Moving my shop... Thanks Chris Hightower!

Billiard Architect

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you haven't been following along (yeah you haven't because I post few and far between) I had a Enco lathe that was a pain in the a.. to tool up to do cues. It is not easy dealing with a 1700 lb beast that is in the back of a storage unit that gets to 120 degrees in the summertime here in FL. Anything that I wanted to do with it took serious planning and ended up costly and frustrating (not to mention dangerous and scary).

So fast forward to a month ago when we found out that they will probably be jacking the monthly on the storage unit that the 1700lb beast sits in. We already pay 200 bucks a month for a 10 x 15 with power... Yeah before you get all jealous and sh*t... I did mention it gets to 120 degrees pretty much all day in there. I finally decided it was time to get out of the cue building business...

I know...

I know...

Sad but true. So I posted the 1700lb beast sitting in the back of a 120 degree storage unit that was about to have the $200 monthly price jacked on Offer Up. And wouldn't you know it someone was interested. Woo hoo! So it took around 3 hours to get the 1700lb beast sitting in the back of a 120 degree storage unit who was about to have the $200 monthly price jacked on it that sold on Offer Up loaded on a trailer to head off up north.

I, sitting there with a thick wallet decided to check out what could I purchase with my new found wealth from the 1700lb beast sitting in the back of the 120 degree storage unit who was about to have the $200 monthly priced jacked on it that took 3 hours to load on a trailer to head north. First thing i looked at was cues... and types of cues... joint styles... and what type of tips and then low and behold I ended up on cuesmith.com looking at some less than 100lb lathe beauties that could sit in my air conditioned free of rent billiard/theater room with the proper vacuum and ventilation that I could get to by walking instead of hopping in a car to drive to the 120 degree storage unit that was about to have its $200 monthly price jacked on it.

I called Chris Hightower and told him my plan. It ended up that with the larger headstock and a mid size cuesmith I can do the things I wanted to do with the 1700lb beast that sat in the back of a 120 degree storage unit whose $200 monthly price was about to edge the same direction that took 3 hours to load on a trailer to get there WITH THE TOOLING ALREADY ON THE UNIT! I was giddy! No really... I was truly in a state that could only be described as giddy.

I ordered it today and it will be shipping soon in the future. The greatest thing about this is I bought Chris' cue making book a while back when I was trying to work with the 1700lb beast with all that other stuff and when it said this is much easier on a cuesmith lathe I would jealously read the words wishing I owned one. Well now I soon will.

Thanks Chris!

Tom1234

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you haven't been following along (yeah you haven't because I post few and far between) I had a Enco lathe that was a pain in the a.. to tool up to do cues. It is not easy dealing with a 1700 lb beast that is in the back of a storage unit that gets to 120 degrees in the summertime here in FL. Anything that I wanted to do with it took serious planning and ended up costly and frustrating (not to mention dangerous and scary).

So fast forward to a month ago when we found out that they will probably be jacking the monthly on the storage unit that the 1700lb beast sits in. We already pay 200 bucks a month for a 10 x 15 with power... Yeah before you get all jealous and sh*t... I did mention it gets to 120 degrees pretty much all day in there. I finally decided it was time to get out of the cue building business...

I know...

I know...

Sad but true. So I posted the 1700lb beast sitting in the back of a 120 degree storage unit that was about to have the $200 monthly price jacked on Offer Up. And wouldn't you know it someone was interested. Woo hoo! So it took around 3 hours to get the 1700lb beast sitting in the back of a 120 degree storage unit who was about to have the $200 monthly price jacked on it that sold on Offer Up loaded on a trailer to head off up north.

I, sitting there with a thick wallet decided to check out what could I purchase with my new found wealth from the 1700lb beast sitting in the back of the 120 degree storage unit who was about to have the $200 monthly priced jacked on it that took 3 hours to load on a trailer to head north. First thing i looked at was cues... and types of cues... joint styles... and what type of tips and then low and behold I ended up on cuesmith.com looking at some less than 100lb lathe beauties that could sit in my air conditioned free of rent billiard/theater room with the proper vacuum and ventilation that I could get to by walking instead of hopping in a car to drive to the 120 degree storage unit that was about to have its $200 monthly price jacked on it.

I called Chris Hightower and told him my plan. It ended up that with the larger headstock and a mid size cuesmith I can do the things I wanted to do with the 1700lb beast that sat in the back of a 120 degree storage unit whose $200 monthly price was about to edge the same direction that took 3 hours to load on a trailer to get there WITH THE TOOLING ALREADY ON THE UNIT! I was giddy! No really... I was truly in a state that could only be described as giddy.

I ordered it today and it will be shipping soon in the future. The greatest thing about this is I bought Chris' cue making book a while back when I was trying to work with the 1700lb beast with all that other stuff and when it said this is much easier on a cuesmith lathe I would jealously read the words wishing I owned one. Well now I soon will.

Thanks Chris!
BTW, this will not be the last time you thank Chris. He just got me out of a bind with the controller on my 7 year old Mid Size lathe. He’s a world of help.

Billiard Architect

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So far I have talked with him a couple of times and I get the feeling he is like me and really enjoys talking about building cues and the machinery behind it. So far been friendly and informative. I will try not to bug him too much :)

And yes I am a big fan of getting anything you want... at Alice's restaurant.

middleofnowhere

Registered
So far I have talked with him a couple of times and I get the feeling he is like me and really enjoys talking about building cues and the machinery behind it. So far been friendly and informative. I will try not to bug him too much :)

And yes I am a big fan of getting anything you want... at Alice's restaurant.
Septin Alice,
I want to add, Chris is as nice as they come.

Last edited:

VarmintKong

Cannonball comin’!
Gold Member
Dude, I immediately thought of Alice’s Restaurant as well. Also it only gets played on 98.5 here on Thanksgiving. “Give me blood and guts and veins hangin’ from my teeth!”- that’s my Cleveland Browns tailgate mantra. (Maybe not a mantra. A mantra should be chill, ya know. This is more foaming at the mouth woofing when my rabies kicks in.)

I got the album tho’. Listen to it anytime along with, “I don’t want a pickle, I just want to ride my motorsickle.”

Last edited:

dirtvictim

Ignore the entitled they haven't earned respect
I bought a lathe from chris back in 1998 I think. I used it for several years. Great lathe.