Meucci factory tour

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
Interesting comment.

I am not a naysayer nor a doubter. I watched the video.

Exactly what are you hoping that people will see?

I know what I saw.

Fake points, painted inlays, points or vaneers. Saying they don't use real paua she'll that it's all fake.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fake points, painted inlays, points or vaneers. Saying they don't use real paua she'll that it's all fake.

Um...huh...?

Fake points? He showed real veneers and short splice forearms.

Not sure where you are going with all that.

You watched the video?

gregnice37

Silver Member
Um...huh...?

Fake points? He showed real veneers and short splice forearms.

Not sure where you are going with all that.

You watched the video?

Yes I watched the video. I never said those things. These are just comments I've read here and on Facebook and hear in real life about Meucci. In my original post I said I was glad this video was posted to show otherwise.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes I watched the video. I never said those things. These are just comments I've read here and on Facebook and hear in real life about Meucci. In my original post I said I was glad this video was posted to show otherwise.

Oh, I see.

I don't go on Facebook. It's a sewer. I am unaware of such claims. I haven't seen them here. But I have not read every post either.

I am glad to see the video as well.

But since you responded to my post, I responded to yours.

The video shows a great deal of things.

gregnice37

Silver Member
Oh, I see.

I don't go on Facebook. It's a sewer. I am unaware of such claims. I haven't seen them here. But I have not read every post either.

I am glad to see the video as well.

But since you responded to my post, I responded to yours.

The video shows a great deal of things.

It does for sure. Didn't realize the wood used in the black dot shafts was coming from those skinny sheets, would be cool to actually see one get put together.

I ordered a BMC last April after the Expo last year and even though the cue butt was actually dated at the end of July, it took a bit longer for me to get getting my 2 shafts perfect. Hated the wait of course, but very happy to get a perfect cue from them.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It does for sure. Didn't realize the wood used in the black dot shafts was coming from those skinny sheets, would be cool to actually see one get put together.

I ordered a BMC last April after the Expo last year and even though the cue butt was actually dated at the end of July, it took a bit longer for me to get getting my 2 shafts perfect. Hated the wait of course, but very happy to get a perfect cue from them.

Great.

Enjoy your cue.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I could only watch a little bit of it.
The shop looked dirty and cluttered.
It looked like a miserable sweat shop with low paid workers who really dont care.
And Bob needs a bra.
How depressing it was.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
I could only watch a little bit of it.

The shop looked dirty and cluttered.

It looked like a miserable sweat shop with low paid workers who really dont care.

And Bob needs a bra.

How depressing it was.

By the looks of the repairs many of us have made to them over the years.....your pretty on point is have to guess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, there is no denying every cue is truly unique:) ha ha.

I found it interesting Bob said he designs every single cue. I’m surprised he hasn’t had outside designers over the years just to have a different flair on some cues. Maybe he has. But if he truly designed every single cue ever made, that is quite impressive imo. Some of his cues are real lookers. Some are also super ugly imo, like Shaws cue.

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Things I learned from the video:

-That guy made finishing a cue look ridiculously easy. Is that really all there is to it when they stain the wood? couple seconds on the lathe, couple squirts from a repurposed dr. pepper bottle.

- the shop looks huge, like it could churn out hundreds of cues a day if they had the manpower.

- It must be really cool to have a pool hall right at the factory.

Do all companies work similar to this?

Most Americans, probably did and smaller ones still do - this is why they failed. Miserably. What you see is the mind of a guy stuck in the 1950s.

High quality mass production means having a proper workflow, proper quality control, controlled steps and minimal waste (time spent on things, moving goods from station to station, ...). Machines will do most of the work, including all trimming, pre-finishing, etc. Human just take control of the fine steps or the final finishing to make sure the surface is nice to touch.
The japanese Guitar industry really knows how to do all of this and what needs to be done by a person and what by a machine.

It also means letting go of your "creativity".
Depressing all in all, no clue about proper manifacturing, health and safety or high quality.
Depressing for me is also to see how Paris cues are made. Manual trimming down of shafts etc? What a nightmare, a machine is much more precise, can spot problems in the wood easily, etc.

Cheers,
M

Last edited:

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Things I learned from the video:

-That guy made finishing a cue look ridiculously easy. Is that really all there is to it when they stain the wood? couple seconds on the lathe, couple squirts from a repurposed dr. pepper bottle.

- the shop looks huge, like it could churn out hundreds of cues a day if they had the manpower.

- It must be really cool to have a pool hall right at the factory.

Do all companies work similar to this?

Please watch this tour before buying a cue. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T2pXa9znwY

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The McDermott tour was also professionally staged and scripted. The Meucci tour was a pool player on his phone walking around.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Mcdermott factory makes the Meucci factory look like a third world sweatshop.
Wait! It is in Mississippi right? Never mind.
Ever been to Oxford,Miss.? There's probably more literate people in this one town than in all of Colorado. Probably goes for my state(Okla) as well. I agree with the other poster about the off-the-cuff tour. No planning and slick tv work as in the McDermott clip. I've been in a lot of cuemakers shops that make Meucci's look organized.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Playing devil's advocate...
So what is so bad about the Meucci tour?

-It does look cluttered. Lots of trip hazards on the floor. Stations that are messy. No safety glasses worn.
My counterpoint: I'd bet most custom cue makers shops are worse. For the McDermott comparison, it "looks" clean, but that was staged. No way to know if they did a big clean up right before.

-The spray booth on the Meucci factory, the guy was not wearing a respirator. Counterpoint: My place of employment the OSHA guy came in and said to our spray booth painter: "You are NOT allowed to wear a respirator".

-People here on this thread probably cringed at Meucci using a pole sander to match the shaft to the butt.
Counterpoint: McDermott also matched the shaft to the butt, but used a turning process. They were assembled and turned as a unit. Both methods may make fitting another shaft to the butt more difficult in the future. Another counterpoint: many custom cue maker shops also have pole sanders. They may use them in different ways, but I'd bet some use them in the same way.

-Finishing: The Meucci guy was spinning the cue and applying a "rainbow" stain pattern. I think in another clip, he was staining around inlays.
Counterpoint: The McDermott clip showed about the same thing. A person with a brush applying a stain by hand and tracing the outline of the inlay.

-Race of workers: Why does this matter? Are you guys implying because they were not white, the Meucci workers are all illegals? The Meucci guy saying "the yellow man makes a better worker", I'd agree with him personally. I've been to factories in China, and factories in the USA, and imo, there is no comparison. The yellow man works better.

-Turning passes: The Meucci tour said 6 passes. The McDermott said 4.

-Pantograph: The Meucci tour stated the pantograph was faster than a CNC for inlays, because its quicker for the hogging out phase.
IMO, that is perhaps just inexperience with programming a cnc. You can adjust the feedrates however you see fit. But that really does not mean the pantograph is no good. Lots of custom guys with fancy inlays still use a pantograph.

I do think there could be a lot of improvement in the Meucci factory. I've been to several factories in the USA, China, and Taiwan with my dayjob. But I don't think its as bad as some of us here are claiming.

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Playing devil's advocate...
So what is so bad about the Meucci tour?

-It does look cluttered. Lots of trip hazards on the floor. Stations that are messy. No safety glasses worn.
My counterpoint: I'd bet most custom cue makers shops are worse. For the McDermott comparison, it "looks" clean, but that was staged. No way to know if they did a big clean up right before.

-The spray booth on the Meucci factory, the guy was not wearing a respirator. Counterpoint: My place of employment the OSHA guy came in and said to our spray booth painter: "You are NOT allowed to wear a respirator".

-People here on this thread probably cringed at Meucci using a pole sander to match the shaft to the butt.
Counterpoint: McDermott also matched the shaft to the butt, but used a turning process. They were assembled and turned as a unit. Both methods may make fitting another shaft to the butt more difficult in the future. Another counterpoint: many custom cue maker shops also have pole sanders. They may use them in different ways, but I'd bet some use them in the same way.

-Finishing: The Meucci guy was spinning the cue and applying a "rainbow" stain pattern. I think in another clip, he was staining around inlays.
Counterpoint: The McDermott clip showed about the same thing. A person with a brush applying a stain by hand and tracing the outline of the inlay.

-Race of workers: Why does this matter? Are you guys implying because they were not white, the Meucci workers are all illegals? The Meucci guy saying "the yellow man makes a better worker", I'd agree with him personally. I've been to factories in China, and factories in the USA, and imo, there is no comparison. The yellow man works better.

-Turning passes: The Meucci tour said 6 passes. The McDermott said 4.

-Pantograph: The Meucci tour stated the pantograph was faster than a CNC for inlays, because its quicker for the hogging out phase.
IMO, that is perhaps just inexperience with programming a cnc. You can adjust the feedrates however you see fit. But that really does not mean the pantograph is no good. Lots of custom guys with fancy inlays still use a pantograph.

I do think there could be a lot of improvement in the Meucci factory. I've been to several factories in the USA, China, and Taiwan with my dayjob. But I don't think its as bad as some of us here are claiming.

The McDermott factory has a lifetime warranty on its products, Muecci does not.
The McDermott name and reputation for quality is very good, Muecci is hit or miss.
The McDermott people have lots of technology in there products, Bob align a dot. LOL
The comment about someones race having to do with anything, RACIST! .
a person who shows or feels discrimination or prejudice against people of other races, or who believes that a particular race is superior to another.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ever been to Oxford,Miss.? There's probably more literate people in this one town than in all of Colorado. Probably goes for my state(Okla) as well. I agree with the other poster about the off-the-cuff tour. No planning and slick tv work as in the McDermott clip. I've been in a lot of cuemakers shops that make Meucci's look organized.

I've been to two well respected custom cue makers shops here in Colorado.
One shop was a cluttered dirty mess but he still makes great looking cues.
The other shop was clean and well organized and he makes great cues.