Mezz Axi series vs. ACE 18 series

JJM1911

Registered
Taking the shaft out of the equation since you can order any of the cues with whatever shafts you want, and also assuming they are both wavy joint:
So basically the rest just comes down to the forearm, and if we are comparing say an AXI 158 vs ACE 184, am I right that at this point it’s just aesthetics? Quality of play is in the joint and shaft, so the rest of the forearm is just looks? Or am I missing something?

Ģüśţāṿ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my opinion, yes you are essentially paying for looks. Mezz is very consistent in terms of fit, finish, and feel from cue to cue. They all play great and the wavy joint has a super tight fit, one of my favorites for sure, if only the tooling for it wasn't so expensive!

If you're in the market for an AXI 158 ( Since you mentioned that specifically ), I have one I'd be willing to part with, comes with a WX700. If you have any interest, PM me. ☺

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ģüśţāṿ;6589655 said:
In my opinion, yes you are essentially paying for looks. Mezz is very consistent in terms of fit, finish, and feel from cue to cue. They all play great and the wavy joint has a super tight fit, one of my favorites for sure, if only the tooling for it wasn't so expensive!

If you're in the market for an AXI 158 ( Since you mentioned that specifically ), I have one I'd be willing to part with, comes with a WX700. If you have any interest, PM me. ☺

I'm not familiar with Mezz, but if both of these forearms are made with maple wood or whatever material, if both of them are made with the same material then it just about looks sure, but let's say that both forearms are made with different material? then what you have is two different feel to the cues, which brings a debate.

As to which one is better if both are made with the same material, its the same.

which one is better if both forearms made with different material? you have to test, cause its a matter of preference in the feel.

Ģüśţāṿ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
According to their website, all Mezz are made with a tapered core, however it doesn't say whether or not they change core material. If I were a betting man, I'd figure that they always use a maple core and add weight bolts to get the desired weight/balance point. This would also allow them to have a consistent feel. This is just my assumption, but since they manufacture these lines on such a large scale, I believe it's not far from the truth. Either way, they all play great! The shaft type (carbon core vs wood) changes the feel between cues a bit.

Kev

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The ACE serie have a SS joint collar and the hit will be slightly harder/stiffer than the AXI.