Mitch Lawrence

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
sjm said:
Drawing this conclusion isn't really fair, at least not with respect to WPBA programming. The quality of the televised pro pool product, for the most part, has very little to do with ESPN production values.

The WPBA pays for its own productions. As WPBA tournament director Steve Tipton often notes, the ESPN annual budget for pool is zero. For the WPBA, having to fund their own productions with a fairly modest production budget limits the number of cameras and quality of the staff invloved in that production.

I have always felt and continue to feel that the WPBA productions are exceptional when considered in the context of the production budget. It's easy to overlook or forget that the WPBA foots the tab for pool on TV, paying for its productions and purchasing its programming hours.

To say that ESPN does a crappy job is inaccurate, as they simply show the WPBA-funded productions with which they have been provided. Writing to ESPN about this would not, at least as it relates to WPBA pool, have an impact.

Where ESPN does matter is that they control a) the number of total programing hours available for purchase by pro pool enterprises, and b) the hours during which pro pool is shown, and c) the number of times each televised event is shown (repeated). Pool is being shown in good time slots more and more these days, and I'm quite pleased about it, and I think ESPN deserves some credit for this.

I respect your opinion but respectfully disagree. Bottom line, the WPBA is NOT getting a good value for their money. I am quite familiar with the production values of these shows, and it is lacking in my opinion.

ESPN Pool productions are mediocre in terms of the Direction, Camera Work, Editing, Commentary, etc. Thankfully, when Ewa is doing commentary, she is quite capable, as is Dawn Hopkins as well. Overall I give these shows a C rating at best.

Accu-Stats productions on the other hand, get the most out of their limited production budgets. I give them a B+ for good camera work, excellent direction, interesting commentary, and of course, full length matches.

Accu-stats could do a better job (and make a better show) for less money! And it would look better too!

pocketspeed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
swfan said:
Jay,
I've tried to watch the WPBA on ESPN and I just can't sit and watch the match when the crowd applauds after every shot. A player can shoot a straight in 3 foot shot and the crowd claps like they just won the match. I can't take it so I just don't watch it. I can see an applause for a good tough shot, but clapping after every shot is rediculous and it just shows the audience's lack of knowledge of the game.

you may have never been to a WPBA tournament, but basically the audience (who tend to VERY knowledgable) is told by mr tipton to be a "good audience" and aplaud for every shot. this is suppose to make the tv event more exciting to the non pool playing viewers i guess:rolleyes:

brian

elvicash

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think pool announcers need to know the game. TV needs to get rid of the dummy in the booth. There is nothing like that in any other sport. They make a big deal out of simple shots (easy jump or draw) and ignore the leave on a real tough touch shot.

I think when an announcer is talking they should have the knowledge whether they play well or not, look at Bob Costas he knows the sports he announces even though he is not a champion.

If the primary announcer is not a player he should at least speak knowledgably about the game and about the history of the game.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
elvicash said:
I think pool announcers need to know the game. TV needs to get rid of the dummy in the booth. There is nothing like that in any other sport. They make a big deal out of simple shots (easy jump or draw) and ignore the leave on a real tough touch shot.

I think when an announcer is talking they should have the knowledge whether they play well or not, look at Bob Costas he knows the sports he announces even though he is not a champion.

If the primary announcer is not a player he should at least speak knowledgably about the game and about the history of the game.

There are very few announcers in the NFL that are NOT players, hummmmmmmm, there must be a LOGICAL reason, wonder what it is???????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
pocketspeed said:
swfan said:
Jay,
I've tried to watch the WPBA on ESPN and I just can't sit and watch the match when the crowd applauds after every shot. A player can shoot a straight in 3 foot shot and the crowd claps like they just won the match. I can't take it so I just don't watch it. I can see an applause for a good tough shot, but clapping after every shot is rediculous and it just shows the audience's lack of knowledge of the game.

you may have never been to a WPBA tournament, but basically the audience (who tend to VERY knowledgable) is told by mr tipton to be a "good audience" and aplaud for every shot. this is suppose to make the tv event more exciting to the non pool playing viewers i guess:rolleyes:

brian

He actually doesn't tell them to applaud on every shot
but he tells them to show enthusiasm etc. Somehow the crowd feels this is the way to go. Anyway the forced applause doesn't generate excitement in the least. In fact i think more people tune out cause they think they "don't get it".

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
jay helfert said:
I respect your opinion but respectfully disagree. Bottom line, the WPBA is NOT getting a good value for their money. I am quite familiar with the production values of these shows, and it is lacking in my opinion.

ESPN Pool productions are mediocre in terms of the Direction, Camera Work, Editing, Commentary, etc. Thankfully, when Ewa is doing commentary, she is quite capable, as is Dawn Hopkins as well. Overall I give these shows a C rating at best.

Accu-Stats productions on the other hand, get the most out of their limited production budgets. I give them a B+ for good camera work, excellent direction, interesting commentary, and of course, full length matches.

Accu-stats could do a better job (and make a better show) for less money! And it would look better too!

Thanks for your post, Jay.

No doubt, the matter of whether the WPBA gets its moneys worth from its self-funded productions is a debatable matter, and we'll agree to disagree on that point.

Still, I think the more important point that I'm making is that ESPN's influence over the pool productions is minimal, and that if I were writing a letter to ESPN, my focus would be on the areas where they have a huge influence on pro pool telecasts, and that would be a) the level of access to programming hours, b) the time slots given to pool telelcasts, and c) the number of times they repeat each of the telecasts (which influences the value sponsors get for their money).

There are so many ways in which ESPN can advance the cause of pro pool.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
sjm said:
Thanks for your post, Jay.

No doubt, the matter of whether the WPBA gets its moneys worth from its self-funded productions is a debatable matter, and we'll agree to disagree on that point.

Still, I think the more important point that I'm making is that ESPN's influence over the pool productions is minimal, and that if I were writing a letter to ESPN, my focus would be on the areas where they have a huge influence on pro pool telecasts, and that would be a) the level of access to programming hours, b) the time slots given to pool telelcasts, and c) the number of times they repeat each of the telecasts (which influences the value sponsors get for their money).

There are so many ways in which ESPN can advance the cause of pro pool.

The higher ups at ESPN pick the production team. The same guy has been doing these shows for years. Years ago I attempted to make some suggestions how to make the shows better, and was summarily dismissed. Believe me the WPBA pays a pretty penny for this drivel. It could be SO MUCH BETTER!

Given the talent on the WPBT, with a regular weekly one and half hour time slot, you could watch a full length Race To Nine. And if somehow the powers that be decided to show same day coverage of the Finals of a Tour event, it might actually begin to get ratings.

Who really cares that much about watching the BCA Open a month after the matches have been played? We all know who won. Pool is treated like the poor stepchild on ESPN! They play a Race To Eleven for five days (the men) and then the final two matches are a Race To Seven. What fool agreed to this? I'll tell you who. Someone who didn't give a sh-t about Pool.

Years ago, ESPN covered the Los Angeles Open 9-Ball Championship that I produced. They asked me about shortening the matches for TV. I told them NO WAY. We had a spirited discussion and I told them they can take their cameras and go home (I was bluffing). It worked though, and we got full length matches. Of course, they edited them anyway to fit a one hour time slot. But at least the players got to play a real match, and not some abbreviated version.

How about a Golf tournament where the last day, they play 14 holes. Or a basketball game with only three quarters. Yes, I don't like it, and I'm letting it all hang out here. Everyone says Pool doesn't work on TV. WRONG! It just doesn't work here the way it is shown. It works quite well all over the rest of the globe. Just ask Barry Hearn of Matchroom Sports.

If I shook someone's tree, too bad. I'm sick of the way this great and difficult sport is portrayed in the USA. Shame on ESPN and the WPBT for allowing it. And some blame can go to the BCA too. There's enough blame to spread around. Pool has been butchered on television in the United States.

I don't much care for the gimmick shows either. At least the trick shot shows have some talent that is showcased. I never liked the Two set Race To Five format and then a One game Playoff. Cmon, what a joke. Why not just play two out of three sets. Just as exciting and infinitely more fair.

I guess I've managed to piss off everyone producing Pool on TV in the U.S. And you know what? That's a good thing.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
jay helfert said:
The higher ups at ESPN pick the production team. The same guy has been doing these shows for years. Years ago I attempted to make some suggestions how to make the shows better, and was summarily dismissed. Believe me the WPBA pays a pretty penny for this drivel. It could be SO MUCH BETTER!

Given the talent on the WPBT, with a regular weekly one and half hour time slot, you could watch a full length Race To Nine. And if somehow the powers that be decided to show same day coverage of the Finals of a Tour event, it might actually begin to get ratings.

Who really cares that much about watching the BCA Open a month after the matches have been played? We all know who won. Pool is treated like the poor stepchild on ESPN! They play a Race To Eleven for five days (the men) and then the final two matches are a Race To Seven. What fool agreed to this? I'll tell you who. Someone who didn't give a sh-t about Pool.

Years ago, ESPN covered the Los Angeles Open 9-Ball Championship that I produced. They asked me about shortening the matches for TV. I told them NO WAY. We had a spirited discussion and I told them they can take their cameras and go home (I was bluffing). It worked though, and we got full length matches. Of course, they edited them anyway to fit a one hour time slot. But at least the players got to play a real match, and not some abbreviated version.

How about a Golf tournament where the last day, they play 14 holes. Or a basketball game with only three quarters. Yes, I don't like it, and I'm letting it all hang out here. Everyone says Pool doesn't work on TV. WRONG! It just doesn't work here the way it is shown. It works quite well all over the rest of the globe. Just ask Barry Hearn of Matchroom Sports.

If I shook someone's tree, too bad. I'm sick of the way this great and difficult sport is portrayed in the USA. Shame on ESPN and the WPBT for allowing it. And some blame can go to the BCA too. There's enough blame to spread around. Pool has been butchered on television in the United States.

I don't much care for the gimmick shows either. At least the trick shot shows have some talent that is showcased. I never liked the Two set Race To Five format and then a One game Playoff. Cmon, what a joke. Why not just play two out of three sets. Just as exciting and infinitely more fair.

I guess I've managed to piss off everyone producing Pool on TV in the U.S. And you know what? That's a good thing.

Great post, Jay.

Actually, you highlighted one aspect of ESPN's influence that I had completely overlooked, which is match length and race format, which are often entirely at ESPN's discretion.

Finally, I agee that shaking the tree is a good thing. This points you make should be out in the open.

Thanks for all your insights on this most interesting subject.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
jay helfert said:

Excellent, excellent, excellent post. I agree with every word of it.

DelaWho???

Banger McCue
Silver Member
jay helfert said:

Worth reading again....Some folks do real well when they get up on the soapbox. Keep fighting the good fight Jay

McCUe Banger McCue

vagabond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don Mackey opposed it

jay helfert said:
They play a Race To Eleven for five days (the men) and then the final two matches are a Race To Seven. What fool agreed to this? I'll tell you who. Someone who didn't give a sh-t about Pool.

QUOTE]

Jay,
when he was the commissioner of PBT Don Mackey thought that the race to 7 was a ``Gong show`` and he was NOT going to allow the Mens pro pool turn into a ``Gong Show`` and as a result the relationship between ESPN and Mens Pro Pool were severed for many years.Don did ,in a way ,cared for pro pool .:cool: