Matchroom 2024 UK Open Nineball (7-12 May2024), Prize Fund $200K

SA96

Surprised to see Niels Feijen crash out.

He was complaining on Facebook that the pockets have become too tight.

Does he have a point? Lots of players are not going for bank shots.

Billy Thorpe is the best banker in Pool and even he was reluctant on some occasions.

Reactions: JAM

Scrunge19

Registered
There’s definitely a tipping point with efforts to make the game more challenging, competitive, etc. At a certain point you just have to realize that these guys are really really good and accept that they can make the game look routine, even on difficult equipment. No amount of Mickey mousing the tables or requiring that players alternate which side of the table to break from is going to change that.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Brackets for LAST 64 Single Elimination (starts tomorrow 10 May)
Lots of heavy hitters many big names getting relatively "easier" opponents . Though the really big pow wow matches will start from last 32. 😄
se11.PNG

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for that info. It should be noted, too, that Billy is abstaining from alcohol, which can affect one's game. Keith McCready was always the lone soldier to have a brown bottle by his designated table at pool tournaments, while all others were drinking water. Of course, in today's pool world, that would never fly, thank goodness.

One year, Keith promised me that if we went to the U.S. Open, he would not drink. The year he came in third place, I believe if he had not been drinking the night before until the wee hours that he would have had a chance to win the next day. But it wasn't in the stars that year. Third place is nice, but nobody remembers who came in second or third, as we all know.

Jimmy Reid was a good buddy of Keith's, and at every Open, we'd hang out with Jimmy. He was like a mentor to Keith, giving him tips. Keith's first match, he was struggling. Jimmy and I were sweating it on the rail. Jimmy told him he needs to pause and address the table before he shoots. Keith is a rhythm shooter and does go too fast sometimes. Plus, he wasn't drinking beer, which added to his struggle.

Jimmy brought Keith a Coke to his designated chair during the match, and I had thought he was giving him some words of encouragement. Shortly after that Coke, Keith started picking up speed and running racks, bouncing around the table. I was excited to see him win the match. We were walking outside to smoke a cigarette, and Keith thanked Jimmy for the Coke. Jimmy winked back at him. It was right then and there I knew something was up, and sure enough, Jimmy spiked that Coke with liquor. I know he was just trying to help Keith get through the match, but man, you could have fried an egg on my head at that moment.

I share the story to illustrate that it can be challenging to shoot your game when in abstinence mode. We miss Jimmy Reid. He was a lot of fun. I think this photo was taken after that match too, if memory serves me right.

View attachment 757473
It actually took a tremendous amount of courage for Keith to even attempt to play sober, even if he didn't get all the way there. I know amateurs that can't play in a rinky-dink local tourney without having a few drinks first. So trying to play in the US Open after years of playing a certain way had to be a tough mountain to climb.

decent dennis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Brackets for LAST 64 Single Elimination (starts tomorrow 10 May)
Lots of heavy hitters many big names getting relatively "easier" opponents . Though the really big pow wow matches will start from last 32. 😄
View attachment 757484
So if i'm reading this right, if Billy and Skyler win there matches they will play each other. Very interesting.

DaWizard

Surprised to see Niels Feijen crash out.

He was complaining on Facebook that the pockets have become too tight.

Does he have a point? Lots of players are not going for bank shots.

Billy Thorpe is the best banker in Pool and even he was reluctant on some occasions.
He also seems to be on a out of form streak. Most Dutch players are out. Only Jan van Lierop and Yannick Pongers, I believe. But they will soon drop.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
who is paul song? never heard the name before. i think they said hes from alabama. wonder if that's his true fargo

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oscar's hot streak continues, go Oscar! Fedor seems to be struggling. Who the heck is Paul Song, going toe to toe with Filler?

View attachment 757575

i wondered the same thing. jeremy said in commentary that he's a player that took a hiatus for health reasons. i think he said something about 15 years ago so whoever he is, he's no spring chicken.

oscar is in dead punch

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A shock to me is that Shaw is out. Rooting on my McDermott teammate Jonas Souto who is in the final 32. Good showing after winning the Mexico Open.