Methods For Shooting Over Balls

BRKNRUN

Showin some A$$
Silver Member
I was trying to think of a fresh topic to bring up for discussion...This happens to be a part of my game that could use improvement and thought why not post it and see what develops.

I have never really seen any methods for shooting over balls.....or much about shooting jacked up near the rail....I have pretty much just figured it out as I went along.

Obviously it happens less when playing 9-ball...but playing 1-pocket and 8-ball (especially bar box)...it can be a frequent type of shot.

I am curious what methods or tricks are out there that help people?

mechanical or visual....post em if you got em.

Here is a basic visual element when shooting over balls or jacked up....

The CB equator line is normally thought of as being on the same plane as the playing surface...just halfway up the CB.....Draw and follow is applied by hitting below or above the equator line for desired effect.

When jacked up...the equator line plane angle changes....It is no longer equal to the playing surface plane angle...it is now equal to the angle of the cue....actually it technically always was/is since most players don't shoot with a perfectly level cue anyway.....but....knowing that the equator angle changes as you jack up your cue....you will be able to determine where to hit for draw or follow.

That is a basic visual element of shooting over balls....Another would be looking at the CB vs the OB last....A mechanical would be a shorter back stroke.....What other tricks are out there that help straightness of stroke, ball pocketing, etc. etc. etc???

Masayoshi

Fusenshou no Masa
Silver Member
Alignment is key. Most people get out of alignment when they jack up. Its just something you have to work at to get good at. Having someone stand behind you to tell you how your alignment changes when you jack up helps immensely.

Shortening your bridge length and keeping the cue as level as possible also helps.

Also, I tend to choke up too much on jacked up shots which makes my stroke quality suffer, so I have to remember to grip slightly behind where my hand naturally goes (although some choking up is probably necessary).

Last edited:

dareads

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I try to line up the shot like normal as much as possible and then elevate the cue once I have the line in mind. It can be tough when shooting over another ball, but works well when shooting while the cue ball is against the rail.

ridinda9

AKA: Sandy Bagger
Silver Member
as far as mechanical assistance goes , I once watched a girl shoot using a rubber ball which had two legs attached to it . The idea was that she would grip the rubber ball , and place the legs on either side of the ball she had to shoot over . she would then use her thumb as a bridge , and take the shot . She said it made her much more stable on these shots .

Don't know if it was production or one off , & I've never seen another . . .

Marie's husband

Cue It Up Promotions
Silver Member
This is a great question that I am curious to see some of the systems out there. About three weeks ago I missed a straight in 9 ball that was 8 feet away from the cue ball that was located against the rail. I initially thought I choked since it was hill hill but after shooting it a few more times I noticed I line up wrong when the cue is against the rail. What I have found to prevent me from lining up wrong from the get go is to put the tip of my cue about 8 inches in front of thecue ball and align it from the center of the cue ball to my aiming point. After I do that, I get my feet alined properly and the step into the shot. I was very surprised how much more accurate I was following that routine and I do believe the same routine would work shooting over a ball. Also, if there is no room to use thestick in front of the ball, you can do it the same thing from behind the ball. Sorry no breaks in paragraphs. cell phone wont let me.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Pat Fleming has a gizmo that is a weight you put on your cue shaft to help stabilize when shooting over a ball.. He swears it is like stealing... I keep meaning to ask if he has any of them left for sale =)

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Besides missing the shot it's easy to foul. I just got called for a foul first time for tapping an object ball while shooting over it. You can bet I will be a lot more careful next time.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
as far as mechanical assistance goes , I once watched a girl shoot using a rubber ball which had two legs attached to it . The idea was that she would grip the rubber ball , and place the legs on either side of the ball she had to shoot over . she would then use her thumb as a bridge , and take the shot . She said it made her much more stable on these shots .

Don't know if it was production or one off , & I've never seen another . . .

Something like this (available at PoolDawg)?:

jumpbuddy0x0-18764.jpg

--------

Another thing about shooting over balls is to not get too fancy with the application of english since it may put a masse effect on the cue ball.

Last edited:

Scaramouche

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is the Bone - don't have a pic - a hand held vertical piece. Randy G's favourite.

And let us not forget Earl's finger extenders.

Snooker has a variety of rest heads to help get into shooting position on the big tables.

Below:
Swan neck
Spider extender
Spider
Flexirest

Attachments

• Spider extender and swan neck.jpg
    Spider extender and swan neck.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 181
  • Spider.jpg
    Spider.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 172