Mezz vs lower end customs

Marc85

For the people who have played with both, would you rather shoot with a lower end custom or Mezz. I’ve played here and there with lots of customs and been playing with an Mezz for a while. Some of the mid-higher end cues played very well. Much nicer looking than Mezz but I’m not sure I would say they played much if any better. My question is, around the $5-700 range why would anyone choose the custom over a Mezz? The few I’ve had the chance to shoot within that range were not impressive at all with the exception of a Josey Merry Widow. What am I missing that causes people play with an inferior cue(and I’m not talking about subjectively, more of the very obvious)for the same or more money?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For the people who have played with both, would you rather shoot with a lower end custom or Mezz. I’ve played here and there with lots of customs and been playing with an Mezz for a while. Some of the mid-higher end cues played very well. Much nicer looking than Mezz but I’m not sure I would say they played much if any better. My question is, around the $5-700 range why would anyone choose the custom over a Mezz? The few I’ve had the chance to shoot within that range were not impressive at all with the exception of a Josey Merry Widow. What am I missing that causes people play with an inferior cue(and I’m not talking about subjectively, more of the very obvious)for the same or more money?
I have a Mezz. IMO they are the best production cues made. Easily as well made(if not better) than a lot of customs. Their QC is very good.

Zerksies

I really am not much of a fan using things that are not easily replaceable. I really don't want to damage one off things, Like custom cues even low end one.

Right now i'm playing with a production cue.

I bought a low end custom cue about 20 years ago. The work wasn't that great, things were uneven, but i used it just for breaking. I do see now that the builder is doing alot better quality work.

Flakeandrun

Love my Mezz cues (Cp-21/Ace 2180) - and that's coming from someone that not too long ago believed definitively that buying a cue specific for pool was for dummies... and that I'd always use a house cue. My attitude has shifted significantly in the months since I have switched to playing pool more often over snooker.
I was put-off mostly by the aggressive consumerist marketing... that and all the nonsense my friend would chat about "tech" :sick: Eventually I caved due to the fact my friend sold me a Cp21 for cheap cheap (I have had the same snooker cue for 15+ years, and bought two same spec customs to replace it when it was stolen from me - the player learns the cue, doesn't buy themself a better game was my logic, and what I had been taught). I later bought an Ace, second hand, as a back up butt. Also a well constructed and well balanced piece of wood.

Hybrid pro, Expro, ILC monster pro (custom made by ILC) - all of these shafts play perfectly, and are well constructed, fitting the joint flawlessly. Mezz does everything you need it to. A custom cue may or may not feel right... But it will certainly be aesthetically more suited to your taste, which is the main reasoning for buying, not some special manufacturing process, or magic cue that will make you play better.

A lot of the joints used by custom manufacturers are pretty universal, so I wouldn't worry about things not being replaceable. I recently purchased a beautiful Larry Vigas that I literally fell in love with from an aesthetic perspective. The finish and texture of the wood is insanely beautiful. It just so happened that when I tested it, it felt 'right' with both the shafts included (also having a joint that allowed for easy access to other shafts in the future).

Is it better than my Mezz? no. Is it more exclusive? Being 1 of 1, custom. Yes. Enjoy that feeling of ownership, and hope it adds the necessary placebo to your game :) I'd say, if you can afford it, go for it. But the quality of Mezz, is actually not to be scoffed at.

Last edited:

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have a Mezz. IMO they are the best production cues made. Easily as well made(if not better) than a lot of customs. Their QC is very good.
I would have to echo this sentiment. The Mezz "sneaky" that I sold quite sometime ago, was a superb player. The fit and finish was excellent, and the balance was spot on...at least for me. The precision feel of the joint screw, during the joining of the cue butt to the shaft, made a believer out of me. I would not hesitate to own another one.
😎

chenjy9

I have a Mezz EC-7 with an Ignite shaft and enjoy using it compared to all my other custom cues with the exception of my Nitti cue that I got recently. I am unsure what it is about the Nitti, but I enjoy how it feels in my hands and when I hit balls with it a LOT. This actually puts me in an interesting predicament; do I now get a Merry Widow cue from Chris Nitti or should I just swallow my greed and stay with the Mezz which is my 2nd favorite cue? For reference regarding the Mezz, I have custom cues from the following makers:
  • Jerico (Jerry Powers)
  • Studiotronics (Eddie O' Bryant
  • Shurtz (Bob Owen)
  • Nitti (Chris Nitti)
I will also say this about my Mezz; it has by far the best feeling linen wrap I have ever experienced on a cue. I don't know what kind of linen wrap it uses or how they do it, but I have always hated linen wraps and yet I love the one my Mezz has. Even Scot from Proficient Billiards agreed that it's one of the best feeling linen wraps he's seen/felt.

Last edited:

ddg45

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also have a Josey merry widow and it's a great player. I've never played with a Mezz but have heard nothing but favorable comments on this website. I would consider buying one, but I've been told they have a thick butt diameter and I prefer something slim. My Pechauers both have the best finish of any cues I've touched, and I like them as well or better than my Josey, and they're both beautiful and great values.

Flakeandrun

I also have a Josey merry widow and it's a great player. I've never played with a Mezz but have heard nothing but favorable comments on this website. I would consider buying one, but I've been told they have a thick butt diameter and I prefer something slim. My Pechauers both have the best finish of any cues I've touched, and I like them as well or better than my Josey, and they're both beautiful and great values.
I actually found my Cp21/Ace Butt's to feel quite slim in hand compared to other options I tried. They are definitely some of the finest production line equipment going.

ddg45

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I actually found my Cp21/Ace Butt's to feel quite slim in hand compared to other options I tried. They are definitely some of the finest production line equipment going.
Interesting. I'll give Mezz a call and see if I can get a measurement.

lord_shar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

How do Mezz cues compare to Schons? I've shot with Schons, but do not have any buddies who shoot with Mezz.

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
quality is equal easily. different hits but both are great.
The Schon CX that I owned, did not feel as nice to me as the Mezz that I owned. No particular knock against Schon...I just thought that my former Mezz, had a "more solid" feel to it. Just my opinion, and I am sure it's subjective.
😎

lord_shar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also have a Josey merry widow and it's a great player. I've never played with a Mezz but have heard nothing but favorable comments on this website. I would consider buying one, but I've been told they have a thick butt diameter and I prefer something slim.
The Schon CX that I owned, did not feel as nice to me as the Mezz that I owned. No particular knock against Schon...I just thought that my former Mezz, had a "more solid" feel to it. Just my opinion, and I am sure it's subjective.

My Schon CX61 butt is slimmer than my Gilbert. I never paid much attention to this until after reading both of the above posts. Both of my cues have very solid hits, but the Gilbert has a preferable feel because of the wider grip and lizard wrap. I'm guessing that back end diameter affects the cue's hit in addition to weight, balance, and taper.

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
My Schon CX61 butt is slimmer than my Gilbert. I never paid much attention to this until after reading both of the above posts. Both of my cues have very solid hits, but the Gilbert has a preferable feel because of the wider grip and lizard wrap. I'm guessing that back end diameter affects the cue's hit in addition to weight, balance, and taper.
Everything that you have mentioned is certainly possible. Over the years, I have come to figure out that my preferred cue weight is generally between 18.5 to 19 Oz , with a balance point of ~ 19.25" from the butt of the cue. The butt diameter could certainly factor in to the comfort of the cue in your hand. Some of them (cues) just have the "magic."
🤷😎

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My latest dream cue is a Mezz Exceed plain jane made from some dark colored rosewood and possibly adding an ignite shaft. I recently sold an expensive cue so my cookie jar is percolating waiting for the new year and new ways to spend money.

I like others believe Mezz is a step ahead of just about any other production cue available, and they hold their value very well.

tabi1

Registered
I have a Mezz EC-7 Purple heart MW that hits well and better than some low end customs i have but i believe it is mostly the shaft. I have the Ex-pro shaft i believe it is called that comes with a lot of the Exceed cues. That setup is better than my Carmeli all day long.

Marc85

Thanks everyone for the reply’s. I’m now waiting on a pretty rare TA3 with wavy pin and ignite to come in. Can’t wait!