Mini cut off saw use for cue building

Chris Abaya Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does.anyone here use a mini cutoff tool for cuemaking? I saw a Proxxon KGS 80 mini miter saw for sale. It is a good deal and I can use it to cut metal pins or wood dowels for cues. I am sure it is better than my crappy harbor freight mini cut off saw that struggles to cut softwood dowels.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Small 10" band saw with metal blade for cutting phenolic, wood, aluminum and brass rods/screws.
You can't use that to cut METAL screws. Need a chop saw for that .
OR air cut-off tool.

Chris Abaya Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why can't I use it for cutting metal screws? It is able to make clean cuts on non ferrous metals. Phenolics should cut easily and cleanly with this.

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why can't I use it for cutting metal screws? It is able to make clean cuts on non ferrous metals. Phenolics should cut easily and cleanly with this.

In their blab, they show a fibre reinforced cut off wheel, so that should be able to cut off pins etc. They also show carbide teeth saws, but not sure what the tpi of those are. Seems like a nice little unit. I don't know how well it will cut off a pin, but like anything, if you take it slow and don't burn it,I assume it will be fine. It has some nice features, like being able to adjust the saw laterally for the position, and the swing away end stop is also nice to have.
A friend has another brand of the mini drop saw that he uses for model making. Looking at the Proxxon, it seems that Ian's is a cheap copy.

I have a Ryobi 18v small drop saw, so I should be able to put a little vice on one side, and make it adjustable in it's position to achieve a similar result for cutting things for model plane making and other wood work/cue things.
Lol Oneday someone will come on here and use it for cutting off tips or something like that.

Chris Abaya Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The saw comes with carbide blade and it is able to cut materials like wood, plastic, aluminum and even brass. I saw a youtube video of this guy cutting 1 inch solid aluminum square and also brass using the standard blade and he says it cuts smoother than a metal bandsaw.

I am going to get that fiber reinforced cutoff blade to cut stainless steel pins.

For $40 bucks and the item being brand new and unused, I couldn"t pass up on the deal.