Mosconi Cup USA Selection changed.

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
This was from an article about the way the U.S. Team would be picked. Do you really think they are trying to state that players have to be from the U.S. to be on the U.S. Team. Wouldn't that go without saying ?

Somebody contact Matchroom for a clarification - I got $50 they meant US citizen.

There is going to be one set of points/rankings for Europe. And another set of points/ranking for the US. So if SVB gets first in a tourney and Bergman is the next American and he gets 10th place in the event, Bergman would get the 2nd place ranking points for the event under the US rankings. I believe that is what they were trying to convey in their statement 'Players eligible for Team USA'.

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
The important part is that it says 3 players will be SELECTED from the 32. It does NOT say that the 3 top finishers will be selected.

Jaden

That is true as well.

Either this was the most poorly written press release ever - and this being pool that is the most likely scenario - or Matchroom left a lot of vagueness in the process still.

bfdlad

T-Wheels
Silver Member
The important part is that it says 3 players will be SELECTED from the 32. It does NOT say that the 3 top finishers will be selected.

Jaden

I can't remember what it actually said off the top of my head but I take your word that that is how it was "Stated" I think that they mean to say the top three. I would be amazed if it meant different. Because it just would mean no real difference to hand picking That's my take and educated/uneducated guess. I hope you are wrong.

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
MATCHROOM SPORT can announce that the selection process for Team USA at the 22ndannual PartyPoker Mosconi Cup will revert to rankings as well as wild cards. This follows two consecutive years when the side was handpicked.

The Mosconi Cup will be taking place from 7th to 10th December at a prestige venue in the USA, to be announced in the coming weeks.

The first points tournament to take place in the schedule of events is the 9 Ball competition at the Derby City Classic which gets underway this weekend at the Horseshoe in Indiana. Players eligible for Team USA, who finish in the top 32, will be awarded points on a sliding scale.

The full calendar of qualifying events as well as the points system to be used will be announced in due course. There will be three players selected from the ranking list as well as two wildcards, and all will be confirmed around the end of October. Ranking lists will be published on www.matchroompool.com as well as the Facebook page and Twitter feed of the Mosconi Cup.

Tickets for the 2015 PartyPoker Mosconi Cup will be available soon.

leto1776

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To quote myself from a similar thread:

If the three "selected" end up being anything other than the top three American players, then Matchroom shows that this is nothing but a big f'ing joke, which I'm beginning to suspect more and more.

real bartram

Real Cold Steel
Silver Member
Somebody contact Matchroom for a clarification - I got $50 they meant US citizen.

There is going to be one set of points/rankings for Europe. And another set of points/ranking for the US. So if SVB gets first in a tourney and Bergman is the next American and he gets 10th place in the event, Bergman would get the 2nd place ranking points for the event under the US rankings. I believe that is what they were trying to convey in their statement 'Players eligible for Team USA'.

Watchez is the teacher

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good change
This is more objective and there will be less whining, less shouting with using rankings to determine . Same like Team Europe
Also lessens pressure on Team Captain so he does not use arbitrariy subjective measures
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"...and there will be less whining, less shouting with using rankings to determine..."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, we can safely assume you have never met a pool player.

Dale

fat Albert

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Krupa glad to know you must have started your period today if you need a few extra napkins let me know I have a few used ones you can have

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
I think that come time for the Voting, there will be a few players logging into AZ and playing nice, nice until the Voting is over.

Not to see them again until the next year.

So, start a Thread saying that anyone that thinks that they may be in need of a Vote, start logging in now and contributing to AZ and the members will decide who gets the Votes in a year.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

"...and there will be less whining, less shouting with using rankings to determine..."

So, we can safely assume you have never met a pool player.

Dale

Well, You may be correct on the 4th BUT when is that 4th one played? (The 2nd Turning Stone}
Also, there has to be some events that are being played over seas. Not sure how many but it seems the Euros are hoping all over the world to their events. We know the USA players are few and far between who go overseas these days. I know some do but not many and they will probably hold the most points. I said China Open as I think more US Players attend that.

The next turning stone is in August. There's always a winter turning stone (which has been anywhere from December to February) and a summer turning stone (ranging from July to September).

I also took it as incentive for American players to go to Europe and play now. If you finished mediocre in turning stone and dcc, you could go to dubai and grab some extra points with a good finish.
And yes, I definitely read it as 3 American players finishing in the top 32 will automatically get spots.

I was wondering if we had 3 in the top 32 before last mosconi, but now that four American events will carry points, the Americans will have a chance to grab some like the euros playing on the euro tour do when they play back home.

The upside to this will only mean positive things for viewing pleasure stateside. I expect the August turning stone to be jam packed with Americans and euros looking for points. And yes, it's unfortunate all of this wasn't announced earlier because I believe some players would've choose DCC over Chinese eight ball.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
3 picks and 2 Wild Card Votes. I probably read that wrong, which is nothing unusual for myself lately. In the past, the Wild Cards were voted for on Match Rooms site, were they not.

if you need a few extra napkins let me know I have a few used ones you can have

Man, that is just Gross, even for me.

What do you use them for, making Soup?

Last edited:

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is legalspeak 101-
"Players eligible for Team USA" does not simply mean US citizens. If they meant US citizens, there would no need to state it. Using the term "eligible" gives them leeway and discretion to exclude certain players with criminal records, those who fail drug test, divas etc. :D Like saying "eligible to be POTUS" , that is not as simple as saying the candidate must be US citizen- there is whole checklist like whether the candidate has criminal record.

"There will be three players selected from the ranking list" is another discretionary clause. Like if Earl is No.1 and Shane is No.5 , then they have discretion to choose Shane over Earl

But overall, still a much better way to choose 3 players - it narrow down the possibilities, not totally objective but more objective than previously
At least we know there will not be circus of players who do not make team being promoted to ministers/deputy coaches/ bag carriers/rack boys/coffee boys :D

pro9dg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's defrosted

PS. I honestly had to go back and check to see if pro9dg had written this article, as the wording sounded so much like you pro9dg, but it was Luke Riches.
You sure you didn't co-author it ? :grin:
I'm here, just for you, amigo

Matchroom can call the shots any way they please but they always try to be fair.
They could have used the same selection system that picks the first three for the European Team.
They have plenty of scope in Europe. The Number One on the Euro Tour gets first spot.
Then they switch to a selected batch of WPA events where players like Shaw. Appleton, Immonen and Hohmann can try for a spot. There are plenty of other Europeans who are WPA Ranked and can use that route. The third spot goes to the player who has the most points from the combined points off both systems.
The US must use a different system because they have so few players on the WPA rankings.
Shane would make that a NO NO anyway
So they have their own Matchroom Ranking System. This is still a pretty weak criteria given the lack of prestige events that are held on US soil. But it is what it is.
Another factor is that the draws for these events could prove critical because leading US players could find their path blocked by Euros, Filipinos and maybe Chinese.
The conspiracy theorists are way off beam. The upcoming DCC results will give you a good indication of who is ineligible and that is only likely to be players from the three groups above.
‘SELECTED’ means that the top three are selected. Any other suggestion is just rabble rousing.
The US players would gain nothing by playing in Europe because the USA MR rankings and the Euro Tour list are not interchangeable. But they could, with a lot of effort, get in through playing the designated WPA tournaments as one of the two wildcards. But they would have to make a big impression
Likewise no player from the above three groups can qualify through the US Rankings.

Last edited: