Mcdermott D series?

Zkid09

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wasn't sure where to post this so i apologize if it is the wrong section! I didn't think ask the cue maker would get the most opinions here.

I'm a young gun, only 21, without a whole lot of experience as far as cues go. I started playing at an early age but got out of it. Got serious about playing last year and had some medical issues that made me quit playing. I picked up my sticks again a week or so ago and started shooting.
I have grown up playing with my father's and grandfather's mcdermotts. I have a d12 that was/is my dad's that I took over. It is my pride and joy as far as cues go. I also have a d8 that was my grandfather's cue. It doesn't roll perfect but it isn't noticeable when shooting.
Both have Ivory joints. The d12 has an 11.82 mm tip and the d8 has an 11.54 mm tip.. also have a meucci sneaky that's wood joints with a 12.78 mm tip and red dot shaft and lastly a Jacoby with resin joints and a 12.98 mm tip.

I absolutely love the older D series cues but I haven't found another cue that shoots like they do. I like my Jacoby, but it just isn't what I'm looking for. I can't even put a finger on what it is that I don't like about it. And I don't like the meucci at all. I think it's mainly the shaft but we just don't click lol

I thought about sending in one of the mcdermotts to get redone, but there's a lot of memories and stories from them. My grandfather is no longer here and those two were my dad's and his when they shot together.

That was a long rant, but what cues/makers should I look for that'll play similar to the older mcdermotts?

I'm a very quiet person and without knowing many people around my area, I'm very cautious approaching people or asking other players to feel their stick but hopefully you guys can lead me in the right direction!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wasn't sure where to post this so i apologize if it is the wrong section! I didn't think ask the cue maker would get the most opinions here.

I'm a young gun, only 21, without a whole lot of experience as far as cues go. I started playing at an early age but got out of it. Got serious about playing last year and had some medical issues that made me quit playing. I picked up my sticks again a week or so ago and started shooting.
I have grown up playing with my father's and grandfather's mcdermotts. I have a d12 that was/is my dad's that I took over. It is my pride and joy as far as cues go. I also have a d8 that was my grandfather's cue. It doesn't roll perfect but it isn't noticeable when shooting.
Both have Ivory joints. The d12 has an 11.82 mm tip and the d8 has an 11.54 mm tip.. also have a meucci sneaky that's wood joints with a 12.78 mm tip and red dot shaft and lastly a Jacoby with resin joints and a 12.98 mm tip.

I absolutely love the older D series cues but I haven't found another cue that shoots like they do. I like my Jacoby, but it just isn't what I'm looking for. I can't even put a finger on what it is that I don't like about it. And I don't like the meucci at all. I think it's mainly the shaft but we just don't click lol

I thought about sending in one of the mcdermotts to get redone, but there's a lot of memories and stories from them. My grandfather is no longer here and those two were my dad's and his when they shot together.

That was a long rant, but what cues/makers should I look for that'll play similar to the older mcdermotts?

I'm a very quiet person and without knowing many people around my area, I'm very cautious approaching people or asking other players to feel their stick but hopefully you guys can lead me in the right direction!

I'd be real careful there.

The Hulk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From my experience the only thing that hits like a old Mcdermott is a original unaltered Old Mcdermott. I had a old d-17 that I had them make me a new shaft for it to the exact specs as my old shaft. When I got it back and played with the new shaft it felt like a different cue, It played well but it just wasn't the same feel as the old shaft. My suggestion would be to find a new old stock D- series for sale if that's what your used to. They made tons of them and they still come up from time to time and don't cost a arm and a leg either. If and when you become interested in one just shoot me a pm I have a extra new unplayed d series i wilI part with.

Last edited:

mdavis228

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The D line are great cues - I think the pinnacle of McDermott's output. I have a D8 and also a D21 I ordered made thru their custom shop w/ MOP notched diamonds in the points and D25 joint rings. FYI... Unless they were custom ordered, they don't have ivory joints. They're an ivory colored composite. I don't think ivory was even an option, not on any D line cue.
You can find lots of butts with 3/8-10 composite flat faced joint that will hit great like the D's. Gilbert, Olney, Hill, the list goes on and on. Finding SHAFTS that play like what you've been using is where it all becomes a crap shoot. If you talk to a cue maker about what you're looking for in a shaft, what you've been using, etc, he can help you in the right direction, but nobody can give you any guarantee that they can "match" those shafts. You probably need to accept that you'll have an adjustment period with a new cue/shaft.

Zkid09

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From my experience the only thing that hits like a old Mcdermott is a original unaltered Old Mcdermott. I had a old d-17 that I had them make me a new shaft for it to the exact specs as my old shaft. When I got it back and played with the new shaft it felt like a different cue, It played well but it just wasn't the same feel as the old shaft. My suggestion would be to find a new old stock D- series for sale if that's what your used to. They made tons of them and they still come up from time to time and don't cost a arm and a leg either. If and when you become interested in one just shoot me a pm I have a extra new unplayed d series i wilI part with.

I will definitely take you up on that offer!! Thanks for the information as well.. Settles my mind even more about getting it redone or a new shaft.

The D line are great cues - I think the pinnacle of McDermott's output. I have a D8 and also a D21 I ordered made thru their custom shop w/ MOP notched diamonds in the points and D25 joint rings. FYI... Unless they were custom ordered, they don't have ivory joints. They're an ivory colored composite. I don't think ivory was even an option, not on any D line cue.
You can find lots of butts with 3/8-10 composite flat faced joint that will hit great like the D's. Gilbert, Olney, Hill, the list goes on and on. Finding SHAFTS that play like what you've been using is where it all becomes a crap shoot. If you talk to a cue maker about what you're looking for in a shaft, what you've been using, etc, he can help you in the right direction, but nobody can give you any guarantee that they can "match" those shafts. You probably need to accept that you'll have an adjustment period with a new cue/shaft.

Thank you for the input. I never realized they were composite. Never did much research until you said that and always thought they were ivory.
I know I'll have to do a lot of adjustment, just looking for something in the ballpark of that feel without trying a hundred cues.
I have looked at some of the Gilbert and Olney cues but I haven't done a ton of research on them. I'll give those a look though for sure. If you think of any others that I could like, let me know!

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member

Very sound/sage advice, and the underlined part I totally agree with.

Alex Kanapilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a D-17. I loved that cue, wish I never got rid of it. Now i just make due with my southwest.

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
Check my signature block...I had 3 McDermott D models...loved them all and wish I'd never sold them. My brother still has his old D3, I love to take it for a spin once in a while. I know people cherish their C models (they were nice and old school), but I always preferred the D models. Solid hitting cues, classy looks. :)

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So what's the problem about just continuing to play with the cues you have now? If you want to preserve them to make sure they don't get stolen/injured, you can always find another D series with the same weight and swap the shaft with the one you have been using. Will be almost an identical hit and will play the same way.

Zkid09

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gorgeous cue.

I can keep playing with the cues but the 11.5 shaft is a tad small for my liking and the shaft and butt both have a slight wobble.

The d12 I love but the shaft has been broken twice. I love how it shoots but if it breaks any more, it'll need a new shaft. I figure if I'm going to spend at least 200 on a new shaft, I might as well buy an entire cue and keep the d's for more of a keep sake than an every night player.

I can buy another d series, was just looking at other options

JAlan

Gerbil Jeff
Silver Member
I agree with the consensus here. The D line series of McDermotts were/are some incredible playing cues. Even today they are definitely still the best bang for the buck bargain cues out there.

I'd hold onto the ones you have and cherish them, especially for the sentimental value. Don't be afraid of those skinny shafts either, I've got an old D6 with an 11.75 or so shaft and it plays incredible. Was an old pros cue back in the late 80s early 90s and I remember seeing what it is capable of back then.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
McDermott should have replacement shafts for these cues that would be adequate.
I love the way my old D-19 plays, but I've hit with some newer McD's that play pretty good.
As far as restoration is concerned I have the same issue, but I don't think is matters unless the cue is all nicked up.
The existing shafts are so skinny that you will have to get used to any new shafts or custom cue.
Some of the people I know that have been in a similar situation seem to have a certain look that they want in a cue.
They do a little research or various cuemakers, and inevitably they order one, or someone makes them a terrific deal on a used cue.
It all comes down to how much you want to spend

Grinder313

Registered
I shot with a D11 for many years, tried a BlueGrass and went back the the D11. I did eventually trade the D11 for an early Dickey Neighbors cue with the 3/8-10 pin and really like how it plays. The D11 I had was the best looking cue I ever owned!

milesuw

Registered
I have sent my D21 to McDermott twice. Once for a refinish, and once to have a bar table short shaft made. They are very professional and do a great job.

DelaWho???

Banger McCue
Silver Member
$250 for a McD refinish with a new shaft. I did it with a D16 and they refurbed the original shaft as well. Looked great plays great.

Worth the money. I would at least send them in under the maintenace program. You get a lot for a small price.

:cool: