My Fargorate progression

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SCR-20230719-kbyi.png

I played in my first tournament that reported Fargorate a couple weeks ago. I was not avoiding them, just none were available. It was a local Friday night event, with short races to 2-3 or so depending on fargorate. I think I played three matches, winning one and losing two. After 9 games, I'm at 386. I felt I could have given the 2 players that beat me the 7 ball. Such is pool:)

Two of my buddies that I used to gamble with daily about 20 years ago are in the mid 500's, with approx 400 and 600 robustness. They are the only players in my area I played even with at any time in my life that are in the system. However, none of us have the pool "bug" like we did when we were coming up, as we are in our mid 40's now. Based on this, I think I will end up at 565 if I ever get to a few hundred games. I'll update if I get more games in the system.

Maybe I can match up with people and say I'm a 386:):):)

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is a girl I know who is rated as a 250, and I know she plays at about a 450 level. She also has very few games in Fargo. In our local in-house league we have many newer players who only started to get their results in Fargo, and I see that several are still getting to the rating they should be even after 40/50 games in. Most of them are a bit too low, but that is because they are all still learning and improving quickly, as well as getting used to competition more and more, so their Fargo is lagging behind their improvements a bit, as I see it when seeing them play and competing against them. At 60+ games in, the ratings get closer to my "feeling" of their skill at the table.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah. I couldn’t believe I lost. I thought I would win the whole tournament. It was my first time at this place and I had never seen any of the players before as it was a state away. The one guy that beat me didn’t even have a cue call. Just made shots.

I can see the “pride” in one’s FargoRate. You’d have to really, really, really, be disciplined enough to not let your pride keep you from letting your legs out to run. If you were trying to stall.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played my first Fargorate tournament about three years ago. I played out of my mind two matches and fairly normal the other 4 or 5 and finished third. The next night I played in the second one finishing just out of the money. A week later my Fargorate was 696, WTF. It's been going down ever since. The last several Fargorate tournaments I've played in I can't seem to beat the low 600 guys. Such is pool, very inconsistent.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played my first Fargorate tournament about three years ago. I played out of my mind two matches and fairly normal the other 4 or 5 and finished third. The next night I played in the second one finishing just out of the money. A week later my Fargorate was 696, WTF. It's been going down ever since. The last several Fargorate tournaments I've played in I can't seem to beat the low 600 guys. Such is pool, very inconsistent.
How did you do with my buddy in Florida a couple months back? He and I used to go at it like crazy when we both lived in Philly 15 or so years ago. He was about a ball better than me. But he has zero games in the system. I think he might be around a 600 is my guess.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
The robustness is the key. Where I have played new players get an estimated tournament director starting number. A complete stranger starts at the top. Local players will usually get an accurate starting number.
With a robustness of 9 it has a huge range.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

When I travel for work, most people that see me play tell me I should be at least a 600. Back home, I have been a 550 forever. I seem to have higher focus playing people I don't know very well. That is very so like a "such is pool" thing LOL

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I travel for work, most people that see me play tell me I should be at least a 600. Back home, I have been a 550 forever. I seem to have higher focus playing people I don't know very well. That is very so like a "such is pool" thing LOL
That is often the case.
Because home the pecking order is well established.

jstdoit

View attachment 709164

I played in my first tournament that reported Fargorate a couple weeks ago. I was not avoiding them, just none were available. It was a local Friday night event, with short races to 2-3 or so depending on fargorate. I think I played three matches, winning one and losing two. After 9 games, I'm at 386. I felt I could have given the 2 players that beat me the 7 ball. Such is pool:)

Two of my buddies that I used to gamble with daily about 20 years ago are in the mid 500's, with approx 400 and 600 robustness. They are the only players in my area I played even with at any time in my life that are in the system. However, none of us have the pool "bug" like we did when we were coming up, as we are in our mid 40's now. Based on this, I think I will end up at 565 if I ever get to a few hundred games. I'll update if I get more games in the system.

Maybe I can match up with people and say I'm a 386:):):)
Good thing you didn't give them the 7 ball or the results would have been worse :)

fuggles

How was your starter rating determined? Or was one even used?
In BCA/CSI pool league the default is 400. If the League Operator thinks your speed is higher, then they will adjust it. We have a fairly small league and I haven't seen anyone start lower than 400. But a few have started above.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How was your starter rating determined? Or was one even used?
I'm not sure? This was a local weekly event, no ties to any leagues. I don't remember what I "played" as this first event. I do remember I saw the number and thought it was low for me, so I bought myself in the calcutta. Which I have never done in 25 years of playing! ha ha. Maybe it was about 400? My name has been in the Fargo system since it came out, as I made an account many years ago. But no games were ever reported until now. I also played in a few DCC's but those were never reported.

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am a 550. I haven't played in a tournament in well over a year due to my schedule.

I saw my rating jump up to 565 and back down again without ever touching my cue.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How did you do with my buddy in Florida a couple months back? He and I used to go at it like crazy when we both lived in Philly 15 or so years ago. He was about a ball better than me. But he has zero games in the system. I think he might be around a 600 is my guess.
The Doctor? He plays well. I think we were about even. Nice guy

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
As we all know Fargo isn't flawless and it's only as good as the data it's provided.

When I first jumped on the Fargo train, I think I was in the 680 range. Strong results against low 700 players served me well. A local buddy of mine that I'm truly a coin flip against was ~620. My reported performances weren't bad, and his kinda sucked. Over time I've slipped to a low 670 and he's slowly clawed himself up to a 650. I'm coming to terms with that I'm probably right about where I should be, and I don't doubt he'll slowly continue to catch up.

It takes time for the numbers to make sense when compared to your avg spd.

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
When I run a tournament that reports to Fargo, I've always given players I know a starter rating (emailing fargorate with their name and location) if they have nothing. It's also an option to NOT give them one and let fargo sort it out. AFAIK.

Last edited:

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What part of florida is your buddy in?