Mezz's unique pin

starburst

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone know if you can fit any shafts with standard 5/16-14 pin into Mezz's butts with unique 5/16-14 ? So what's so unique about this "unique pin" ?

I want to convert my Mezz break cue to a playing cue and I need a replacement shaft as the original shaft plays too stiff.

If I go with a custom shaft, should I get a precise diameter of the butt for the cue maker or all mass-production cue joints come in a standard diameter?

Thanks

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i think they just change the pitch. i can't remember but i think i tried to fit a schon shaft on my mezz without a problem

Mezz USA

Exclusive Mezz Dist.
Silver Member
Hi Starburst,

We believe that Mezz United Joint is similar to the 5/16-14 pin. However, if you were to use a Mezz shaft on a Schon pin it would not be as tight.

If you would like to use your Mezz Break Cue as a playing cue, you can purchase any Mezz shaft with a United Joint. Otherwise, you can try using another shaft that fits on a 5/16-14 pin.

Thanks,
Caroline
Mezz USA

starburst said:
Does anyone know if you can fit any shafts with standard 5/16-14 pin into Mezz's butts with unique 5/16-14 ? So what's so unique about this "unique pin" ?

I want to convert my Mezz break cue to a playing cue and I need a replacement shaft as the original shaft plays too stiff.

If I go with a custom shaft, should I get a precise diameter of the butt for the cue maker or all mass-production cue joints come in a standard diameter?

Thanks

BlowFish

Pinoy D-Player
Silver Member
Any standard 5/16x14 shaft will fit as long as the pilot fits. I have tried a Predator, OB-1, Schon and Joss shafts with 5/16x14 joint without issues on a Powerbreak. You best bet is to get a United Jointed shaft from Mezz, then you're rest assured that it fits tight properly.

Mezz Pins:
United = Modified 5/16x14 (will fit a Standard 5/16x14)
Wavy = Modified 3/8x9 (will fit a Standard 3/8x9)
(Note: that's based on my personal experience.)

okinawa77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mezz USA said:
Hi Starburst,

We believe that Mezz United Joint is similar to the 5/16-14 pin. However, if you were to use a Mezz shaft on a Schon pin it would not be as tight.

If you would like to use your Mezz Break Cue as a playing cue, you can purchase any Mezz shaft with a United Joint. Otherwise, you can try using another shaft that fits on a 5/16-14 pin.

Thanks,
Caroline
Mezz USA

Hi Caroline,

I am in Japan, right now, and I have a couple questions about Mezz cues.

Why are the US and Japan lines (selection of cues) different?

Do you know any Mezz retailers in the Tokyo, Yokohama, Kawasaki, or Shinjuku area?

I tried to do a search, but it's written in Japanese...and the maps aren't easy to read. If you could help me out, then would be great.

Thanks,
Mathew

joeboxer

WIAWSNB
Silver Member
Mezz USA said:
Hi Starburst,

Thanks,
Caroline
Mezz USA

I think you made a mistake here..........if you use a Mezz shaft on a standard 5/16-14 pin, it "will" be much tighter than normal. But it will work.
I think you meant that if you use a standard 5/16-14 shaft on a mezz united pin, then it wont be as tight. At least that was my experience.

icem3n

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
joeboxer said:
I think you made a mistake here..........if you use a Mezz shaft on a standard 5/16-14 pin, it "will" be much tighter than normal. But it will work.
I think you meant that if you use a standard 5/16-14 shaft on a mezz united pin, then it wont be as tight. At least that was my experience.

Joeboxer, I agree with you. :thumbup:

Caroline, did make a mistake.

icem3n

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
okinawa77 said:
Hi Caroline,

I am in Japan, right now, and I have a couple questions about Mezz cues.

Why are the US and Japan lines (selection of cues) different?

Do you know any Mezz retailers in the Tokyo, Yokohama, Kawasaki, or Shinjuku area?

I tried to do a search, but it's written in Japanese...and the maps aren't easy to read. If you could help me out, then would be great.

Thanks,
Mathew

Mathew, I send you a PM. Hope this help !!

p/s- dont forget to rep me. :D

starburst

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
poolplayer2093 said:
i think they just change the pitch. i can't remember but i think i tried to fit a schon shaft on my mezz without a problem

Could you explain a bit about "pitch". I don't really get it. Did the schon shaft fit thightly on your mezz?

starburst

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hangemhigh said:
The answer may be the pins are rolled instead of machined.

What does "rolled" mean?

At first I thought their "unique" design was the thread on the pin which is not all the way to the top and it had something to do with the width of piloted insert on the shaft.

starburst

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BlowFish said:
Any standard 5/16x14 shaft will fit as long as the pilot fits. I have tried a Predator, OB-1, Schon and Joss shafts with 5/16x14 joint without issues on a Powerbreak. You best bet is to get a United Jointed shaft from Mezz, then you're rest assured that it fits tight properly.

Mezz Pins:
United = Modified 5/16x14 (will fit a Standard 5/16x14)
Wavy = Modified 3/8x9 (will fit a Standard 3/8x9)
(Note: that's based on my personal experience.)

How to know if the pilot would fit? Probably use a caliper ?? I noticed that the pilot on schon shafts are shorter compared to mezz shafts. Does it affect on how the shaft plays or how secure is the joint?

starburst

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
joeboxer said:

how not tight was it? did it affect how it play? Was it bad enough that you won't suggest anyone to put a replacement shaft on a mezz butt ?

BlowFish

Pinoy D-Player
Silver Member
starburst said:
How to know if the pilot would fit? Probably use a caliper ?? I noticed that the pilot on schon shafts are shorter compared to mezz shafts. Does it affect on how the shaft plays or how secure is the joint?

You're right, you need a caliper. Of course, the better the fit, the better it hits. A standard shaft with 5/16x14 joint will not be as tight fit as a United Joint on a Mezz Butt.

BlowFish

Pinoy D-Player
Silver Member
Mezz USA said:
Hi Starburst,

Thanks,
Caroline
Mezz USA

I won't advice on fitting a United Joint shaft into a normal 5/16x14 pinned butt (e.g. Schon, Joss), as it will loosen up the fit when returned to a Mezz Butt.

joeboxer

WIAWSNB
Silver Member
starburst said:
how not tight was it? did it affect how it play? Was it bad enough that you won't suggest anyone to put a replacement shaft on a mezz butt ?

Its only loose while youre screwing it on. Once you get it joined all the way with the butt, it will play just like any other cue. It tightens up just fine once it is joined.

starburst

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can anyone tell me if predator's diameter is the same as the diameter of mezz butt? If not, is it wider or smaller by much?

icem3n

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
starburst said:
Can anyone tell me if predator's diameter is the same as the diameter of mezz butt? If not, is it wider or smaller by much?

They have the same diameter. I used to swap my shafts alot on both brands. :)