Mosconi Cup Team Announced

the Professor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the team except for Bergman. He comes across as not a good representative for the US. I have seen him wear a hoodie at Jim Rempe's 14.1 HOF induction and while on the live stream of a major bar box event constantly smoking and hammering beers like it was league night. I may be wrong but it seems like he has a lot of growing up to do in 6 weeks. I would have picked Sossei!

Wedge

Ive spent a lot of time around Justin and think he will be a fantastic representative for the US. I've never seen him be anything but respectful and personable to people… and never seen him be anything except a beast on the table.

the Professor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John hasn't been playing that much but I'm sure he'd still swim through a river of shit to match up with any of the guys in red

I'm thinking you should probably put Skyler in red… if they played on a nine foot table… and I'm not knocking Skyler at all, he is fantastic and is going to get nothing but better.. but I don't think he an matchup with John on a 9ft table.

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Perhaps I posted this in the wrong thread:

Well, I'm going to have to preface my remarks with this. I like John Schmidt a lot and I'm always pleased to see him. He has always treated me with respect and friendship. He's a quality guy for sure and I'm always happy to offer some sponsorship money to both the Derby City 14.1 Challenge and the World 14.1 event every year to see the best straight pool players, and John is one of the ones I most look forward to seeing play each year at these events.

.... but seriously, John's selection as one of the Mosconi 8 in March came as an absolute shock. How, I wondered, could somebody who did nothing at the 2014 Derby City Classic and who earned just $675 in rotation pool in 2013 per the AZB records, and who hadn't been much of a factor in rotation pool events for about four years, have even been a candidate for the team at all?

Apparently, he was not only chosen for the Mosconi 8 in March but also the Mosconi 5, for as his play since then (per the AZB records) in rotation pool tournament play didn't earn him a single penny, he certainly didn't climb into the Mosconi 5 on competitive merit.

John didn't beat a single player of note in rotation pool this year, and his sporadic participation in tournaments this year spoke volumes about how much he hoped to move forward during 2014. By comparison, in competition, Sossei has wins over Vandenberg, Ouschan, Eberle, Dechaine, Van Boening, Strickland, and some other top players in 2014.

I'm not sure John is one of America's top 20 in rotation pool right now. FYI, here is a list of nineteen guys I'd favor over him:

Shane Van Boening
Mike Dechaine
Jereny Sossei
Robb Saez
Donny Mills
Max Eberle
Shawn Wilkie
Brandon Shuff
Justin Bergman
Rodney Morris
Justin Hall
Corey Deuel
Josh Roberts
Chris Bartram
Sky Woodward
Ealr Strickland
Tom D'Alfonso
Joey Gray
Dennis Hatch

Incidentally, I'd put a Joss Tour Team of Dechaine, Sossei, Strickland, D'Alfonso and Shaw againt this Mosconi 5 and expect a pretty even match. All five of these Joss Tour regulars cashed in the US Open and three of them had top 5 finishes at Turning Stone. Yeah, I know, one of them is from Scotland.

Personally, I find the omission of all Joss tour players from this team to be an insult to pool in the Northeast. These are some of America's best, and many of them play both the Joss and Predator Tours. Where in the country do you find players who compete this often? The answer is nowhere, and that's a big part of why they were all ready when the US Open 9-ball event came along.

And, in case anyone thinks otherwise, Sossei is every bit the team player that John Schmidt is. Jeremy is a quality guy who is very well liked. I'll wish the Mosconi 5 the best of luck, but the inclusion of Schmidt, whose competitive resume is unimpressive in this decade, is a joke as I see it, unless John's superb US Open commentary somehow figured in the process.

To Shane, Bergman, Hall and Deuel, congrats on making the team. You were all very deserving. To John, good luck, too, but this was an opportunity you didn't earn --- try to make the most of it. If you do, I'll be one of the first to congratulate you.

Johnny Archer should be at the top of that list and on the team also.

smashmouth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Schmidt is disgustingly talented, attitude i dont think is the best though

does that REALLY matter on a pool table btw in a "team" event?

his talent level is in the upper echelons of world beaters imo, very very upper echelons

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like this team and I like Mark's picks, a good mix of vets and young guns. I see Shane as the anchor this year, someone who must lead by example. As Shane goes, so goes Team USA. I think both Corey and John can act as mentors to JB and JH, thus forming good two man teams.

They may not win (yes they are big underdogs) but I wouldn't be surprised at all if it is very close. Even an upset is possible. I also like that Mark is keeping the other three team members (not picked) involved. He has created the framework for a strong and cohesive team. I agree about John not playing that much this year, but I know that he will be preparing in earnest for the Mosconi, and this is a guy who can shoot with the best of them!

It should be an interesting and exciting Mosconi Cup this year and I don't want to miss any of it.

This is exactly how how feel ,, between Cory and John who both have not played up to their former levels , there is no denying thier talent both have played at a extremely high level when they give it thier all Cory in particular who I think just fools around experimenting at times and many thought he would be the next Earl before Shane ,I think Mark can harness these 2 who also are great representers of the game
I think it's a wait and see and give the guy a chance before we jump to conclusions

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
This is exactly how how feel ,, between Cory and John who both have not played up to their former levels , there is no denying thier talent both have played at a extremely high level when they give it thier all Cory in particular who I think just fools around experimenting at times and many thought he would be the next Earl before Shane ,I think Mark can harness these 2 who also are great representers of the game
I think it's a wait and see and give the guy a chance before we jump to conclusions

LOL, putting Corey in John's league is an insult to Corey:

At the two biggest 9-ball events on the US pool calendar in 2014:

Corey: 13th at Derby City, 17th at the US Open

John: Did not cash at Derby City, did not cash at the US Open

Corey has some credentials to be on this team, John has shown no form of any kind in rotation pool events in recent years.

theoneandonly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I

Have to agree with a lot of what SJM is saying through out this entire thread. I feel tournament results should have something to do with picking the mosconi cup members. I believe that is how a few of the European members are picked. I wish that they never changed the system that was in place a few years back with making the team. Regardless I wish the team the best of luck. I will be watching, and rooting 100%. Still think it is quit ridiculous that Dechaine is not on the team, the kid has proven he has got game.

markgw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, but they are playing 9-ball and he is a former U.S. Open 9-ball Championship
winner in 2006.
He was the last player to win before the Shane, Mika, and Darren years.
Out of the last 8 years Shane (4) has won it 50% of the time, with the only others
to win being Mika (2) and Darren (2)

He's also won 10 Ball events as well like Hopkins Expo event not to mention DCC winning the One Pocket beating Scott Frost in the finals so he does play most other games besides straight pool.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
He's also won 10 Ball events as well like Hopkins Expo event not to mention DCC winning the One Pocket beating Scott Frost in the finals so he does play most other games besides straight pool.

Yes, and none of it in this decade. Noboy questions that John was one of the best in 2005-2009, but the 2010's have been lean years for him.

markgw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Corey has some credentials to be on this team, John has shown no form of any kind in rotation pool events in recent years.

John Schmidt beat Corey in their last all around when they matched up on TAR. One of the disciplines was 10 Ball so I'm not understanding why it would be an insult to Corey to be considered to be in Johns league. He also beat Corey in the finals at the Expo in the 10 ball event. This statement makes very little sense???

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
John Schmidt beat Corey in their last all around when they matched up on TAR. One of the disciplines was 10 Ball so I'm not understanding why it would be an insult to Corey to be considered to be in Johns league. He also beat Corey in the finals at the Expo in the 10 ball event. This statement makes very little sense???

Again, John beat Corey in 2009 in the final at Super Billiards Expo. Ancient history. FYI, that final was decided by a skid late in the double hill rack that cost Corey the title. Their TAR match was also years and years ago.

Maybe we should put Mike Sigel on the team. He also won titles but, just like John's, they were so long ago nobody can remember them.

Finally, if the Mosconi were an all-around match, including nine ball, one pocket and straight pool, I'd want John on the team. He's a fine all around player, but the Mosconi is 9-ball, in which he has shown nothing in this decade.

Perhaps one day the Mosconi will be an all-around. I think I'd enjoy it.

Richardson

Who me ?
Silver Member
I posted this in the other thread also.

There is more to building a *TEAM* than individual skills. I hope they do well!

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

No what's laughable is you not understanding John has won a US Open ,, you don't do that by accident and running over 300 on a diamond within the last yr obviously shows he still has Skills recently ,,,I'm more than sure his rotation game can be honed in with the help of Mark

markgw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Again, John beat Corey in 2009 in the final at Super Billiards Expo. Ancient history. FYI, that final was decided by a skid late in the double hill rack that cost Corey the title. Their TAR match was also years and years ago.

Maybe we should put Mike Sigel on the team. He also won titles but, just like John's, they were so long ago nobody can remember them.

Finally, if the Mosconi were an all-around match, including nine ball, one pocket and straight pool, I'd want John on the team. He's a fine all around player, but the Mosconi is 9-ball, in which he has shown nothing in this decade.

Perhaps one day the Mosconi will be an all-around. I think I'd enjoy it.

I would hardly consider July 2012 years and years ago. Regardless weather you think Corey is in Johns league or not, I am waving the USA flag high and rooting for our team to do well.. Good luck to your team��BTW in the TAR match with Corey in 2012 there was no straight pool and John won. There were no deciding skids either. He's been on the Mosconi Cup team once and they won also...

Last edited:

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
I would have to agree with SJM that Schmidt is the strange choice of the group. He doesn't possess a big 9 ball break or known for understanding the break (see Corey). This was one of the big qualities that I thought were going to be looked at for a team member of this year's team. And not only has he not had any top finishes, he has also shown little interest in pool the past 5 years.

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John Schmidt? Is straight pool involved this year?

Well, I have to say congratulations to those picked by Mr. Wilson.
It's HIS decision and I respect it.

However, as j_zippel, might be implying, I completely disagree with John Schmidt as
a pick.
Previous championships and a "Big Break" are only a few of the metrics being used to choose these guys.
What was the most important factor from my impression of digesting all the Mosconi news is that the pick needed to
possess certain intangibles. You all can figure out what that means. Schmidt doesn't have all those intangibles, sorry.

IMO opinion, for one, Schmidt does NOT have the correct temperament for this particular
Mosconi format. All the others, were spot-on great choices.

Although I would have chosen Oscar D. over Schmidt any day,
I believe Oscar wasn't chosen because he is busy with his West Coast Mezz Tour.
(Not 100% on that one). Nonetheless, I'm telling you all right now, Schmidt
is NOT the best pick of the remaining players for THIS MOSCONI FORMAT.

Enough said. Good luck to our Team U.S.A.!!!!

Last edited:

markgw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, I have to say congratulations to those picked by Mr. Wilson.
It's HIS decision and I respect it.

However, as j_zippel, might be implying, I completely disagree with John Schmidt as
a pick.
Previous championships and a "Big Break" are only a few of the metrics being used to choose these guys.
What was the most important factor from my impression of digesting all the Mosconi news is that the pick needed to
possess certain intangibles. You all can figure out what that means. Schmidt doesn't have all those intangibles, sorry.

IMO opinion, for one, Schmidt does NOT have the correct temperament for this particular
Mosconi format. All the others, were spot-on great choices.

Although I would have chosen Oscar D. over Schmidt any day,
I believe Oscar wasn't chosen because he is busy with his West Coast Mezz Tour.
(Not 100% on that one). Nonetheless, I'm telling you all right now, Schmidt
is NOT the best pick of the remaining players for THIS MOSCONI FORMAT.

Enough said. Good luck to our Team U.S.A.!!!!

The last time John was on the Mosconi cup team they won. Hoping for two for two.

GO USA!!!!!!!!

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
No what's laughable is you not understanding John has won a US Open ,, you don't do that by accident and running over 300 on a diamond within the last yr obviously shows he still has Skills recently ,,,I'm more than sure his rotation game can be honed in with the help of Mark

Yes, he'd belong if the discipline were straight pool, but this year, even 14.1 didn't go well for John. He did not qualify for the final eight at the Derby City 14.1 challenge, and he came 17th in the World 14.1 event, same as Bergman and Sossei and worse than Deuel, Archer, Dechaine, Eberle and Shane.

On what basis are you confident that John will find his game within the next month? Mark named John to his "Mosconi 8" about seven moths ago. There is no visible progress in John's rotation pool game, as shown by his failure to cash in August at the Steinway Classic 10-ball and his failure to cash in the US Open 9-ball.

Like you, I like John and want him to succeed, but let's not suggest that he's done anything of note in 9 and 10 ball competition since 2009. Maybe he will turn the clock back, but he needs to turn it back a full five years.

Wishing him luck.