Mika qualifying run at Derby

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIPkTYpfnSA

With less than an hour left, Mika bought another sheet and then waited to see if he could get on one of the tables. Dennis Orcullo was on one table and was entitled to take 4 attempts, even though he was already in with a 154. He only had one attempt left on his sheet and it came to an end. Nick van den Berg, who sat in the eighth spot with a 140, paid for half of another sheet for Dennis, to keep Dennis on the table and Mika off the table. The third table opened up and Mika practically ran to the room to go for his last shot to qualify. First attempt 155.

Last edited:

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me04hK5eXVE

With less than an hour left, Mika bought another sheet and then waited to see if he could get on one of the tables. Dennis Orcullo was on one table and was entitled to take 4 attempts, even though he was already in with a 154. He only had one attempt left on his sheet and it came to an end. Nick van den Berg, who sat in the eighth spot with a 140, paid for half of another sheet for Dennis, to keep Dennis on the table and Mika off the table. The third table opened up and Mika practically ran to the room to go for his last shot to qualify. First attempt 155.

That's kind of dirty.

Thanks for the video.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
That's kind of dirty.

Thanks for the video.

One year Ralf had the high run of 173 or so. On the last night he came in and did his last 4 attempts. We had no time limit back then. He ran something like 70,80, 139 and something else and tied the table up most of the night while would be players sat and waited. After that we said 4 tries or one hour whichever is lesser at one time.

There are flaws in our system. Probably because Bill and I opened it up to unlimited buy-ins a few years back. Some guys get a lot of tries and some only get a few. The better the player, the busier he is in other events and the less time he can devote to us.

We hope to make it better next year.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One year Ralf had the high run of 173 or so. On the last night he came in and did his last 4 attempts. We had no time limit back then. He ran something like 70,80, 139 and something else and tied the table up most of the night while would be players sat and waited. After that we said 4 tries or one hour whichever is lesser at one time.

There are flaws in our system. Probably because Bill and I opened it up to unlimited buy-ins a few years back. Some guys get a lot of tries and some only get a few. The better the player, the busier he is in other events and the less time he can devote to us.

I would never criticize you, just commenting on one player paying for another player to tie up the table for a third player.

Your DCC 14.1 challenge is perhaps the highest level 14.1 tournament in the world because there are some players who can't make it to the world tournament who are at the DCC. It is interesting to see players who aren't known to be 14.1 players making big runs.

Corwyn_8

Energy Curmudgeon
Silver Member
There are flaws in our system. Probably because Bill and I opened it up to unlimited buy-ins a few years back.

Unlimited buy-ins and limited tables is going to cause trouble. How do you prioritize tables? One attempt and to the back of the line with you would seem vaguely reasonable. Allowing players to buy their way into getting rid of an opponent, would not.

Thank you kindly.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... There are flaws in our system. Probably because Bill and I opened it up to unlimited buy-ins a few years back. Some guys get a lot of tries and some only get a few. The better the player, the busier he is in other events and the less time he can devote to us.

I hope that it's four tables for at least the crunch times.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Unlimited buy-ins and limited tables is going to cause trouble. How do you prioritize tables? One attempt and to the back of the line with you would seem vaguely reasonable. Allowing players to buy their way into getting rid of an opponent, would not.

Thank you kindly.
The rule this year was no more than 4 tries and if you have been on the table for an hour you can't start any more tries even if you have had only one, assuming there is someone waiting.

bigskyblue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Different camera angle

Dennis thank you for posting these straight pool videos.

If possible could you shift the camera angle of the videos so that the viewer can observe the stroke arm of the players. Most players seem to be right handed and
viewing from the left side does not show how they are stroking the CB.

Here are two videos you posted of Mika Immonen (who moves the CB like God) that
allow the viewer to see how and where he strokes the CB.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnZ7YpZfSAA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JBOCUiu9mE

Here is a video you posted of John Schmidt shot from the opposite side of the table.
You can still see the pattern play but much of how he does it is hidden.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NG4Lajtfgkc

Thanks again for all the wonderful postings.

Peace

Corwyn_8

Energy Curmudgeon
Silver Member
The rule this year was no more than 4 tries and if you have been on the table for an hour you can't start any more tries even if you have had only one, assuming there is someone waiting.

It would seem that that rule (alone) isn't enough to prevent:
"Nick van den Berg, who sat in the eighth spot with a 140, paid for half of another sheet for Dennis, to keep Dennis on the table and Mika off the table."

Perhaps a rule that all pre-paid attempts must be started before new buy-ins can be started.

Thank you kindly.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
"Nick van den Berg, who sat in the eighth spot with a 140, paid for half of another sheet for Dennis, to keep Dennis on the table and Mika off the table."

Perhaps a rule that all pre-paid attempts must be started before new buy-ins can be started.

Thank you kindly.

Stuff happens. A few years back, we had no 4 run or one hour limit. Ralf Souquet, who already had the high run of the event tied up one table for probably close to 4 hours as Darren Appleton, Jayson Shaw, Chinakhov, Van den Berg, and a bunch of others watched and waited for their chance to get in.

We try to fix things as we see the need. Hopefully, one or two more tables next year would fix a lot.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Thank you kindly.
The present plan to thwart such maneuvers is to have more tables available, especially at crunch time.

Samiel

Sea Player
Silver Member
I watched most of the run and have to say it wasn't the "cleanest" run I've seen. Many times Mika shoots his way out of bad situations. Under pressure of time and in the situation though, it was a great run for sure.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Dennis thank you for posting these straight pool videos.

If possible could you shift the camera angle of the videos so that the viewer can observe the stroke arm of the players. Most players seem to be right handed and
viewing from the left side does not show how they are stroking the CB.

Here are two videos you posted of Mika Immonen (who moves the CB like God) that
allow the viewer to see how and where he strokes the CB.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnZ7YpZfSAA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JBOCUiu9mE

Here is a video you posted of John Schmidt shot from the opposite side of the table.
You can still see the pattern play but much of how he does it is hidden.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NG4Lajtfgkc

Thanks again for all the wonderful postings.

Peace

We used the counter which is on one side of the room to put up the tripods.