Matchroom 2024 UK Open Nineball (7-12 May2024), Prize Fund $200K

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not a bad showing from the Americans as a whole. Seems Oscar is playing at a high level right now, and even Thorpe looked like he belonged for the most part.

Same old sky and tyler...knocking on the door, but just can't seem to take the next step.

SVB looked shaky at times, and his body language still sucks when he gets behind...kaci's break is something to behold when it is working.

Fedor likely disappointed with his finish...

I don't know if this is a stat, maybe @AtLarge would know, but I wonder who has the best average finish over the past 10 or so majors. Seems like one of the polish players is near the end every tourney...

Might get flamed, but as a group, I thkught the Amerjcans played at the same level as the pinoys...

Scrunge19

Registered
Same old sky and tyler...knocking on the door, but just can't seem to take the next step.
Tyler’s mental game and his propensity to miss balls out of nowhere is what is holding him back.

Sky doesn’t give the impression that pool is really his top focus anymore. I think he’s content to just make a living as a player and go back home to his family. Which is totally fine if that’s what he wants.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unbelievable. None of the favorites made it to the semifinals.
First time in a major that all 4 semifinalists are "underdogs". First time there are no Fargorate 800s/no Matchroom Top 20 ranking players in semifinals. Irony is this major event that has the strongest field of top players (20 players in Matchroom Top 20 ranking, around 30x800s Fargorate) ends up with no top player in last 4.
Hands down, this event has "most upsets" ever. 🤣:ROFLMAO:

last4.PNG

laughing-hahaha.gif

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
First time in a major that all 4 semifinalists are "underdogs". First time there are no Fargorate 800s/no Matchroom Top 20 ranking players in semifinals. Irony is this major event that has the strongest field of top players (20 players in Matchroom Top 20 ranking, around 30x800s Fargorate) ends up with no top player in last 4.
Hands down, this event has "most upsets" ever. 🤣:ROFLMAO:

View attachment 757833

laughing-hahaha.gif

Perhaps an impact of the smaller pockets let to more random results? They didn’t happen in the earlier stages based on the Fargo rate data.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Pijus Labutis is no underdog. As we know, Derby City 9ball doesn't report scores, so those results are not reflected in Fargo rating, which is the only reason his Fargo is not over 800. Labutis beat all comers and I think he won 12 consecutive 9ball matches before falling one rack short of beating Filler in the final. A bronze medal at the Spanish Open, a silver medal at the Derby City 9ball, and a silver medal at the Super Billiards Expo evidence that Pijus must be counted as one of pool's most elite players. I am not surprised in the least by the fine form he has shown this week.

Tomorrow should be fun. All four semifinalists have a realistic shot at their first Matchroom major. Wish them all the best of luck.

Last edited:

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Petri´s game is second to none. I admit he has underperformed on international fields but i know how strong he is. I lost so many matches and finals to him.
He had 2 year period where we played 6 matches and he shoot TPA 1.000 every time. including two 14.1 matches where he ran out 75 and out from start and 86 to 100 points + safe and then out(same tourney i meet him twice).
When i finally cut that streak i beat him on race to 10, 9-ball and he ran out 7 racks :D. I played pretty good myself too but i was so zoned in i can´t tell how many i ran out. I won every safety battle and kicked in few balls :)

I really, really hope he will play his game until the end and get some sponsorships in because that what keeps him down.

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hands down, this event has "most upsets" ever. :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 757833

laughing-hahaha.gif

They finally made the pockets so difficult, it’s all about luck again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Haha
Reactions: sjm

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
They finally made the pockets so difficult, it’s all about luck again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
An amusing comment, but ultimately in error.

Still, you are onto something. Absurdly tight pockets have changed the formula for winning and made the straightest shooters a little more vulnerable. Pattern play, defense, kicking and jumping are all amplified in importance as the runout chances have to be earned more than ever before.

Like so many, I find the play a little less exciting to watch when the equipment is this tight, but I trust Matchroom to manage their pro pool offering in any way they feel will grow the game.

I think the top few in the WNT rankings are still the favorites at the majors, but the road to victory in a major is now harder. To win a major, you must win your last seven matches (the one you won to qualify and the six you need in single elimination). Nobody is really stringing many racks at the UK Open, so power players can't win with their usual formula.

Despite the fact that the formula for success has changed a little, those who win are very deserving of the highest praise for their excellence. No, it is not luck, LOL.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Pattern play, defense, kicking and jumping are all amplified in importance as the runout chances have to be earned more than ever before.
... Despite the fact that the formula for success has changed a little, those who win are very deserving of the highest praise for their excellence. No, it is not luck, LOL.
It will be interesting to see AtLarge's stats. I think the results so far are an aberration, just as the finalists for the just-completed snooker championships were with none of the four favored players of each bracket through to the finals. The next large major is the World Championship. Will the normal pecking order be restored?

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Petri´s game is second to none. I admit he has underperformed on international fields but i know how strong he is. I lost so many matches and finals to him.
He had 2 year period where we played 6 matches and he shoot TPA 1.000 every time. including two 14.1 matches where he ran out 75 and out from start and 86 to 100 points + safe and then out(same tourney i meet him twice).
When i finally cut that streak i beat him on race to 10, 9-ball and he ran out 7 racks :D. I played pretty good myself too but i was so zoned in i can´t tell how many i ran out. I won every safety battle and kicked in few balls :)

I really, really hope he will play his game until the end and get some sponsorships in because that what keeps him down.
When he was partnered with Mika in past MR events a decade ago, I really thought he was the stronger of the two while watching them. This was of course before fargo came out...

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
It will be interesting to see AtLarge's stats. I think the results so far are an aberration, just as the finalists for the just-completed snooker championships were with none of the four favored players of each bracket through to the finals. The next large major is the World Championship. Will the normal pecking order be restored?
I think normalcy will return. if MR states 3.9 is the new the new standard then the top players will get their practice tables updated and adjust. In both this and the world snooker championship we had some randomness due to unfamiliarity, but in the long run we may even see more consistent results among the top players.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It will be interesting to see AtLarge's stats. I think the results so far are an aberration

that's what i think as well. tighter pockets would in theory favor defensive players, good movers. none of these semifinalists are known for that, they are all quite aggressive.

and there are a bunch of players that skill wise belong in the top echelon but is being held back by the mental side of the game. could definitely be argued fortunski is one of them. the biggest surprise for me is capito

Monti

If capito wasn’t playing so well then you would have a fedor Josh quarter which would have put the results closer to normal. I don’t think there is any worry here

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
bad start for petri. won lag, scratched on the break. got opportunity in rack 1 and 3 but overran position both times. miezsko has been pretty much acing it, including an alcaide-esque straight back bank on petris safe. 5-0