Mike Sigel

metallicane

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The most exciting play I've ever seen from Mike, over three decades, was not a televised or tounament match, but rather, against "Cigar Tom Vanover" at Gentlemen's Cue, in Reisterstown, Maryland in 1982. Mike was at the top of his game, and arguably so was Tom. Tom was, and is, a local player, who was probably the best in the Mid-Atlantic, if not the top five. They played straight pool, nine ball, and one-pocket in case of a tie. Mike got a little cocky in the straight pool to open and left Tom with an opportunity to shoot, to get the game going. Tom actually beat him in straight pool, which he admitted later he wasn't supposed to do. Mike beared down, beat him in nine ball, and one-pocket was left, two out of three to win. Tom had a long table bank shot to win three to two, and hung his game ball in the pocket. Mike proceeded to win the match, with people hanging off of tables, chairs, the stairwell, and everywhere else to get a look.

They played a rematch the following year, and Mike wasn't having any jollyness this time, quickly dispatching Tom the first two sets.

It went to prove that as good a player as Cigar Tom was, he was not a match for Mike, when Mike beared down. And Tom won just about everything in sight in that area at that time. I'll bet there are a few members that may have been there and remembered these encounters.

I was at Gentlemen's that night as well. I had met Sigel at The Texas Cue Lounge and heard about the match so I went with a couple of friends. Great night.

Years later I remember seeing Cigar Tom in a big money match with Mark Ford. CT was a stud.

whitewolf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sigel told me this hustling story:

At a very early age (I think in his teens), Mike was "95 pounds soaking wet" when he went to a town where Mizerack was stationed.

He walks into the pool hall, puts his 5 piece pool cue together, and flashes a wad of $100 bill around, asking if anyone wants to play. He gets into some cheap games and finally declares he will play anybody they put up. So they go get Mizerack and Mike gets the 8 ball. After Mizerack takes a beating, he demands to play Mike even. After it was over Mike walked around with $5,000. Steve never did care for Mike much after this event.

I asked Sigel if he ever played Cole Dickson, and he told me no, but at one point very early in his career, Cole turns to him and says in a loud voice: You! You get the 8 ball for $300 a game. Mike, said he was too young at the time, turned the offer down. He and Cole are now very good friends supposedly.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Yes Man

Great player now doubt. He's called the mouth for a reason and that reason is what you make of it :lol:

Bingo....
And Mike was always able to find that ''hammerhead'' in the crowd to talk to, no other player ever did that, with the head shakin' and the great body language. He was Very unique and he was always Captain Hook, and predictable in his actions whether you like it or not.

Hammerhead....definiton comes from the producer/director of a show wanting pics of the audience for filler and background.

Buddy Hall named that person, the ''YES MAN''....

Terry Ardeno

I still love my wife
Silver Member
Once upon a time.....

Buddy Hall may have gambled, but Toby Sweet cleaned his backers out in a few hours during the only time they played each other. This was when they were both in their prime. Toby also offered Buddy Hall the 8-ball and he turned it down.

You're saying Toby Sweet not only offered BUDDY HALL a ball, he also beat him??? And you added "when "both were in their prime"???

I don't believe it.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
You're saying Toby Sweet not only offered BUDDY HALL a ball, he also beat him??? And you added "when "both were in their prime"???

I don't believe it.

Toby did beat Buddy, but it was back in the 60's a few years before Buddy became the dominant player he was to become. In his prime Toby wouldn't play Buddy!

Wedge

WO Wedge Lock
Silver Member
Mike Sigel Today

Mike is the House Pro at Champion Billiards in Frederick, Maryland...my home room. He also has a small Pro Shop there we sells cues and cases and does minor cue repairs...mostly shafts, ferrules and tips.

Mike gives quite a few lessons to local players when he is in town at very reasonable rates. I have been on the next table a few times during those lessons and he is a very patient instructor and is genuinely pleased when a student does well during the lesson.

Mike also shows up frequently during APA League nights...particularly Masters and watches the matches and talks to all the players and the crowd. Is he a bit arrogant...perhaps...but on the other hand he is in no way standoffish!

Mike is still an avid fisherman...as I am...and Largemouth Bass fishes in Florida, Smallmouth Bass fishes on Lake Erie near Buffalo and Pike fishes in remote Canada once a year. He brings his two young sons to the room once in a while and they practice on another table while Mike is practicing or giving lessons.

Having said all that Mike has been a welcome addition to Champion Billiards and still plays at a Top Pro level. He can consistently run a hundred balls and works quite a bit on his 10 Ball game.

All in all my opinion is that Mike is a good guy...Nuffi said!

metallicane

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike is the House Pro at Champion Billiards in Frederick, Maryland...my home room. He also has a small Pro Shop there we sells cues and cases and does minor cue repairs...mostly shafts, ferrules and tips.

Mike gives quite a few lessons to local players when he is in town at very reasonable rates. I have been on the next table a few times during those lessons and he is a very patient instructor and is genuinely pleased when a student does well during the lesson.

Mike also shows up frequently during APA League nights...particularly Masters and watches the matches and talks to all the players and the crowd. Is he a bit arrogant...perhaps...but on the other hand he is in no way standoffish!

Mike is still an avid fisherman...as I am...and Largemouth Bass fishes in Florida, Smallmouth Bass fishes on Lake Erie near Buffalo and Pike fishes in remote Canada once a year. He brings his two young sons to the room once in a while and they practice on another table while Mike is practicing or giving lessons.

Having said all that Mike has been a welcome addition to Champion Billiards and still plays at a Top Pro level. He can consistently run a hundred balls and works quite a bit on his 10 Ball game.

All in all my opinion is that Mike is a good guy...Nuffi said!

I agree that Mike is a good guy. Misunderstood maybe too. He has always been nice to me when we have chatted.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
I was at Gentlemen's that night as well. I had met Sigel at The Texas Cue Lounge and heard about the match so I went with a couple of friends. Great night.

Years later I remember seeing Cigar Tom in a big money match with Mark Ford. CT was a stud.

Good to hear you were there. There aren't too many of us around anymore, and Gentlemens Cue was not that large. In terms of a touring pro being challengd by a local player, it was probably the match of the century.

If you were at Texas Cue Club, you probably also remember the two exhibtions between Mike Sigel and Jim Rempe at Texas Cue Club in the Sping of 1984, straight pool and nine ball. Those were great matches too.

Terry Ardeno

I still love my wife
Silver Member
I stand corrected....:banghead:

Wasn't correcting you Bill. I was adding to what you said by quoting how Grady took the phrase to the next level. Anytime he noticed Sigel or Strickland chirping at a railbird, he would reference that person as "the designated yes man."

That was one of his funny catch phrases.

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good to hear you were there. There aren't too many of us around anymore, and Gentlemens Cue was not that large. In terms of a touring pro being challengd by a local player, it was probably the match of the century.

If you were at Texas Cue Club, you probably also remember the two exhibtions between Mike Sigel and Jim Rempe at Texas Cue Club in the Sping of 1984, straight pool and nine ball. Those were great matches too.

Yes an local player as in Cigar Tom Vanover,had everything that a touring pro had and then some,if Tom wasnt so much of a dedicated family man and chose the road and big tournaments over being a great supporting working family man,with out a doubt, he would of been right up there with the best of them,NOWS THAT JUST NOT MY WORDS, THATS WHAT BUDDY HALL TOLD TOM AT THE LAST US OPEN TOM HAD PLAYED IN!

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The most exciting play I've ever seen from Mike, over three decades, was not a televised or tounament match, but rather, against "Cigar Tom Vanover" at Gentlemen's Cue, in Reisterstown, Maryland in 1982. Mike was at the top of his game, and arguably so was Tom. Tom was, and is, a local player, who was probably the best in the Mid-Atlantic, if not the top five. They played straight pool, nine ball, and one-pocket in case of a tie. Mike got a little cocky in the straight pool to open and left Tom with an opportunity to shoot, to get the game going. Tom actually beat him in straight pool, which he admitted later he wasn't supposed to do. Mike beared down, beat him in nine ball, and one-pocket was left, two out of three to win. Tom had a long table bank shot to win three to two, and hung his game ball in the pocket. Mike proceeded to win the match, with people hanging off of tables, chairs, the stairwell, and everywhere else to get a look.

They played a rematch the following year, and Mike wasn't having any jollyness this time, quickly dispatching Tom the first two sets.

It went to prove that as good a player as Cigar Tom was, he was not a match for Mike, when Mike beared down. And Tom won just about everything in sight in that area at that time. I'll bet there are a few members that may have been there and remembered these encounters.

Hi wild, the race was to 3 in the 1pocket,Tom was winning 2-1,banks a long rail bank leaves it in the jaws of the pocket(while needing 1 to win)Sigel needs 7,Sigel runs 7 to tie it up at 2-2,then Mike breaks and runs out to win the 1pocket plus the set, Tom and i talk about this the other day and this is how we both remembering it happening, but it was very long time ago,take care bud!

Shaky1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have taken a few lessons from Mike at Champions.
He is a good man in my opinion. I have learned a lot about strategy and pattern play from him. The man can still play too! :wink:

Island Drive

Silver Member
Wasn't correcting you Bill. I was adding to what you said by quoting how Grady took the phrase to the next level. Anytime he noticed Sigel or Strickland chirping at a railbird, he would reference that person as "the designated yes man."

That was one of his funny catch phrases.

It's all Good....
I know, just funning, it's the common 'head bangning' icon I picked up from Brumback on the one pkt forum (John always seems to enjoy banging round objects against somthing else, go figure;)... it's all in fun, and I can can hear Grady's nostril/vocal additive of ''designated'' yes man with his signture giggle. :)))

Last edited:

Island Drive

Silver Member
Yes an local player as in Cigar Tom Vanover,had everything that a touring pro had and then some,if Tom wasnt so much of a dedicated family man and chose the road and big tournaments over being a great supporting working family man,with out a doubt, he would of been right up there with the best of them,NOWS THAT JUST NOT MY WORDS, THATS WHAT BUDDY HALL TOLD TOM AT THE LAST US OPEN TOM HAD PLAYED IN!

I also remember Vanover, doing a break and run out session of 9 w/o letting his opponet to the table, could of been 7 but kinda remember the 9 in match play.

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also remember Vanover, doing a break and run out session of 9 w/o letting his opponet to the table, could of been 7 but kinda remember the 9 in match play.

That would be Toms older brother BOB Vanover,they were and still are the best brothers ever to play pool!

metallicane

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Absolutely... I still stop up to see John Carter from time to time. I saw his Balabushka recently too.