Mcgoorty

Cyclone

Nothing?

I think Diekmans family has the rights to this book via Robert Byrne. it should be copywrighted and read into Audible by Pool Hustlers Daughter or other creative people. Just sayin.

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Nothing?

I think Diekmans family has the rights to this book via Robert Byrne. it should be copywrighted and read into Audible by Pool Hustlers Daughter or other creative people. Just sayin.

The copyright on the book is still in force (regardless of who currently owns it). It’s a great book and I suggest people buy it instead of pirating it.

Cyclone

You can only buy it as used, price went up to nearly 75$. I have bought 6 or 8 over the years when the price was reasonable. I’m certain.

Its on a govt website so its not pirating, its in the public domain. You can’t download it from there but you can read it. You have to sign up to “borrow” it like the library.

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
You can only buy it as used, price went up to nearly 75$. I have bought 6 or 8 over the years when the price was reasonable. I’m certain.

Its on a govt website so its not pirating, its in the public domain. You can’t download it from there but you can read it. You have to sign up to “borrow” it like the library.

It’s not public domain but good to know that you can check it out to read from the internet archive.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Its on a govt website so its not pirating, its in the public domain. ...
The Internet Archive is not a government website. It is a charitable organization funded by donations.

Your information is wrong.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
And if anyone wants to buy a copy, I have several extras, each at less than $75. Here are three copies online, each for under $30:

1714658533197.png

Coos Cues

Coos Cues
After Robert Byrne passed away his estate was auctioned off. Dr. Dave got his table. The manuscript for McGooorty was available for cheap and I almost bought it but decided not to. This decision has always gnawed at me as a bad one.

Someone has it and it may end up being worth a good deal of money.

spktur

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its still not pirating.

Probably not pirating since there's no ship involved, but I would think the publisher that owns the copyright might have an issue under this regulation.
What is copyright infringement?
As a general matter, copyright infringement occurs when a copyrighted work is reproduced, distributed, performed, publicly displayed, or made into a derivative work without the permission of the copyright owner.

In the United States, copyright infringement can result in civil damages and criminal penalties. Civil damages can include:
  • Statutory damages: A minimum of $750 and a maximum of $30,000 per work infringed
  • Willful damages: A maximum of $150,000 per work infringed
  • Profits: Any profits made by the infringer
Criminal penalties can include:
  • Imprisonment: Up to five years
  • Fines: Up to $250,000 per offense
For example, downloading a file without the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) protection can result in a minimum fine of $750.

Cyclone

Very droll, you are probably a big hit in the faculty lounge. Its a figure of speech, like wiretapping.

Its also available at a physical library near you. So, is it a copyright infringement to check the book out of a digital library for temporary viewing but not an infringement to check it out of a physical library for temporary viewing?

Don’t read the book, you’d hate it. I’m sorry I gave you sea lawyers something great you could beotch about.

spktur

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very droll, you are probably a big hit in the faculty lounge. Its a figure of speech, like wiretapping.

Its also available at a physical library near you. So, is it a copyright infringement to check the book out of a digital library for temporary viewing but not an infringement to check it out of a physical library for temporary viewing?

Don’t read the book, you’d hate it. I’m sorry I gave you sea lawyers something great you could beotch about.

I've read the book and have had a copy for about 30 years or so. My favorite scene was when he hopped a passenger train to go west not realizing there's no play to ride without a ticket on a passenger train and that's why you hop a freight train.

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I've read the book and have had a copy for about 30 years or so. My favorite scene was when he hopped a passenger train to go west not realizing there's no play to ride without a ticket on a passenger train and that's why you hop a freight train.

I like the story where he is in Kansas (I think), beats the local shortstop out of all his money, and then the townspeople all gather round. McGoorty is worried they are going to hang him, but instead they invite him for a nice dinner because they hated the shortstop.

Reactions: Pin

spktur

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the story where he is in Kansas (I think), beats the local shortstop out of all his money, and then the townspeople all gather round. McGoorty is worried they are going to hang him, but instead they invite him for a nice dinner because they hated the shortstop.

Yeah that guy had lorded it over the whole town about how good he was. But he found out what a player really was.