My day with Hal Houle and his aiming system

Subsonic2u

No wonder I can't shoot
Silver Member
I was very lucky yesterday to spend a day visiting Hal Houle. He has a beautiful 4 1/2 x 9 Diamond table and light. Hal is 83 and has forgotten more about pool than I will ever know. Was great to hear his stories.

First he told me to forget everything I knew about shooting pool. Hal said he could probably teach me his aiming system in 15 minutes. Well I'm a little slo. It took 20 minutes before I understood. I didn't feel too bad as he said there have been some folks that never did understand.

He says it doesn't matter where the object ball (OB) is on the table, or where the cue ball (Q) is, or where the pocket (P) is, u always aim exactly the same. :eek: U can even put a piece of cardboard on the table to keep the shooter from seeing the P, and still make the ball. :confused: Sounds crazy. The angles are always different depending on where the OB, Q, or P is. So how can Hal say u always aim the same, no matter what the shot? I was very skeptical to say the least. It was not possible and I thought that this older fellow might have lost a few cards out of the deck.

Hal explained for 20 minutes and I just could not understand how that was possible. As I very slowly rolled a ball on the table using my finger, I realized what he was telling me. Finally it was like someone turned on a light bulb and I got it, I understood what he was saying. In no time I was pocketing balls with out even looking at the P. After my initial aim, looking at the OB and Q, I then looked at only the Q, not even checking the P. Again and again I made different shots. There are no angles, no guessing, no ghost balls, nothing. Just the OB and the Q, forget about the P. His aiming system works. I was shocked and amazed. It works. I'm not a top player, and I was making hard shots with ease without even looking at the P. It even works on bank shots! Before I left, I offered to pay him for his teaching. He said no $ was needed because he knew I was a good person.

Hal did ask me not to tell others about how his system works as there are some who have ridiculed him and his system (those who do not understand how his system works) or want to use his system to take people's $, and he won't give them his knowledge. He has a stack of yellow 8 1/2x11 papers, 36 inches hi with every line filled with a person's name, phone #, and city/state of people asking him to teach them. Some he has taught, some could not learn, and some he refuses to teach.

I was a skeptic, I thought what he was saying was impossible, and now I'm a believer. For those non believers, I can tell u this, It works. ;)

Charlie

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Charlie,

Thanks for the report. I've spoken with Hal a few times on the phone and he's a gem.

Chris

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Houligans

Subsonic2u said:
I was very lucky yesterday to spend a day visiting Hal Houle. He has a beautiful 4 1/2 x 9 Diamond table and light. Hal is 83 and has forgotten more about pool than I will ever know. Was great to hear his stories.

First he told me to forget everything I knew about shooting pool. Hal said he could probably teach me his aiming system in 15 minutes. Well I'm a little slo. It took 20 minutes before I understood. I didn't feel too bad as he said there have been some folks that never did understand.

He says it doesn't matter where the object ball (OB) is on the table, or where the cue ball (Q) is, or where the pocket (P) is, u always aim exactly the same. :eek: U can even put a piece of cardboard on the table to keep the shooter from seeing the P, and still make the ball. :confused: Sounds crazy. The angles are always different depending on where the OB, Q, or P is. So how can Hal say u always aim the same, no matter what the shot? I was very skeptical to say the least. It was not possible and I thought that this older fellow might have lost a few cards out of the deck.

Hal explained for 20 minutes and I just could not understand how that was possible. As I very slowly rolled a ball on the table using my finger, I realized what he was telling me. Finally it was like someone turned on a light bulb and I got it, I understood what he was saying. In no time I was pocketing balls with out even looking at the P. After my initial aim, looking at the OB and Q, I then looked at only the Q, not even checking the P. Again and again I made different shots. There are no angles, no guessing, no ghost balls, nothing. Just the OB and the Q, forget about the P. His aiming system works. I was shocked and amazed. It works. I'm not a top player, and I was making hard shots with ease without even looking at the P. It even works on bank shots! Before I left, I offered to pay him for his teaching. He said no $ was needed because he knew I was a good person.

Hal did ask me not to tell others about how his system works as there are some who have ridiculed him and his system (those who do not understand how his system works) or want to use his system to take people's $, and he won't give them his knowledge. He has a stack of yellow 8 1/2x11 papers, 36 inches hi with every line filled with a person's name, phone #, and city/state of people asking him to teach them. Some he has taught, some could not learn, and some he refuses to teach.

I was a skeptic, I thought what he was saying was impossible, and now I'm a believer. For those non believers, I can tell u this, It works. ;)

Charlie

Hey Charlie,
Congratulations on becoming a Houligan. There's nothing like it in the world. You are now part of a special group. Thank you for the report.

Tell Hal, JoeyA from New Orleans said hello. :)

JoeyA

Flex

Banger
Silver Member
Does Hal's system work when shooting with english, when powering the cue ball, when shooting with power draw, and so on?

If so, does he teach a method for compensating for throw and so on?

Flex

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Hal did ask me not to tell others about how his system works

I don't blame him. Everybody who has ever tried to describe it (including Hal) has made it sound like Hal hypnotized them and forgot to snap his fingers before they left.

Do you find yourself clucking like a chicken sometimes?

pj
chgo

ScottW

Fo' shizzle!
Silver Member
I took a clinic with Tom Simpson a few months ago, who claimed (and I have no reason to doubt him) that he has an arrangement with Houle to teach his aiming systems.

On the third day of the clinic, it was Houle day. He showed us three of Hal's systems. They got progressively kookier, until the last one, which made most people get this "WTF?" look on their faces.

It's a system that basically relies on disbelief - you have to just DO what you're supposed to do, let your body do what it's going to do, and trust in what's going to happen. And it WORKS. It's CRAZY!

RBLilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sam

Now if you take the time to go learn SAM with Randy G you will have an even better knowledge for aiming.

SAM is derived from Hal's system, but to me Randy's group makes it out to be much simpiler, and it does take into account for english and a lot of other factors. Anyone that actually believes in SAM knows what I am talking about.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Subsonic2u:
Hal did ask me not to tell others about how his system works

Me:
I don't blame him. Everybody who has ever tried to describe it (including Hal) has made it sound like Hal hypnotized them and forgot to snap his fingers before they left.

Sorry if I sounded like I'm making fun of you. I know that Hal's "systems" work for many players - it's all the mystery that makes me laugh. I think the reason for the secrecy is that what Hal teaches is really psychological in nature and simply can't be described in concrete terms.

I don't think Hal teaches new aiming techniques; I think he teaches new confidence by dressing your shotmaking up in an infallible "system" that remains undescribed and therefore impervious to doubt - the Emperor's New Clothes System. He seems to be filling a need in the pool playing marketplace, and the price is right, so more power to you all.

Enjoy your new shotmaking abilities and ignore those of us who can't seem to resist pulling back the curtain. But I recommend not running right out to the nearest pool hall with the rent money.

pj
chgo

Last edited:

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Patrick Johnson said:

pj
chgo

Enough already. Geeze, let it alone, man.

You've made your point but it is obvious that SOME people DO benefit from Hal's systems. Just let it go. There's tougher nuts to be cracked. :D

JoeyA

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Enough already. Geeze, let it alone, man.

This from the guy who chimes in with "welcome to the secret society - here's your decoder ring"? Find your sense of humor, man.

And read my next post on the subject.

pj
chgo

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Subsonic2u said:

Charlie

Sounds just like my visit to see him.

At first, I was a skeptic just like Patrick. After you start firing balls in from everywhere without trying, you'll think: "Uhhhhh, this guy knows something."

Listening to his stories about going on the road w/ Ralph Greenleaf is priceless. Many of those poking fun at Hal aren't enough MAN to stand in his SHADOW. If he ever said he had another system as good as his aiming system, I'd fly to Europe to learn it. That's how strong his information is.

The doubters can be "player haters" all they want. Go right on ahead;) If I read this post, and I didn't know his information, I'd log off my computer and track this guy down instead of living in ignorance.

I do understand, however, that ignorance is bliss.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
After you start firing balls in from everywhere without trying, you'll think: "Uhhhhh, this guy knows something."

I do understand, however, that ignorance is bliss.

I'd say shooting by feel with utter confidence is bliss, and that's what Hal knows.

More power to you. Glad it works for you.

pj
chgo

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
Patrick Johnson said:
I'd say shooting by feel with utter confidence is bliss, and that's what Hal knows.

pj
chgo
Just in case no one got Pat's subtle sense of humour, I'll break in down in mathematical terms.

Webb said "ignorance is bliss". Pat responded with "shooting by feel with utter confidence is bliss". The "is bliss" is constant. So, "shooting by feel with utter confidence" = "ignorance". And that's what Hal knows - ignorance.

Stick to deflection, Pat. You're just a wise-ass ***** with only sarcasm to add. If someone thinks that lining up with the speck of dirt on the bathroom door helps him shoot better, who are you to say it doesn't? You do what you want. Don't call someone an idiot and say it can't be done when there are hundreds of thousands of players doing it.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Patrick Johnson said:

pj
chgo

Earth to Patrick Johnson: It's not by feel. How would you know what Hal knows if you've never spent time with him?

I'm bored posting on these aiming threads. This is the only group of people on planet earth you can tell them where to find earth shattering information and they still act like a retarded player-hater.

How about we have a shot making competition between the people that know Hal's system, and everyone else? To prove it's not by feel, everyone has to wear blinders so they can't see the pockets. I'm in. Are you in Patrick??

Subsonic2u

No wonder I can't shoot
Silver Member
Patrick Johnson said:
Sorry if I sounded like I'm making fun of you. I know that Hal's "systems" work for many players - it's all the mystery that makes me laugh. I think the reason for the secrecy is that what Hal teaches is really psychological in nature and simply can't be described in concrete terms.

I don't think Hal teaches new aiming techniques; I think he teaches new confidence by dressing your shotmaking up in an infallible "system" that remains undescribed and therefore impervious to doubt - the Emperor's New Clothes System. He seems to be filling a need in the pool playing marketplace, and the price is right, so more power to you all.

Enjoy your new shotmaking abilities and ignore those of us who can't seem to resist pulling back the curtain. But I recommend not running right out to the nearest pool hall with the rent money.

pj
chgo

The above quote is totally incorrect and shows AZers just why Hal stopped helping many people. Hal does NOT teach "just let your body do it" or "relax and let it happen" or and other stuff in the above post. That is bull crap. Hal has a precise aiming system. The shooter must aim precisely and make the shot. Period.

In reply to Flex:

Hal just showed me the basic shot to make balls. I asked about english as from the normal way I shoot, I need to get position to make my shots. He said english can b used. I am going to practice shooting his way for a couple of weeks until I feel comfortable, and then go c Hal again to work with enlish while using his aiming system. Hal called me this morning to c if I used his system in the league play last nite and I told him I did not as I did not feel comfortable yet. He was not pleased that I didn't try it, but will still teach me.

In reply to the link that was posted earlier, that is not the system he taught me, but an older one he says is just for beginners and does not take into account something very important. He no longer teaches that.

Charlie

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
RascalDoc said:
How does someone go about trying to learn this?
Call Hal. Someone on here will have his number. Don't go into this thinking it's voodoo and snake venom. Hal has some very detailed explanations as to why they work. Go into it with an open mind, and you will get a lot out of it. I never look at the centre of the object ball or cueball anymore since learning from Hal years ago. I still proudly carry my HH Decoder ring.

Gregg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
txplshrk said:
Now if you take the time to go learn SAM with Randy G you will have an even better knowledge for aiming.

SAM is derived from Hal's system, but to me Randy's group makes it out to be much simpiler, and it does take into account for english and a lot of other factors. Anyone that actually believes in SAM knows what I am talking about.

I'll take this a step further, after learning an "introduction" to SAM from Scott Lee; I hardly see cut angles an longer; Just SAM ones, twos, threes, fours, and fives, Sixes (sixes are a bit much and really just aim edge to edge, really).

Really works, and Scott says it's really the only aiming system he uses.