My Cue isn't straight, can it be fixed?

Sarnia Shorty

He's going to the bag
Silver Member
Last night when I was practicing after rolling my cue on the table I noticed quite the wobble. I took it apart and the shaft is fine but when I roll the butt you can see the bend in it.

I am not sure how this happened because it wasn't like this last week but is there anything I can do about it other than getting a new butt?

Tim-n-NM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some would say yes, but i have never seen one fixed to my liking. Plus it is a lot of work it will need to be cut into pieces and even then the chances are slim. Sorry !!

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Last night when I was practicing after rolling my cue on the table I noticed quite the wobble. I took it apart and the shaft is fine but when I roll the butt you can see the bend in it.

I am not sure how this happened because it wasn't like this last week but is there anything I can do about it other than getting a new butt?

There is no easy fix. Don't try to correct the bend with more bending or you'll have an even bigger mess.

On valuable cues, typically a cue maker can replace a handle under a wrap if that's where the warp is. Cost is several hundred dollars. If it's warped in the forearm that won't work.

The good news is you can play with a warped butt. The shaft is far more critical. A warp like this can come up with warm weather, especially humid weather if the cue is prone to warping. It may just go back to normal this winter.

Chris

Sarnia Shorty

He's going to the bag
Silver Member
Its a Joss butt. Its a nice cue but not worth a few hundred bucks to fix. I will keep playing with it for now and maybe with some luck it will straighten itself out. If not I guess I will be looking for another cue, my wife will be so happy. :thumbup:

JCMn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There you go! Just use it as an excuse to get a new cue!!! :smile:

There's no way the wife will see thru that one! LOL

Its a Joss butt. Its a nice cue but not worth a few hundred bucks to fix. I will keep playing with it for now and maybe with some luck it will straighten itself out. If not I guess I will be looking for another cue, my wife will be so happy. :thumbup:

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member

I would contact Joss if you bought the cue new and have the reciept, they may replace it if there is no obvious damage that would cause the problem.

JIMO

Sarnia Shorty

He's going to the bag
Silver Member
The Joss cue is not even close to new. I got it off another guy who got it off another guy an so on. Like I said not worth spending lots of money just to fix it. I will just use it until I find another one for purchase.

Houstoer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I say absolutely no way to fix it; I'm an "expert". There now you have evidence that some "expert" says it can't be fixed so you have a tight clad argument with the wife on getting a new cue !! Good luck !! :smile:

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That happened with my Joss:angry:. It was like under a couple of years old:confused::confused::confused:. Mike Webb fixed it for me and it felt and played the same:D. Mike's the best in my eyes:thumbup:...

PS Now I play with a Webb cue and break with a Webb cue, I love my Webb cues, thanks Mike:thumbup:...

Pete

jcs003

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i heard about this happening from breaking with a cue where its not tight enough at the joint. i have a friend who this happened to and he sent his cue back to the cue maker and the cue maker cut it where the damage was, fixed it and had to put another threaded joint in that area. now its sort-of like a jump break cue. he says it actually hits better now...hmmmm

gulyassy

Custom Cues Since 1986
Silver Member
replacing a handle for a warped cue is not the fix for a warped cue. It is a process similar to cue building. Every cue I have rebuilt has come out like new or better. There are about 5 or 6 steps that have to be redone to fix a warped butt and it takes about 3 months and costs at least $350.00.
I garantee satisfaction and offer a new cue warranty.