower percentage than trying to make the ball.

Now all of that said, most of the masse shots that you have a fair chance at making don't require a masse cue and are more of the gentle curve variety.

Oh and sorry I have no idea whether the tips are hard or soft. 20 posts into the thread and you haven't got the answer to your question. Like you Id guess a softer tip would be the play.

Last edited:

billiardshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh and sorry I have no idea whether the tips are hard or soft. 20 posts into the thread and you haven't got the answer to your question. Like you Id guess a softer tip would be the play.

The Answer to tip Hardness or softness!!! Is What you preferred in tip and the type of Masse shots. Some will say soft, some will say med., some will say hard. Some will use 13mm, most will use 14mm, and a few 15mm. The largest tip size I got from Mexico, 16mm Med.,

beleary

"No Masse!"
Wow! This turned into something I never thought it would be.
Like most people I have never short with or seen a masse cue.
So I was curious.
As far as I know (which means not much), a masse is any short where you bend the cue ball off of the straight line. I guess I was looking see why the big tips on these and are these tips soft or hard?
I would have thought these would have been soft so you could control it more. It however looks like these are harder? Really I am not looking to get into trick shot billiards. I just was looking for a tool to put in the box ;)
Sometimes jumping and kicking is not the answer. So that is where a masse cue might come in handy.
Swerve, curve, bend, turn. To me these terms are just various ways of describing masse. I would pose the question then: At what angle does a swerve shot become a masse shot? 45 degrees? 80 degrees? or only at 90 degrees? And as for the cue, again save your money and buy a jump cue instead for jump shots. I'm fairly competent at shooting masse and can turn a ball at 90 degrees holding the cue in a floating position above the cue ball using my regular 19 oz player. The trick is knowing how to shoot it.

JamisonNeu

Mr. Masse
Silver Member
Swerve, curve, bend, turn. To me these terms are just various ways of describing masse. I would pose the question then: At what angle does a swerve shot become a masse shot? 45 degrees? 80 degrees? or only at 90 degrees? And as for the cue, again save your money and buy a jump cue instead for jump shots. I'm fairly competent at shooting masse and can turn a ball at 90 degrees holding the cue in a floating position above the cue ball using my regular 19 oz player. The trick is knowing how to shoot it.

I agree with this. Although at some point it becomes cost effective to get a masse cue. What I mean is if you are trying to master masse shots a special cue is a good investment. Shooting shots in games are normaly not going to damage a cue...Shooting the first shot in this video will damage your cue, unless you have proper equipment...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40kAGv8HEAE thanks for watching please leave a comment..

I don't think I ever broke out a masse cue for a game shot in my life. I will shoot on average 2 masse shots a day when playing pool unless I am playing a defence style player then I shoot them if I think it is a better shot...Sometimes masse shots have no choice but to be a helpful shot.

Most times masse is a foolish idea...But I have to say out of all the things I have ever learned it is still the best feeling when I make a random masse shot in a game.