Meucci Originals 84-4, w-Rare Purple & Teal Points, Exotic Foearm; Full 13mm Shaft!

strum4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Meucci Originals 84-4, w-Rare Purple & Teal Points, Exotic Foearm; Full 13mm Shaft!

Reluctantly up for sale is my Meucci Originals model 84-4 cue, with rare purple and teal green veneers, beautiful tiger-stripe figuring in the maple forearm of the cue, and an unaltered shaft, having a full 13mm tip.

Full%20Cue%20Hi%20Resolution_zpsffepafe7.jpg

The 84-4 is one of the most quintessential designs ever made by Meucci! It's the model that virtually made the company a household name.

One unique attribute of this cue is that it has purple veneers, surrounded by teal or turquoise green veneers. For every one hundred or more Meucci cues you'll come across, you may get lucky and find one with this striking color combination, which remains popular with many contemporary custom cue makers today.

Forearm%20C-up_zpsewhz89tk.jpg

As seen by the photo collage of the maple forearm, this Meucci has very nice figuring, which resembles tiger-striping, and is often seen on the maple necks of some hi-end, custom guitars.

Forearm%20Collage_zpsbhbm920q.jpg

This Meucci is in Very Good+ condition for its age, and while it show some slight signs of natural wear from being played, it is a true survivor! Unlike the majority of Meucci Originals you might find up for sale, this one hasn't had its shaft turned down.

A digital caliper shows a full 13.04 mm at the base of the ferrule, and 13.02 mm at the top of the ferrule, or base of what appears to be the original LePro tip.

Ferrule%20amp%20LePro%20TIP_zpstf5qvwbh.jpg

The Irish Linen wrap (under finish) is in super nice condition, and feels just right! The shaft has been played in nicely, but was treated with care, as it feels naturally smooth when stroking.

Cortland%20Wrap_zpst7c1jjpr.jpg

The overall weight of the cue is just a tad under 20 oz., or 19.95 oz., with the exact specifications, as follows:

BUTT = 15.95 oz.
SHAFT= 4.00 oz.
TOTAL= 19.95 oz.

BUTT%20amp%20COLLAR%20Collage_zpsmwbzs4ls.jpg

Both the butt and shaft roll straight, either separately or when assembled. This is a perfectly playable, collectible cue, with the solid hit and lively action that these old-growth, long pro-tapered, Meucci Originals are famously known for!

I feel that any Meucci collector and serious player would be delighted to own this cue.

$GONE!

Interested parties may send me a PM for payment & shipping information.

Last edited:

strum4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Meucci 84-4 Veneers & Points

Are those points Micarta?

Hello,

While companies like Schon used Westinghouse Micarta for ferrules, I believe that the ivory-colored spear in the forearm of this Meucci is some type of composite, or "Implex," as used in the collars. But it could very well be Micarta. The razor-sharp maple veneers are stained purple & teal green.

Your question would be a good one for such Meucci expert repairmen as Scott Erwin or Ryan Theewan. If one of them is reading this thread, perhaps they can chime in with their expertise?

This is a pre-1990, Meucci Originals cue, so if Micarta was ever used in Meucci's, then it likely would have been in this era, and not the "script logo" Meucci's that followed.

Here's a link to an AZB thread about a special cue that Meucci made for Cornhusker Billiards, which is often mistaken for an 84-4 model. While they share many similarities, the ring work of these cues, named the "Black Knight" and "White Knight," is noticeably different, as perimeters of the boxes are jagged, an not rectangular, as with the 84-4. In the sixth post from the top, a member named Subsonic2u speaks about having a similar Meucci with Micarta points, and how the post-1990 cues used white plastic:

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=74417

Thanks for your interest in this classic cue, from Meucci's "Golden-Era." I doubt you could purchase a new Meucci--at any cost, and especially below $500.00--that would perform like this cue. Please feel free to contact me with any other questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Glen

strum4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Any 84-4 Fans Out There?

Bump to the top for an 84-4 in a rare color scheme! Nearly every one that you see has red veneers and a natural blonde finish. Here's one that's different from the rest of the pack!

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
It may be my imagination but those 2 point cues from Meucci played great. Mine was the Jimmy Rempe JR-1 & a couple friends had 2 pointers, I forget their model #'s!