Mosconi Cup is a joke

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In terms of land mass, the United States and Europe are similar in size—the United States is 9,833,000 square kilometers while Europe is 10,180,000 square kilometers. Granted Europe has a higher population but comparing the size difference between the two is a ignorant argument.

Hello Pot, meet kettle.

He never said Europe picks their team from the dirt, from the land mass. He said the team was picked from the whole of Europe...quite obviously the whole of the people of Europe. The "of the people" was left out, because it's obvious and unnecessary for most readers.

Perhaps you meant to quote a different part or Hobo's post, because what you say sounds a bit ridiculous in reference to the part you did quote.

KMRUNOUT

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Justin Bergman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nobody puts on events like Matchroom. They are all exciting for the fans, pay fairly well for the players, etc. I know they have to make it short races but that’s my only real negative thing I can say. Race to 5 isn’t even a legitimate match. Race to 21 nine ball is a match. Even race to 9 or 11 is really a crap shoot at the top 100 level. That’s the truth and no way anyone can say otherwise.

As far as USA needs Canada to win, I think that’s a joke. That’s like saying next year let’s make it handicapped lol. Europe should just give us the 7 ball or 4 points on the wire. Either you get better or keep losing. That’s how professionals should be in s sport. I also don’t think it would ha e the same buzz/excitement about it. I know relatives and friends of mine that literally hate pool, know nothing about it, and couldnt care less if they met the best players in the world but a lot of them are glued to the tv to watch the Mosconi Cup. They are rooting for their country. If they change that then I think the event would go downhill real fast.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Nobody puts on events like Matchroom. They are all exciting for the fans, pay fairly well for the players, etc. I know they have to make it short races but that’s my only real negative thing I can say. Race to 5 isn’t even a legitimate match. Race to 21 nine ball is a match. Even race to 9 or 11 is really a crap shoot at the top 100 level. That’s the truth and no way anyone can say otherwise.

As far as USA needs Canada to win, I think that’s a joke. That’s like saying next year let’s make it handicapped lol. Europe should just give us the 7 ball or 4 points on the wire. Either you get better or keep losing. That’s how professionals should be in s sport. I also don’t think it would ha e the same buzz/excitement about it. I know relatives and friends of mine that literally hate pool, know nothing about it, and couldnt care less if they met the best players in the world but a lot of them are glued to the tv to watch the Mosconi Cup. They are rooting for their country. If they change that then I think the event would go downhill real fast.

Excellent post. Committing ourselves to getting better is the ONLY answer.

Hobo

Banned
As far as USA needs Canada to win, I think that’s a joke. That’s like saying next year let’s make it handicapped lol. Europe should just give us the 7 ball or 4 points on the wire. Either you get better or keep losing. That’s how professionals should be in s sport.

If there is a team Europe then why can't there be a team North America??? I don't understand what you are trying to say...US should get better??? Handicapped??? It already is Handicapped because the US is a country playing an entire continent. Maybe the Europeans should get better so they can actually form a team from their respective countries instead of stacking a team from all of Europe.

I know you guys that post here regularly are pool fans. But in the gambling world,no american pool player other than shane,are ever gonna play a phillipino pool player even for the cash in 9-10 ball. Bergman has even said that here. If you "do not understand that" then you haven't gambled much or seen many pinoys play for the money. Any American knows they need weight playing any top 10 phillipino ( chua,biado,gomez,cortezza, etc...) no American will EVER ,play these guys even.

That's ridiculous.You don't see one plumber ask another plumber to lower his prices so he can compete. No different in pool...if you are a pro you don't take weight from anyone...if you do then stop calling yourself a pro.

Last edited:

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Mosconi cup is a private event put on by Matchroom Sports. They are in it to make money period. The television audience from the US and Europe is huge and that is what they are after. They decide on the formats that make them the most money. This is not an event that is put on by the World Pool-Billiard Association (WPA) or the World Confederation of Billiard Sports (WCBS). It is not an "exhibition" as you would like to call it because it does not fall under the auspices of a true international organization (such as soccer and FIFA). Matchroom Sports already has a World Cup of Pool (doubles teams) as well as World Pool Masters (single players) that pits country against country. But those are not representative either as players and teams and therefore countries are invited and selected by Matchroom Sports by their own criteria and, as such, there is no qualifying process. If you want to argue about a country versus country format you should take your argument to the WPA and WCBS who would also be affiliated with the International Olympic Committee (IOC). If the organize such an event, only then would you see a true country versus country format.

The World Cup of Pool does actually have qualifying, however Matchroom also seed the teams, so the top teams don’t have to qualify, but less promenant pool playing nations do have to win a few matches to get to the tv stages.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The 9 ball World Championships from1999 until 2007 (which were all run by Matchroom) were decided by a final race to 17. All the others have been a race to 13 max. Maybe Matchroom understands that some tournaments (e.g. World Championships) need longer races and some (e.g.Mosconi Cup) need shorter races. Barry Hearn has certainly got this right in snooker where the higher profile ranking events have longer races and the more gimmicky events have shorter races. Seems like a good way to please the audience (potential and actual) as a whole. Yes luck plays a bigger factor in shorter races but you still have to play well enough to ride it. If you ask me, the WPA should say to Matchroom, "we will be the governing body, you go ahead and do everything else".

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

Good post Justin. I'd pick you first for my team! :thumbup:
I wouldn't care how many tournaments you had been playing in. All I'd ask is that you get yourself in stroke and be ready to play. You can take care of the rest. We need guys who are motivated and know how to win. The one thing I would ask of you is to not deride the short races, but to accept this is how the match will be played and do your best with that format.

In a short race every game is critically important as you know and one mistake can cost you the match. My observation is that even in these very short matches, both players (or two man teams) have an opportunity to take control of the match. It's the player or team who takes advantage of that opportunity that usually wins. I think if you're honest, you will agree that in Team USA's losses we have failed to take advantage of the opportunities presented to us on many occasions in many matches.

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member
If there is a team Europe then why can't there be a team North America??? I don't understand what you are trying to say...US should get better??? Handicapped??? It already is Handicapped because the US is a country playing an entire continent. Maybe the Europeans should get better so they can actually form a team from their respective countries instead of stacking a team from all of Europe.

That's ridiculous.You don't see one plumber ask another plumber to lower his prices so he can compete. No different in pool...if you are a pro you don't take weight from anyone...if you do then stop calling yourself a pro.

You need a plumber, to shovel all the sh*t you've been spewing.

Attachments

• 7938884179e5eaec62f40b2895a9a8c2--the-doors-front-doors.jpg
    7938884179e5eaec62f40b2895a9a8c2--the-doors-front-doors.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 140

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good post Justin. I'd pick you first for my team! :thumbup:
I wouldn't care how many tournaments you had been playing in. All I'd ask is that you get yourself in stroke and be ready to play. You can take care of the rest. We need guys who are motivated and know how to win. The one thing I would ask of you is to not deride the short races, but to accept this is how the match will be played and do your best with that format.

In a short race every game is critically important as you know and one mistake can cost you the match. My observation is that even in these very short matches, both players (or two man teams) have an opportunity to take control of the match. It's the player or team who takes advantage of that opportunity that usually wins. I think if you're honest, you will agree that in Team USA's losses we have failed to take advantage of the opportunities presented to us on many occasions in many matches.

Oh....And make sure they work on their lags and safety battles! We have been dominated in those two areas!

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
It's the player or team who takes advantage of that opportunity that usually wins. I think if you're honest, you will agree that in Team USA's losses we have failed to take advantage of the opportunities presented to us on many occasions in many matches.

Right on. The openings were abundant in the 2017 Mosconi Cup, but America failed to capitalize on sooooo many good chances. There's MORE pressure in short races, and one's mettle may be tested to the max. The short race can be pooh poohed, but America needs to embrace it the way Europe has.